Gift Closet 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My pharmacy had lens cleaning wipes for sunglasses etc at a really good price, they will be OK for in DD and DS stocking as they both wear glasses.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Plans have been put on hold for the moment with buying gifts. Am thinking of making lists of home made goods or IOU's in case things are not improved by Christmas so that I can give a combination of bought and made gifts. I always make a few homemade gifts but am thinking there will be more this year.
Simple things like lollies in decorative jars, home made lemon cordial, IOU's for DH favourite cake, things like that.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have been doing some online shopping from a few stores. One is Priceline (like Walgreens) and one from the DVD store. I have received emails from both of these suppliers saying that there will be delays in shipping. So frustrating that nothing at this time is easy. Glad that these items are for Christmas and there is no real rush.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Husband got a bunch of stuff ( not sure exactly what) for our son. I’ve ordered vacuum sealer bags for him too.
And yes it is taking forever to get stuff by mail. My husband had something that was sitting in Cleveland for 3 days. Not sure why.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Plans have been put on hold for the moment with buying gifts. Am thinking of making lists of home made goods or IOU's in case things are not improved by Christmas so that I can give a combination of bought and made gifts. I always make a few homemade gifts but am thinking there will be more this year.
Simple things like lollies in decorative jars, home made lemon cordial, IOU's for DH favourite cake, things like that.

Those sound like wonderful ideas. I, too, am thinking along those lines. I usually buy gifts for my children on Black Friday and then Cyber Monday for the savings. Will there even be a Black Friday and Cyber Monday this year?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I popped to the shops just before lunch and got some things for Christmas.
I looked at the store catalogue before I went and made sure that I was in and out quickly. It was not busy at all.
I got DD some tights and underpants that I will put with the socks that I got yesterday. They also had some reed diffusers in 2 different scents so I got those for DS to give to DD. They had washing machine cleaner that was $2 off the normal price so I got 3 of those. I am making a "cleaning" bag for Mum and DD that will have dish washing liquid, oven cleaner and that sort of thing so I am glad that I found the washing machine cleaner.
Little by little I am getting a few things put together.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
i ordered a new york shirt and handbag for myself since i cant go there now. came yesterday

I really like that idea. I think I will do that for others for this year. I'll just have to really listen to people in the months to come. So many people have given up trips but an item from that location/about that location may be a nice way to recognize it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I really like that idea. I think I will do that for others for this year. I'll just have to really listen to people in the months to come. So many people have given up trips but an item from that location/about that location may be a nice way to recognize it.
Maybe for a family gift you could do vacation at home. Pack a gift bag with things that you would pack for a vacation. Ingredients for smores, cameras for taking pictures, sunscreen etc and have a holiday in the back yard perhaps.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Maybe for a family gift you could do vacation at home. Pack a gift bag with things that you would pack for a vacation. Ingredients for smores, cameras for taking pictures, sunscreen etc and have a holiday in the back yard perhaps.

Oh, they are great suggestions. I know of a family who were planning a trip to the mountains. Smores would be perfect for them.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have been doing a bit of online shopping which is a new thing for me. I have ordered some DVDs for DS and a playstation game for DS and DFSIL.
A lot of the things I ordered are not available due to the volume of people who are shopping online at the moment. I will write another list and look again in a few weeks.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks to housewife2's idea, I order some food items from Loveless Cafe in Nashville and Cafe De Monde in New Orleans, My parent's trip to those cities was cancelled. Surprisingly, it took less than a week for the packages to arrive. They'll have some new food and drinks to try out now.

I tend to give money as graduation gifts but this year with the quarantine, I think I'll give "I'm thinking of you" kind of gift. I've jotted notes down after conversations on things people like and/or need. three of my friends children are graduating. I've have one gift so far. I've ordered another gift and I'm still researching a third gift.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Picked up Starbucks gift cards to go with the kitchen towel boas I made. So I’ve actually finished shopping for 3 whole people. I’m feeling way behind the power curve right now.
For my son I bought a bottle of wine and a pack of toilet paper lol. What can I say......

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Picked up Starbucks gift cards to go with the kitchen towel boas I made. So I’ve actually finished shopping for 3 whole people. I’m feeling way behind the peer curve right now.
For my son I bought a bottle of wine and a pack of toilet paper lol. What can I say......
Kitchen towel boas - are those the things that have a kitchen towel at each end and something in the middle to go around your neck so the towels hang down on each side?

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Kitchen towel boas - are those the things that have a kitchen towel at each end and something in the middle to go around your neck so the towels hang down on each side?

Yes they are. They seem like they would be pretty handy. I found a you tube video that I made mine from. They were a easy make.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Yes they are. They seem like they would be pretty handy. I found a you tube video that I made mine from. They were a easy make.
I have the fabric to make some of these for my mum. I just need to find the tutorial and make them.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I have the fabric to make some of these for my mum. I just need to find the tutorial and make them.

I can post the link to the one I used if you like. I have another for towels that you make pot holders and sew to the corners. I still want to make one of those to see how they work.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I can post the link to the one I used if you like. I have another for towels that you make pot holders and sew to the corners. I still want to make one of those to see how they work.
I bought a couple at Hallmark in their 75% off sale after Christmas. $21.99 so they were $5.50. The tea towels are an ivory waffle-weave with beautiful red embroidery "You had me at HO HO HO" and the boa piece that goes around your next is red and white almost a gingham but it's not checkered, it's more like a design with snowflakes. So pretty, I'm kicking myself for not buying more. Please post the link - I'm not handy with a sewing machine but Vic is and he might like to try his hand at these.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
That would be fabulous. I am trying to make more gifts this year and I think Mum and DD would find these very useful.