Happy Canadian Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Turkey Day' started by Ahorsesoul, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Wishing all the people in Canada a Happy Thanksgiving this weekend.
    What are you doing?

2. FrostyShimmer

FrostyShimmer Well-Known Member

I love thanksgiving, even though it's been so warm this fall it hardly feels like it's time yet.
    We're going to a pumpkin patch and a corn maze this weekend, then having family over for turkey dinner with all the trimmings. I'm making pumpkin pie and apple pie.

3. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

We don't really celebrate Thanksgiving here but it is a long weekend and in our town there is a small White-Geese festival. I'm having family over for the weekend to spend some time at the festival.

4. girlsinmo

girlsinmo New Member

Have fun Lucie & FS at your Canadian Thanksgiving festivities :)

5. tanya

tanya Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Australia so apart from lots of things to do with turkey and pumpkin... I don't really know much about it. I hope that everyone has a wonderful time just being with family and friends.

6. scn

scn Member

Happy Thanksgiving Enjoy your day

7. Little Elf

Little Elf New Member

Not sure if we will be having guests or not. I tend to find out last minute. I personally hope this year it will just be the family and have a quiet Thanksgiving for a change. (Because every year we have at least 6 other people come last minute.)

8. happy2bme

happy2bme Well-Known Member

My kids are going to visit their grandparents and will be gone Sunday and Monday.

I am not sure if they are going to have a turkey dinner or not. I might cook one for when they get home Monday night.

9. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Hoping all of you Canadian friends celebrate it however makes you happy!!

10. Snowey

Snowey Active Member

We are invited to DH's nieces house, the first time we have celebrated a Canadian thanksgiving in over ten years ! I am making corn casserole and SIL is making a trifle !! It will be nice to be with family :)

11. FrostyShimmer

FrostyShimmer Well-Known Member

Luludou - Is Thanksgiving not a big deal in all of Quebec, or just your area?

I'd say it's pretty big in the Maritimes.....we have quite a few friends travelling home from Ontario to celebrate with family here. DH's family is from Newfoundland and always used to do a jiggs dinner. I miss that.

12. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Wishing you all fun, food, family and friends for Thanksgiving!

13. luludou

FS - it's the same in the whole province.. not a big deal

14. happy2bme

Nancy - I am so happy that you will be with family for Thanksgiving - have a wonderful time.

I was at the grocery store this morning and got a few goodies for me while the kids are away visiting the grandparents.

I may even have a pizza delivered - how decadent.

15. HouseElf

HouseElf Well-Known Member

Loving this weekend! Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday here. :turkey2:

Home from the pumpkin patch - picked two pig pumpkins - now sitting very pretty on the porch. Our Turkey is 'resting' in the fridge and a few squash from the farm are roasting in the oven :)

Tomorrow I will bake the pies, and prepare most dishes ahead of time - just leaving the turkey and the potatoes till Monday to cook.

My husband has requested just us for Thanksgiving dinner (and Christmas) this year - so it will be a wonderfully relaxed time!

We will eat Monday afternoon, around 'normal' dinner hour. We plan on going for a walk along the canal - it's beautiful weather right now, and after dinner playing some board games as we 'make room' for pie!

Happy Happy Thanksgiving!

16. happy2bme

Your Thanksgiving plans sound wonderful.

I hope you and your family have a really great day.

17. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating! Everyone's plans sound great!

18. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends.

HouseElf, I have been to Ontario and I think that the canal is beautiful. Enjoy your walk and your weekend.

It sounds like you are all going to have a lovely weekend with family, friends and good food. Enjoy.

19. luludou

Thanks everyone. Here's a survey the local new station did and the results.

L'Action de grâce signifie quoi pour vous? (What does Thanksgiving mean to you)

Une fête familiale (Family holiday) 12%
    Un week-end de 3 jours (3 day weekend) 50%
    Rien en particulier (nothing in particular) 39%
    Nombre de votes : 3093 (Number of votes)

So it is like I said mainly a 3-day weekend

20. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

Lucie,

I am curious as to the history behind the Canadian Thanksgiving.