HGP 2016 Week 12: Attic/Storage

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My best laid plans of last week fizzled! I am coming to the slow acceptance that sometimes days or even a whole week may be like that and 'it's okay'. Well in theory it's okay, it still bugs me lol :rolleyes:

Today I found my desk and pulled out my lists to make the most of the week. Will feel so much better when the attic is finished! It has become a dumping ground of 'think of this later' messes.
Well this is the week to make the final cut - living in an old home we are limited in how much stuff we can stuff in here, and lots seriously need to go!
Will be interested to find how much stuff I actually 'need' and how much was just delayed in junking.

I love that as we plan our menus we are also planning for the dishes they will be served in! Part of my HGP binder is the 3x5 recipe cards with our traditional dishes, and the serving dish is marked on the card.

Made a list of needed dishes, seem to have broken a few bowls this past week! Went online and found lots of linen napkins on Etsy. I really do prefer paperless napkins - they are great for quickly wiping up the spilled cranberry juice that inevitably spreads across the table towards someones lap; patterns ensure that there is not really any visible stains and a cold water soak in borax and Dawn before being tossed into the laundry ensures the stain does not spread in the wash.

Ready for week 12? I am!

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Trying to pace myself before the final sprint to Thanksgiving! Trying to accept that some days/weeks just fizzle!

DS came down with stomach flu yesterday and DH is down with a severe cold or some such yuck and I've been guzzling Airbourne all weekend. Sigh. I think today will be better than yesterday - DS at least seems a little better today.

Will try to spend some time cleaning up toys in the "attic" - our finished upstairs area. And the small storage room is in serious need of re-organizing. That is also where I have all the packages of gifts, etc. to be wrapped stashed.

Got the silver polished finally! Redid the Autumn lights arrangement above bookshelf in hallway - looks so much better now that I have the lights back! Emptied the spare bedroom closet of 80% of the STUFF that had collected in there. Remade the spare bed with the proper covers instead of the ones I threw on there after camping.

Other than that it's been a ton of cleaning and laundry from the boys being sick. Backing up my photos on my phone right now and sipping Airbourne and planning my day. I have a whole list of leftover HGP cleaning tasks that I've targeted to get done before Thanksgiving. I know the family that is coming will want a tour of the new house - this will be their first visit...

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got the pantry DONE! Looks so much better in there! Also did some work in the laundry room and all the misc. clutter is GONE! Just need a quick wipe down of the machines and the counter and I'll be sweeping the whole downstairs floor including in that room soon!

Have the cloth napkins for Thanksgiving ready to go in the wash so they can be ironed and folded. And the pumpkin salt and pepper shakers I ordered arrived so I'll wash those and set them out to air dry.

Also got the living room closet done as well. Looks much nicer in there. Considering purchasing some pretty baskets to hold all our gloves, hats, etc. Will go to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to take a look!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Our attic spaces (we have 2) are in great shape. Only been in this house a year and we were very careful about what went up into the attics. We purged a lot when we packed up to move and again as we slowly unpacked after moving.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Smart way to go, Minta!!!

I did end up buying the baskets for the living room closet shelves - hoping to do some simple tags to label them this weekend. They'll hold gloves, hats, etc. and with one for all the dogs leashes, bandanas, etc.

2-Hour delay due to fog this morning for DS school - which meant I snuck in wiping down the appliances in the laundry room and the counter and detailing the inside of the washing machine. DONE!

Only thing left in that room is vacuuming the floor and I'll do the entire downstairs floor this weekend!

Tonight I will be making food for a surprise baby shower at work tomorrow so not much chance of HGP'ing! I've got my Thanksgiving grocery list ready to go, I'll get most of it during tomorrow's shopping rounds with a few fresh items purchased next Tuesday morning.

I also completed my master Thanksgiving timeline - broken down to a very detailed level of what I'll be doing when leading up to serving dinner on the big day!

Need to review it now and fine tune. AND I need to review my BF shopping plans! Still trying to fight off DH's cold too! I need a NAP DAY!