HGP 2016 Week 3, Entry/Foyer Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Our main entrance (the most used) is actually our side/back entrance into the kitchen.
My front entryway is off our sun-porch (currently being painted) and where I have my desk. I have a small antique roll-top desk and wood office chair that is 'mission control' for me :) One task I am working on for this area is creating a landing spot for my 'work-bag' and a larger cork-board to hold not only the family calendar but the papers that are 'tasks'. Very excited to have this job completed on my honey-to-do list.

The one thing I did do for this area is actually outside in the garden, I hung a new bird feeder on the tree. Now I can view the chickadees and finches from the comfort of my planning space.

My homemade gift this year is 'black garlic' currently wrapped tightly in foil and being heated for 40 days!

I have already purchased all the wrapping paper, tags and twine/ribbon.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I used the brown paper wrap theme last year for all gifts that we gave to others. Looked fantastic. I was really happy with the look/ theme.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Front foyer is in great shape. Just did a deep clean and repainting it last month. Just need to finish putting a few more decor on the walls and mounting the coat/bookbag rack on the wall. I am going to repainting the front door and frame (inside and outside) in the next few weeks.

Started stocking up on baking supplies. Picked up several rolls of foil that were marked down cheap at the grocery store and picked up 3 rolls of parchment paper from the dollar tree to line my baking sheets. I have plenty of decorative cookie tins to fill up with cookies to be used as gifts. Still working on finalizing my baking list. Adding in a few new ones this year.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I worked in the basement... deep-cleaned basement LR (walls, ceiling, woodwork, furniture)

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
I spent a ton of time outdoors today, mowing, weed whacking, pulling weeds, hedge trimming, washing the outside of our RV, leaf blowing the driveway and patio, filling bird feeders, etc. I was probably outside for at least six hours working on things. I love being outside!

Here's what I have to work on this week. I still have some things from week 1 and week 2 to wrap up, but they're mostly fun things like cooking and decorating. :)

Week 1
[ ] Wash the outside of foyer windows. **I'm going to do this this evening. Just taking a break... :)
[X] Trim hedges, weed garden, etc. (near porch)
[X] Put away porch and patio items no longer needed for fall.
[X] Clean and organize barn for fall/winter. This is partially done, but I want to get metal trash cans to store the chicken food in as we had a mouse issue last winter out in the barn.
[X] Trim bushes and trees. This took about 2 hours today from start to finish.
[/] Feed pine trees. I didn't have enough fertilizer, so I need to get more and finish the last two trees.
[X] Begin fall garden cleanup.
[X] Put away pool.
[ ] Decorate porch for fall (mums, cornstalks, autumn wreath). **This will likely happen next weekend.
[ ] Tidy freezer to make room for freezer meals.

Week 2
[ ] Wash the outside of living room windows. **I thought I might get to this today, but yard work took up too much time.
[ ] Update seasonal decor in the living room.
[X] Dust.
[X] Vacuum.
[X] Steam clean the carpet.
[X] Remove clutter.
[ ] Make one extra meal for the freezer labeled Holiday Meal.
[X] Order Christmas cards and address labels. **I'm buying Christmas stamps on my way home from work tomorrow.

Week 3 -- To do this week!
[X] Check and update supply of seasonal candles, room spray, etc. **I bought way too much of this stuff last year and I have PLENTY for this year. I am on a personal "no buy" ban on fall candles. :)
[ ] Clean foyer area and decorate for fall. Dust foyer table, etc.
[ ] Vacuum entry rug.
[ ] Clean sidelights. **Going to do this this evening.
[ ] Wash front door (inside and out).
[ ] Polish glass on storm door.
[ ] Vacuum stairs.
[ ] Polish handrail with orange oil.
[ ] Make one batch of holiday goodies. It's Pumpkin Bread time!
[ ] Buy two canned food items from menu.
[ ] Designate an area in the pantry for holiday food items.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I did my foyer last week as it is really a part of our loungeroom. I am not really sure what I will get to today as my DB will be coming over to do some trimming of trees etc.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Searched and found the basket I want for my work-bag landing spot - in the attic, so it needs a good cleaning before I can use it for my work-bag! Think a good scrub with a brush will make it good as new, plus a day in the sun :) One thing completed off my list - and plans given to DH for my corkboard.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Week 3 already! Time is flying!

I was able to get majority of entryway tasks done yesterday! But I've also included the downstairs bath - seldom used since our lower level is still not "finished" and we're never down there - unless I'm doing laundry!

Entryway Cleaning Tasks

[X] Dust light fixture
[X] Dust ceiling and corners for cobwebs
[X] Wipe down/polish inside of front door/Windex glass
[X] Magic Eraser walls and baseboards
[X] Clean light switches/vent covers
[X] Empty bench, assign items homes as needed, return items as decided
[X] Vacuum rug
[ ] Spot clean rug as needed

Downstairs Bathroom Cleaning Tasks

[ ] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[ ] Windex mirror
[ ] Clean sink and toilet as usual
[ ] Shine fixtures
[ ] Vacuum
[ ] Hang decorative items
[ ] Try to get DH to hang towel bars/hooks

Holiday Prep Tasks

[X] Make at least two freezer meals - DONE!
[X] Buy extra grocery items from non-perishable part of Master Grocery List
[/] Craft Christmas Gifts

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
I ran lots of errands after work today, but I had time to wash two exterior windows before the sun went down. I decided I would get the entirety of the ground floor windows done this week, no matter what room they are in. It's easier to do this before it gets really cold. I also took down one screen that needs to be replaced. That is headed to the hardware store for repairs tomorrow. Things to finish:

Week 1
[X] Wash the outside of foyer windows.
[X] Trim hedges, weed garden, etc. (near porch)
[X] Put away porch and patio items no longer needed for fall.
[X] Clean and organize barn for fall/winter. This is partially done, but I want to get metal trash cans to store the chicken food in as we had a mouse issue last winter out in the barn.
[X] Trim bushes and trees. This took about 2 hours today from start to finish.
[/] Feed pine trees. **I looked for the fertilizer today, but didn't see what I needed to finish this up. I'm going to try at the hardware store tomorrow.**
[X] Begin fall garden cleanup.
[X] Put away pool.
[/] Decorate porch for fall (mums [X], cornstalks [ ], autumn wreath [X]).
[ ] Tidy freezer to make room for freezer meals.

Week 2
[/] Wash the outside of **ground floor** windows. [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] 2 of 9 done!
[ ] Update seasonal decor in the living room.
[X] Dust.
[X] Vacuum.
[X] Steam clean the carpet.
[X] Remove clutter.
[X] Order Christmas cards and address labels. **My stamp purchase was moved to Tuesday as the post office is near the hardware store.

Week 3 -- To do this week!
[X] Check and update supply of seasonal candles, room spray, etc.
[ ] Clean foyer area and decorate for fall. Dust foyer table, etc.
[ ] Vacuum entry rug.
[X] Clean sidelights.
[ ] Wash front door (inside and out).
[X] Polish glass on storm door.
[ ] Vacuum stairs.
[X] Polish handrail with orange oil.
[ ] Make one batch of holiday goodies. It's Pumpkin Bread time!
[ ] Buy two canned food items from menu.
[ ] Designate an area in the pantry for holiday food items.

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Good grief you are all putting me to shame today - I am full of some horrid lurgy and have been laid up on the sofa taking pain killers all day today - I still feel no better and the kids seem intent on turning my brain to mush!

I have however this morning sorted out direct debits for my gas/ water and electric so that is a bonus and I cleaned my daughters bedroom on the weekend and got rid of 3 bags of rubbish and she actually has some space now which is nice!

I have also gone through a clothes site the kids like and made a list of clothes they would like for Xmas for each. Some are in the sales so I will pop and pick them up tomorrow and I'm hoping to go and get my husband a hat he wants as our second anniversary present.

I promise to upload pictures when the room stops spinning! and I will look at the holiday prep now

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I finished the downstairs bathroom today! All except for hanging towel bars and some pictures I have - will have to work with DH on that.

jyclassy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
1. Deep clean closet in main bedroom
2.Paint window sill in bedroom
3.Foyer ..Done
4All comforters, curtains,bedding wash..Done
5. Upstairs bathroom deep clean..Done
6.Kitchen cupboards clean
7.Wash Windows (waiting until they finish picking beans)
8. Organize bookcase
9. Clean& organize craft room
10.Make list for baking supplies

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Since it's main entry week I'm playing catch up. I don't have an "entry" per say...when you open the door you are in my living room. So I've spent the last few days getting things put up that have been out for a couple months...and basically cleaning everything! Just general catch up and cleaning. It's been nice and I already feel better. I had at least 4 loads of table clothes from various church activities the last several months and the last load is in the dryer. My dining room was full and now that's been moved into my daughters room temporarily until I can get all the canning jars boxed up correctly for the season. My house is dusted and vacuumed. The bathrooms are clean and the floors swept...I worked in my garden and I pooped scooped.. ;) I went through a months worth of mail and filed what needed to be filed and paid some bills. Tomorrow I will work on medical bills and get those taken care of (been procrastinating there). Today I even put away some stuff on my back porch and cleaned the sliding glass window. Last but not least I've spent alot of time in the kitchen. We had dinner guest last night...two young men that ate a TON of food....thank goodness I made EXTRA. I also prepped for a friends move Saturday. When I asked how I can help she asked me to bring some food for the guys helping out. I'm like...I GOT THIS. No lifting..I can definitely bring food! I also skinned and deseeded tomatoes from my garden today and got them in the freezer for sauce later. Writing this all out makes me realize just how much I got done..and makes me feel better when I think I should be doing more. It's been a long while since I've had a week at home with nothing scheduled so I'm taking advantage of it as much as I can! I figure this basic catch up will put me in a position where I can now keep up with the HGP and feel productive!

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Ok so I skipped ahead a week since I have already done the entry/foyer/front door area a few weeks back prior to the plan starting.
Yesterday I was feeling better from my cold bug and I tackled my kitchen/dining room......it makes such a difference to come downstairs and home to a clean house. My hallway and front door are still clean and tidy, the stairs are still clear, the living room is still clean and so is the kitchen/dining room and the bathroom - which is all my downstairs space...

I do however have a mountain of clothes and washing in my bedroom to sort, my bedroom to clean and tidy and my sons room. The main problem is that in the process of clearing rooms I have moved things into my room that I plan to charity shop or sell so now my room looks like something you would see on 'hoarders'........so my plan of action is
Tomorrow - weather dependent!
nice weather - sort the front garden, deweed, cut hedges and general tidy - also need to plan another skip run,
bad weather - sorting all the clothes and getting them put away into the right rooms
Then it will be general upkeep of the downstairs room and when m off on Tuesday next week that day will be photographing stuff and getting it put on local selling pages on facebook, and tidily planned away in my room.
Then I can sort it properly

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Skippy...it always seems like we have clothes to fold and stuff to put away. I wonder sometimes..why don't I put my crap away..LOL I've definitely gotten lax in this area as I've gotten older myself. Good luck!!

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Good morning, ladies!

This morning, I woke up to the sound of rain outside; it's going to be a wet kind of morning. I decided to spend the morning working on some Thanksgiving planning tasks. When the rain stops, I'm going to take a break and head out to my favorite apple orchard for my annual cider doughnut treat (pumpkin spice cider doughnuts, that is!). They have a nice little cafe and bakery. I usually get a turkey sandwich and a cup of chili, some fresh cider and (of course) a doughnut for dessert.

Pumpkin bread baking will commence this afternoon! :)

This is the Thanksgiving planner I'm using this year (it goes in my holiday binder): https://www.etsy.com/listing/250829346/thanksgiving-planner-printable-organizer?ref=market

How are you spending your day? :)

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Cheery - could I be cheeky and ask for the pumpkin bread recipe please - every year I say we will carve a pumpkin for halloween and we never do because Im at a loss with what to do with the innards - we dont really eat soup (I do kids dont) but Im not a huge fan of pumpkin so I think bread might be the way to try it

MinnieCo - I know - mine is about the same height as me at the minute if not slightly taller - and Im 5'5! Youd think I had a hoard of people living in this house but I dont - theres for of us - aged 37,32, 12 and 6!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have changed my 'corkboard' and added a magnetic memo/planner board to hubbies to-do list. Going to use the corkboard in the kitchen, but given how I use my planner space I need a bigger workspace!

Today I went a little off plan, emptied and unplugged our large freezer to clean and defrost - we have been working on 'emptying' it. Once clean tomorrow, I can work on my fall/winter meal plan and start stocking the freezers as items are on sale.

Foyer is in good shape now, just need the new magnet board and I am a happy planner.