HGP 2016 Week 4, Master Bedroom Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Week 4! We are a month in ladies and gents :)

I have two gifts purchased, wrapped and ready for giving. Several stocking stuffers that I still need to wrap and stamp/label.

Homemade gift: My 'black garlic' seems to be going well! Took one bulb out today to check and it looks just like its supposed to given how many days its been wrapped and heated! So far so good. I took the 'test' bulb and made a mash with maple syrup and black peppercorns - was an amazing rub that was smokey and sweet on the baked salmon - tonight's dinner.

I do have thoughts of knit slippers for Christmas as well, will make a visit to the wool shop this Tuesday and see what inspires.

Linen items: will look at Etsy tomorrow and order some new paperless napkins.

Master Bedroom: my bedroom can easily become a mess. It seems to be the 'dumping' ground for things going up to the attic or items that needed to be 'elsewhere'. Seasonally I am still wearing capris, but the sweatshirts and knits have been needed some mornings. Made a list of a few clothing items I will need, including socks for myself and hubby as well as a couple sweaters for myself. My 'favorite' open black cardie is now only a 'house' sweater!

(Week 4 a day early? Yes. I find myself flipping to the next week of my planner just after dinner on Saturdays!)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
The bedroom is pretty easy for me..I try and keep up with it, but there is always something. I have some in between sized clothes I need to go through. I was hoping I'd transition before it got cold, but I'm not thinking that now. :(

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
MIchelle I hear ya! I am down a hard won 12 lbs, still have 40+ to go. My clothes are not too far apart in sizes, as I have been struggling with weight gain for the past 16 years. I try to pick items that will accommodate a size (or two) up and down but that's not an easy task. I worry a little about winter this year as it will be hard to keep up the walking program, thinking I will need to try out a gym membership to access the treadmill/elliptical; don't know if I can actually use them, haven't tried since the accident.

I think that's why I like socks so much lately :) my feet are still the same size since college lol

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well, I attempted to get started on Master Bedroom yesterday but did not get very far! :(

Freezer cooking took up a lot of time this weekend, but I did strip the bed and wash the pillows. Unfortunately, one of the loads of pillows had a malfunction. One of our body pillows got caught inside the machine somehow and ripped and some of the stuffing came out. The end result inside the washing machine strongly resembled a cotton candy maker - UGH! Sewed it back up - not pretty but won't see inside the pillow case!

At the end of the day I managed to get the bed remade with clean sheets and pillows. Only to wake up this morning and notice that the zipper tab to DH's body pillowcase had come off in the night - Double UGH!

Still have the entire rest of my list in the bedroom to do this week - except the the windows! At least I got those done during front porch week!

And I'm trying to remember that I also vacuumed whole house, cleaned both upstairs bathrooms, changed DS's sheets, did normal laundry/ironing and general pick up in between everything else!

Master Bedroom List:

[X] Strip bed: Wash pillows, put on clean sheets
[ ] Wash dog bed in this room
[ ] Dust ceiling for any cobwebs
[ ] Clean fan blades, dust fan
[X ] Dust blinds/spot clean as needed
[X] Windex windows/Clean window sills
[ ] Sort/Organize both bedside tables
[ ] Sort/Organize my dresser
[ ] Sort/Organize DH's dresser
[ ] Organize contents of jewelry armoire
[ ] Empty/Reorganize drawers under bed
[ ] Empty, clean and reorganize closet
[ ] Replace batteries in closet lights
[ ] Dust
[ ] Clean TV screen
[ ] Clean mirror
[ ] Use dry mop underneath dressers, night stands, etc.
[ ] Vacuum
[ ] Wipe down wood flooring
[ ] Clorox the scale

Holiday Prep:

[X] Make at least two freezer meals - DONE!
[ ] But extra groceries from non-perishable part of master grocery list
[ ] Sort freezer contents, throw out old, make room for freezer meals to come!
[ ] Craft Christmas Gifts!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Not following the plan in order but worked in the basement today. All deep-cleaning is done (ceilings, walls, windows, blinds, floors). Now I need to declutter a few places but it is in good shape

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great job, luludou!!!

On my lunch hour today I did a little bit more in the bedroom. Got all but the one catchall drawer of my dresser emptied, sorted and refilled.

Emptied the drawers under the bed, rearranged items so seldom used are harder to get to and often used are easier. Also took several blankets, extra mattress covers and summer clothes upstairs to storage.

Need to tackle the closet next!!! That will be a big job and I know I could wait until Closets week but I'd better do at least part of it now!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did a bit more last night, cleaned off the top of DH's dresser which has become a catchall for all sorts of items. Dusted when I was done and it looks SO much better now!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Worked on the bedroom closet a bit last night...we don't have closet doors yet since the opening is big enough that DH will have to build custom doors and he hasn't had the time yet.

So it is really important to keep things neat and tidy since it is wide open. We have two rows of shelves up in the closet and one sore spot has been an area I keep DH's colored tank tops and muscle shirts stacked up in. The piles always get so messy!

Took them down and folded nicely and put them in a drawer in my dresser that was now empty thanks to my reorganizing it the other night!

Also took down all of the baseball caps on the same shelf and made DH tell me which ones don't fit so they could go AWAY and neatly stacked what was left.

Will keep trying to work on the closet!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So tempted to just throw my hands up - frustrated with lack of time in the evenings to get anything done!!!

All I did last night was empty the top drawer in my nightstand, get rid of trash, took items out that go somewhere else and put back what was left. Looks MUCH nicer now! It was crammed full before.

Other two drawers in the nightstand are used to hold extra items I've gotten couponing - toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorants, loofahs, etc. It's nice to have them stored close to the bathrooms so we can grab as needed.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I started the master closet over the weekend, still need to finish that tonight and tackle the master bedroom. Goal is to have it all done tonight. I want to switch out the shorts with the sweat pants but I afraid if I do that now it will warm back up again.

I did buy an over the door hanging rack for the back of the closet door to hang my purses and bags from. I need to get one more to place on the back of the bedroom door for the robes.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I did go through clothes AGAIN. someone donated a ton of clothes to me and I was honest with myself and went back through and got rid of some of them I know I won't wear. Some will get me going through winter and keep me clothes while I transition to another size during my weight loss. So that's done..today I think I'll watch a movie and go through some of the tubs under my bed and purge. I keep stuff like hair coloring supplies...waxing supplies..nail polish..all that kind of stuff I don't have else where because I have a small closet in the hall. It's been awhile since I've done a purge with any of it.