HGP 2016 Week 6, Kids Rooms

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
This week, we focus on kids' rooms for deep-cleaning, decluttering and organizing so that there's room to spare for holiday gifts.

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Check smoke detectors and clean them, change batteries if needed.
  • Make "goody basket" for guest bath, from samples found in abundance in stores right now.

Reactions: Minta

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My 'kids' are older but I have found the mess is proportional to their size sometimes :)
Overall their rooms are in fair order as I did a thorough declutter before school started. I have a list of needed winter bedding, as well as clothing for holiday shopping. I am not pre-baking this year, but have been pre-mixing the dry ingredients to ease on the prep time and clean-up (lots of flours to bake gluten free)

Into the holiday meal prep, made up slow cooker Pork Stew and Maple BBQ Pulled Beef

Added the smoke detectors and maintenance to my 'honey to-do' list; I don't do ladders.

I do not have a guest bathroom, but I like adding items into a basket for home use! Especially spicy soaps and bath salts.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Kids' rooms have been deep-cleaned not long ago. we are having guests for Thanksgiving this weekend so not much will get done but I need to get the house guest-ready.
Yesterday, I deep-cleaned my upstairs pantry, so now I know I do NOT need to buy more chippits for Holiday recipes!
Today will be working on a few more kitchen cabinets.
I need to go buy stamps for Christmas cards.
Smoke detectors - dh's department he changes the batteries the weekend we change Time.
The weekend following Thanksgiving I plan to work on freezers and freezer meals. I have bought bacon & sausages for the Christmas appetizers. I will prep them and just need reheating when the time comes

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This is going to be a crazy week! Lots of stuff going on at work, I'm making dessert items for one event on Wednesday and then "catering" a staff lunch on Thursday.

Will do my best to fit in HGP tasks in DS's room as I can. I did already switch out the seasons in his closet so that is done!

And I did some freezer cooking this weekend as well.

Smoke detectors are hard wired into the house electric - no batteries :)

No guest bath :)

Have continued to pick up gifts here and there. Got three over the weekend. No wrapping yet, probably won't start on that this week, maybe next.

HGP Kid's Room Cleaning Tasks:

[ ] Dust ceiling corners and ceiling fan
[ ] Dust/Clean blinds
[ ] Clean window/sill
[ ] Dust shelves, frames, etc.
[ ] Empty/Clean/Reorg Dresser Contents
[X] Relocate outgrown items to garage sale pile in basement/Take items he'll grow into to attic storage
[X] Organize clothes in closet/Swap out for cold weather items
[X] Clean out/Reorganize Closet Toy Storage - BIG JOB!!!
[ ] Vacuum

HGP Holiday Tasks:

[X] Freezer Cooking
[/] Decorate for Halloween! - In progress!
[ ] Start addressing/filling out Christmas Cards - Have the boxes sitting in my craft area, ready to begin!
[X] Buy at least two non-perishable items from Master Grocery List
[ ] Set up wrapping station
[/] Work on list of gift suggestions for DS to give to others as they ask
[ ] Crafting!!!

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Somehow I didn't post yesterday but it saved it - oops! Small update to report! Got DS's closet done! Looks so much better!

And I finished putting out the Halloween decor too!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Kids bedrooms were decluttered, organized and cleaned before school started. They have to clean their bedrooms weekly. I steamed cleaned their carpets last month. As of now no over night guests for Thanksgiving.

I bought new batteries for the smoke detectors over the weekend and I need to pick up the filters for the heating system this week. Stores do not have the filter size I need in stock so I have to order them on line.

The outside Halloween decorating is done. Just need to finish decorating inside.

Paid off the Christmas Club this past week so now just waiting until the end of the month to get the check so I can finish the Christmas Shopping.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Thanksgiving weekend coming up in Canada :) looking forward to a long weekend, great weather, a hike and pie!
Going Thursday into town shopping; I don't like to shop so try to 'reward' myself with a detour for a specialty coffee and holiday decor browsing! We have the Turkey Bowl this Saturday (our sons football game) and plan on turkey dinner Sunday - leaving the holiday Monday to board games, a hike and leftovers!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Have a great Thanksgiving, Tam!!! Sounds like a lot of fun things planned!

I dealt with the top drawer to DS's dresser last night - the "junk" drawer of his room! The one that is supposed to just hold extra sheets for his bed, lol!

The rest of the dresser is in pretty good shape, but I need to go through his sock drawer and remove the ones that are too big or too small. Too small will go in garage sale pile, too big will be stored upstairs for now.

Also have some baby blankets in one drawer that were gifts from family (hand made) that I'll move to a storage location to make more room in his dresser for clothes.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Haven't made any more headway in DS's room, but I have been working on other holiday tasks. Got started on my Christmas cards and have them at least a third done.

I also reviewed my Christmas budget, made updates, accounted for $ spent and we are looking pretty on track.

Ordered a few more Christmas gifts with Discover reward points - one for a girlfriend and a couple for DS. Total was $0 :) Love that!

Going to order postage stamps online too so that will be done! I think I'm going to just get the Charlie Brown designs from last year, they are so cute!

I need to get CRAFTING! This weekend is going to be packed though! Cleaning RV to get ready for our Halloween camping trip + freezer cooking + a trip a local fall farm - UGH! What I need is something that allows me to function on only 4 hours of sleep. Then I could maybe get it all done!

I wanted to set up my wrapping station this weekend too. We'll see!