HGP 2016 Week 7, Guest Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: GUEST ROOM
http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/07-guest-room-week
HOLIDAY PREP

• Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.

Reactions: Minta

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I am always surprised how quickly the -ber months move along! Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. Had a great fall hike yesterday, leaves are amazing this year even with the drought we have been experiencing.

We do not have a guest room, but do prepare for guests! Overnight guests bunk down in our parlour, linen for the davenport sofa bed is washed and packed in a clear tote - I added pillows to my list of needed items. I do not plan on guests for the holidays, but my nephew will be staying with us in January as he finishes off a course at the college in the capital.

Looking forward to some yard work this week - the weather has taken a big downward turn in temperatures and the garden is ready to be cleaned up for the coming winter.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The -ber months, lol! Like that!

I got quite a bit of freezer cooking done this weekend, including cookies. Some I baked then frozen, some I froze the shaped dough. Will try to bake them and then freeze the baked cookies.

Guest room is in pretty good shape, just need to strip the bed, wash the sheets and remake. The window in that room is done. The closet could use some attention though - need to move garage sale items from it elsewhere but need DH to setup clothing rods in downstairs bedroom closet first.

Also trying to squeeze in "guest" bathroom this week as well! Things are hectic as we are gearing up for Halloween camping trip and deep cleaning the 33ft RV is also on my plate! Got started yesterday but still have a ton left to do!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
No guest bedroom, we use air mattresses for guests. Was thinking about getting those bags that you use to a vacuum to suck the air out of to store the spare guest pillows in. As of right now no overnight guests for the holidays but that can always change even at last minute.

Hoping to get out Friday with DH to pick up a few Christmas gifts for the kids.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Started stripping the guest room bed and got interrupted, so I just have the door closed now. :)

Did deep clean the guest bath though, which is also the bathroom DS primarily uses. His bath toys had gotten out of control (he keeps grabbing little Happy Meal figures to play with in the bath) and the basket was overflowing. Soaked them all in hot soapy water and scrubbed, air dried and then put only real bath toys back in the cleaned basket. Rest of toys are back where they belong. He was thrilled because he had forgotten he had 90% of them so they were like new, lol!

Finished Christmas cards yesterday too! Just waiting on taking a Christmas photo of DS to have printed and slip into envelopes before sealing. And I ordered my Christmas postage stamps!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Okay, making myself accountable. I am behind, so I'm going to go with Entryway this week since I don't have a guest room. This weekend I need to "winterize" the front porch and back porch and get stuff put up before our first snow. Once I get stuff put up, I'll clean my front windows on the outside and get my porch swept.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I used this week to clean out the main floor hall closet and get all the winter accessories organized and matched up. Put soft pocket shoe holder on the inside of the closet door for all the hats, earmuffs and gloves and got a shoe organizer that attached to the rod in the closet for the scarves. Also organized my reusable grocery bags and back packs. Placed a couple bin in the top of the closet, on for the seasonal kitchen towels and oven mitts and another for seasonal blankets.

Started caulking the front door (inside and out), ran out of caulk before I could finish the outside. Will pick up more today so I can finish the caulking tomorrow.

kakelady

Retire Member
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
I fee like a Christmas addict going to a meeting... But, it's reverse.. I'm going because I'm BEHIND!!!! Am I the only one that gets stressed out by this? These Lists are supposed to help me.. but when something happens and knocks me off course.. I get stressed out. Like this past weekend when I should have been cleaning and organizing I was getting a tree off my house. Then the water heater went out. So many unexpected things are taking up my holiday prep time :).. See there is something wrong with me.. I would rather be getting ready for Christmas.. than using my Chainsaw.. and I love my chainsaw. :)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Kakelady .. Sorry you had such a bad week. I hope things get better. The bright side of these lists is that you can make them fit your needs and your schedule. Don't stress out and just do what you can do. Some weeks may cover areas you don't have or don't have to worry about so use that time to play catch up in other ares previously covered.