HGP 2017 - Front Porch/List Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Week One is List Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

During this week, we kick off holiday prep with lists, lists and more lists.

We'll print helpful calendars and forms for Christmas organizing and begin to create a Christmas notebook.

This week's cleaning focus is the front porch: We'll clean and organize the area around the front door so that our home will be ready to welcome visitors during the holiday season.

Ready to jump into List Week? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/01-list-week

Reactions: HouseElf and Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hmmmm....list making? I'm not sure I can handle that. Hahahahahahahaha...said me NEVER! :)

SO ready to jump in this week!

Excited to see other's plans and progress! No matter what your focus this week, please share the details! Hearing from each other helps keeps us motivated!

Post your cleaning checklist and/or your status on the holiday prep tasks! Post your pics of the spaces you've HGP'd after you're done.

If you are really BRAVE, post the before pic too! lol

Let's DO this!!!

Reactions: Minta

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I really don't have much of a porch, but will do what I have. I am ready.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I've never been able to stick with either of the prep plans, but I am going to give it a go again...getting ready to print...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I will be doing the front porch next month instead of now, I like to clean the porch and check the caulk around the windows and door frames right before we decorate the porch for Fall. So instead today I got a jump start on the kitchen and started cleaning out cabinets and rearranging them.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I don't have much of a front porch either. But I am sure that what I do have needs some attention. Front door and screen door can do with a clean and o do have some cobwebs out there!.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We have the Kitchen/side (open) porch and our front porch (enclosed).

I have printed off the new calendars and added reminder dates to my planner.

Yesterday I removed the glazing of 15 double windows and today I sanded them (wood storm windrows) plan is to have them primed and painted this week! My husband is working on the new under-skirting for the front porch - and we have installed new siding last weekend. There are several projects that will take us into the fall before we are finished in this area - but overall the porches are improving :) this week!

Lists created:
  • Master Gift List - recipients and ideas
  • Christmas card list (checked)
  • Visits to make - penciled in for Sundays in Advent
  • Advent/ Family celebrations
  • Menus for Thanksgiving, Halloween, Feast of St. Nicholas, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day, Twelfth Night
  • Goodies for Sharing/Gifts
  • Family Favorite meals, freezing ahead
  • Long-term shopping list divided into: canned/dry goods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, candles, etc.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I got my planner printed. Not feeling the best right now. Have chills hopefully some tynol will help.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Jody - Hope you feel better soon!

Tam - You have a LOT going on! You are rocking it!

Katrina - Hopefully this will be an easier week on the plan for you!

housewife2 - Good luck on getting a lot done on your day off!

Minta - Good thinking on swapping some things around! I got a head start on some things coming up on my HGP plans as well once I finished the porch!

Nancy - This year is YOUR YEAR! You've got this! :)

Doodlebug - Smaller porches are GOOD! Means more time for the "fun" stuff this week!

Wk of Aug 27th – Front Porch

[X] Sweep down cobwebs
[X] Clean porch ceiling
[X] Wash siding
[X] Clean outside of windows
[X] Clean porch lights
[X] Clean front of door, polish, clean inside door frame, etc.
[X]Sweep porch and steps, vacuum rug
[X] Wipe down bannister
[X] Put up fall wreath
[/] Clean up front flower beds (deadhead, etc.) - Small start on this only. Planted 4 mums in the spots where they didn't make it last winter.
[/] If possible, clean inside of front windows in both bedrooms - Got insides of all windows in our bedroom done, but forgot to tilt them in and wash the outsides! Will do that this week! Also have the spare bedroom window that looks out onto the porch to do as well!

Holiday Prep:

[/]Gifts to Give - Continuing work on Christmas Gift list already underway
[X] Christmas Card List updated
[X] Parties to host Planning Documents
[/] Menus for all holidays, parties, etc. - Almost done with these!
[/] 2017 Baking List, including food gifts - Good part of planning done, just need to finish up!
[/] Make Ahead Meals 2017 - Tweaking things a bit still!
[/] Long Term Shopping List divided into Non-Perishable and Perishable - Will finish this up once I am done tweaking Make Ahead Meals list
[ ] Print calendar pages for rest of year
[/] Craft - Have made good progress on some projects!
[ ] Buy extra grocery items from non-perishable part of Master Grocery List - Will add some things to this week's grocery list!
[ ] Review DS’s toys and target items to be donated

I actually did all my front porch steps on Saturday and I am so glad I did! Sunday was just crazy! Nothing would have gotten done if I waited! As mentioned, I also did the insides of all bedroom windows and made a really good start on two small windows and two large in the dining room area of our great room. The windows are SUCH a big job I'm trying to get ahead!

Did cleanup on the deck as well, emptied some pots of flowers that were done, trimmed up all the cucumber plants of the dead, yellowed parts of the vines. Pulled base/roots of tomato plants out of the other 3 planters and planted new mum plants in their place. Marigolds are still blooming great around the edges of the pots.

Took patio umbrella stand off the porch and put in car to donate. Swept the deck, tidied up a few misc. things as well.

I'm TIRED! lol

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Lovely AJ!
We don't have a 'real' front porch and it's too early to cut all flowers. I deweeded and cut off some plants that had dried up. Windows will be washed later in October.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I am an HHP'er, but this year I am dipping my toes into HGP and sprinkling some into my HHP plan. Since HHP doesn't officially start until next week, this give me the perfect opportunity. Here are my plans for the back porch as we do not have a front porch (I will update when completed):
  • Take plant containers and flower pots to the barn - done
  • Sweep cobwebs from ceiling - done
  • Sweep steps and under doormat -done
  • Sweep back patio and take in cushions - done
  • Clean out flower beds - done....finally the rain let up
All of my lists and binder sheet are already printed and ready to go!

Last edited:

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Wk of Aug 27th – Front Porch

[x ] Sweep down cobwebs
[ x] Clean porch ceiling
[ x] Clean porch lights
[x ] Clean front of door, polish, clean inside door frame, etc.
[x]Sweep porch and steps,
[ ] Put up fall wreath
[x ] Clean up front flower beds (deadhead, etc.) - Small start on this only.

Holiday Prep:

[ ]Gifts to Give - Continuing work on Christmas Gift list already underway
[x ] Christmas Card List updated
[ /] Parties to host Planning Documents Have small gifts purchased. I am hosting my women's group this year
[ ] Menus for all holidays, parties, etc. -
[ ] 2017 Baking List, including food gifts -
[ ] Make Ahead Meals 2017 -
[ ] Long Term Shopping List divided into Non-Perishable and Perishable -
[ ] Print calendar pages for rest of year
[X ] Craft - Finished Advent Calendar
[ ] Buy extra grocery items from non-perishable part of Master Grocery List - Will add some things to this week's grocery list!

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Last night I continued work on windows! Tilted in the master bedroom windows and cleaned the outsides. Also did the entire window, blinds and all in the spare room. Then I did the outsides of 4 windows in the dining room and did one more window in the living room - all but cleaning the bottom sill track which I'll get back to. I think I'm going to just keep going on windows until they are done this week. Only have 3 more in living room and one in DS's room and then all main floor windows will be done!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Dh pressure washed the siding on the house so the windows were done also. I need to declutter the front porch of items. I have way too many.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'll be doing HHP but using HGP at times. This is a good week for me to start thinking about the lists.

Cleaning:
Front Porch:
  • Sweep porch Done
  • Get down Cobwebs Done
  • Clean windows Done
  • Clean light fixture Done
  • Dust off benches Done
  • Shake out welcome mat Done
Holiday Prep
Make the following lists:
  • Gifts to be given, amount to spend (include family, friends, school, church, etc)
  • Update card list. Decide how many cards are needed.
  • Visits to make Done
  • Parties/Entertaining Done
  • Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties
  • Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Decide how much needs to be made and divide it between the weeks from now through December 1. Done
  • Favorite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead.
  • Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc.

Last edited:

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
my front porch is done will be putting my fall flag out on tues . will be looking for some mums to come out so i can sit them on the steps

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Everyone is doing GREAT! I finished the last 3 windows in the living room area last night. Only one more window on the main level of the house - that one is in DS's room and I think I may leave it for the week I do his room on the plan. Going to switch my focus to getting ahead on some of the other tasks for next week. I also have a small list of to do's to get the outside/deck area ready for our party the weekend after Labor Day.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Didn't get to any more of my HGP tasks last night but I did knock out all the items on my list for outside prep - at least for the moment - for the party. Still have some large branches to pick up out of the yard and put in the burn pile.

Will try to do some more HGP'ing tonight!