HGP 2017 - Guest Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Week Seven is upon us!!!

Guest rooms ready for holiday guests? They will be, after we tackle them during Week Seven of the Holiday Grand Plan: Guest Room Week!

This week, we deep-clean, organize and prepare for overnight guests.

In holiday prep, we keep plugging away on gifts, whether to-make or to-buy. Decor alert: Halloween is coming!

Ready? Let's get organized with Guest Room Week in the Holiday Grand Plan!

http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/07-guest-room-week

OPTIONAL: Alternate room/area targeted this week if no guest bedroom! Share your plans!!!

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I need to get in the Guest room but it will have to wait until I get the linen closet painted -maybe Tuesday or Thursday. Then I can get the stuff out of the Guest Room and back into the closet. It will be a decluttering of the closet too Win Win.
Once that is done I will start on painting the kitchen cupboards and woodwork so we can paint the walls in there. When kitchen is done I will stop for the painting until after the holidays. I can not tell you how much I love the clean feel of newly painted rooms that have been decluttered. :)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We do not have a guest room, but do have linens for guests (pullout bed and cots).
Added a few needed linen items to the master list.

We have been emptying the one freezer, in prep to defrost the other.

Tomorrow is our Thanksgiving! Lots of prep completed today for that :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Miss JoDee - I hear you on the feeling you get from fresh paint and decluttering - it's bliss! You are doing so great!

Tam - Sounds like you are on top of things! Have a great Thanksgiving!!!!

I am switching it up this week and doing the play area upstairs and the other main floor bathroom. I'll hit the guest room later in the plan. If possible, though, I'll work on it some this week as well.

Play Area

[ ] Clean window/sill
[ ] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[ ] Clean ceiling fan
[ ] Vacuum floor
[X] Clean up/Sort/Organize toys and art supplies - DONE! This was a big job but everything looks SO much better now. Used some wooden crates to get a bunch of coloring/activity books out of the cardboard box they've been sitting in FOREVER! This was the hardest part of this room and now that it's done I should be able to easily knock out the cleaning tasks one night this week!

Main Floor Bathroom

[X] Wash rugs
[ ] Dust Ceiling Light
[ ] Dust for cobwebs as needed
[X] Clean tub
[ ] Clean window
[X] Clean sink/toilet
[X] Empty/Clean/Reorganize vanity - Got rid of some old items, baby wipes, etc. that just never got emptied out of those drawers. Also found a small plastic container to hold DS's toothbrush in one drawer - can be wiped clean as needed!

Spare Bedroom (as possible)

[ ] Strip bed and wash all sheets/blankets
[ ] Dust ceiling fan
[ ] Dust ceiling corners
[X] Clean window/dust blinds - Done earlier on the plan! :)
[ ] Clean off dresser, put away items
[ ] Oil dresser wood
[ ] Wipe down end table
[ ] Dust lamp
[ ] Organize closet contents, reassign items as needed

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Holiday Prep Update!

Got 2 bathes of cookie dough in the freezer yesterday afternoon!

Started on my Christmas cards - got several done and will continue to work on in the evenings!

Ordered supplies needed to make pinecone firestarters which are gifts this Christmas

Washed PJs for Pajama Elves box this year. Was unable to find a new robe for DS is stores so will go back to ordering it online.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Found the robe online! Minecraft style I know he will love. Got it from Target, used a coupon code and free pickup in store - only $14 and some change so I'm happy!

Caught up on some HGP cleaning tasks last night!

Play Area

[X] Clean window/sill
[X] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[X] Clean ceiling fan
[X] Vacuum floor

Main Floor Bathroom

[X] Clean window - Had DH take the screen off so I could wash the glass!

Master Bathroom

[X] Clean window - Same as above!

Now I just need to get DH to put the screens back ON! lol

Also wrapped a birthday present for a party we are going to this weekend!

Heading to post office on lunch today to ship a couple of birthday presents and to see if they have holiday postage stamps in. If not, I'll order them online!

Did a little bit on Christmas Cards last night as well, enough to realize I need to check on/update several addresses! So I will work on THAT today!

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Just finished painting the linen closet. Didn't think I would get to it until Friday but today's plans changed so I got right to it.
I will declutter the items to go into the closet while paint is drying and hopefully put it back together tonight or tomorrow morning before work. I need to take time to think about how I want it to look.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great job, Miss JoDee! Painting can be hard to get started on, way for jumping right on it when you had the chance!!!

Ordered postage stamps for Christmas cards yesterday!

Also picked up a couple things for holiday baking from Master Grocery List when I was at the store yesterday!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
The kitchen is painted at least what I am doing this weekend. I still have the cabinet doors to do and will work on it this week. I am sure when DH gets home tomorrow he will be pleasantly surprised but find things I missed or needs something. That's okay because I left the paint out for him if needed, it will be easy for him to grab. I am so so H A P P Y! I might have time to do the hallway yet. I am a manic can't seem to stop. I may need an intervention

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good for you missJoDee! it'll all be fresh and cleans for the Holidays.