HGP 2017 - Kids Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Welcome to Week Six on the HGP!!!

Will Santa be visiting your house this year? Time to sort out the short stuff!

This week, we focus on kids' rooms for deep-cleaning, decluttering and organizing so that there's room to spare for holiday gifts.

Our holiday prep assignments include assembling freezer meals, working on hand-crafted gifts, and continuing to buy gifts and holiday supplies.

Ready? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/06-kids-rooms-week

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Check smoke detectors and clean them, change batteries if needed.
  • Make "goody basket" for guest bath, from samples found in abundance in stores right now.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Kid's Room Week

I got a head start yesterday!

[X] Dust ceiling/fan for cobwebs
[X] Clean window/sills
[X] Dust blinds
[X] Dust shelves, frames
[X] Target any outgrown toys for donation - Done! Clothes as well! In back of my car to take to Goodwill!
[X] Empty, clean, reorganize dresser contents
[X] Empty, clean, reorganize toy shelves, bins and drawers under bed
[X] Clean out, reorganize closet toy storage
[X] Organize clothes in closet/Bring down cold weather items
[ ] Vacuum

Holiday Prep

[/] Gifts to Give List - In progress
[/] Master Make Ahead Meals List - In progress, will continue to tweek
[ ] Make one freezer meal, meal component or batch of cookie dough
[X] Decorate for Halloween
[ ] Start addressing Christmas cards
[ ] Buy at least two non-perishable items from Master Grocery List
[/] Update Amazon gift wish lists my myself and DS
[/] Start planning Christmas photo shoot for DS and the dogs - We're going to put antlers and bell collars on both the dogs and dress DS as Santa! :)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My boys are young men, but live at home with us - so their rooms are now joint efforts. I pick a day for each room and they assist. My idea of clean and organized is a little different than theirs :)

We added 'buy new smoke detectors' and batteries to our list. I would like one in each bedroom - the hardwired ones we have are only in the hallways.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
[X] Vacuumed last night!

All of our smoke detectors are hard wired but one started beeping the other day because there is a backup battery in them that was low - DH replaced!

Got a lot done this weekend but there is still so much to do - always! :)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Okay so I thought I was going to follow this HHP but seem to be doing a different one.
The living room has been cleaned and repainted.
The front deck has been repaired, DH had to replace a lot of rotted wood. It still needs the railing put back on.
Cleaned behind the washer and dryer since we had to do a dryer repair.
Ceiling the bathroom is painted and I will go in and paint the walls as soon as I get done with my lunch which I am eating now. Once painting is done I will lay some vinyl tiles on the floor in there. I am using what I have since I have enough and rather than buying more. It will look better than the hair dye stains that is there now.
There is debate as to whether or not we will replace the medicine cabinet at this time or not. We'll see.
After we are done in the bathroom (today hopefully) I will move to the kitchen. Again, I will get all the woodwork painted and then the walls. Will be painting cabinets too so will take me most of the week to get it done. Hoping by Friday or Saturday we can paint the walls. Floor is an issue too, not sure what to do with it. $ only goes so far.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Holiday Prep

[/] Gifts to Give List - In progress, but this will continue to be something I work on and tweak as the weeks roll by!
[X] Master Make Ahead Meals List - This is done! Keeping it simple this year because DH is still trying really hard to stay on his Keto diet - so only cookies and appetizers for our party are going in the freezer!
[ ] Make one freezer meal, meal component or batch of cookie dough - Scheduled to do this either this weekend or one weeknight next week!
[X] Decorate for Halloween
[ ] Start addressing Christmas cards - Will print address list and bring down cards tonight! If they are sitting there looking at me I will be more likely to do a few as I can here and there!
[X] Buy at least two non-perishable items from Master Grocery List - Picked up puff pastry last night - I need about 5 boxes this year so will get one each week. Also got baking supplies for cookies.
[/] Update Amazon gift wish lists my myself and DS - Still in progress, I've done some work on them
[/] Start planning Christmas photo shoot for DS and the dogs - We're going to put antlers and bell collars on both the dogs and dress DS as Santa! I will check my supply of Jingle Bells in my craft room - plan to cut simple strips of felt that can be tied around the dogs necks - I'll tack on the bells to make a fun "collar". We're probably going to order the antlers. Still need to figure out DS's outfit - DH doesn't want PJs. Will look online...

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I stopped at Walmart and picked up hot cocoa packets for the Pajama Elves box. Also got some silly socks that will help fill the advent calendar this year.

Looked in VAIN for Hershey's Cinnamon Chips! :( They are the key ingredient in my Snickerdoodle Bars recipe that I was going to use to supplement my cookie platters this year. I can order 2 bags for $17 - YIPE! - from Amazon - that is the cheapest I could find. Grrrrrr....

I did buy some dark chocolate chips which will go in my Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl cookies - I was just going to use Semi Sweet but I was so frustrated at not being able to buy the cinnamon chips - into the cart they went!!!