HGP 2018 - Holiday Decor Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/14-holiday-decor-week

We're in the home stretch now!!!

Decor is central to Week Fourteen at the Holiday Grand Plan: it's Decorations Week!

The holiday season is here, so we'll bring it home this week, organizing holiday decorations and decor storage.

In holiday prep, the Christmas tree makes an appearance as we complete holiday decorating. Are gift packages ready for mailing? It's time!

Ready? Let's get organized with Decorations Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Other than gently reminding DH to hook up light projector outside the front of the house the holiday decorating is DONE, DONE, DONE!

It took all weekend, but I got through it!

Did a lot of cleaning as well with a mind to our Christmas party coming up on the 1st!

Got the PJ Elves box packed and it "arrived" for DS last night! :) After shower we got him into his new PJs and slippers and had him pose with dogs for our annual photo. Placed online order for the photos this morning - will pick them up tomorrow hopefully.

I got the Christmas dishes washed and put in the plate drawer.

I filled the Advent calendar after DS went to bed so that is done!

I went through gift closet and have things pulled out that need to be wrapped first because I am shipping them.

Christmas cards are all written up, just need to seal and stamp - plus I'll need to pick up photos I ordered for 14 of the cards and slip those in before sealing.

Went through the pantry again and pitched a bunch of expired crackers - ugh - and just gave it a good straightening overall so it looks neat and tidy. People always end up in the pantry to admire during our parties so I wanted to make it look good!

Between all of that, cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming, dishes and laundry I am glad the long weekend is over! Thanksgiving was great - I feel like I blinked and it was over!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Over my long weekend off from work, I was able to get my main tree up and decorated and the mini-tree (a 2 footer) in the family room done. Holiday linens are out, as well. My main goal for this week is to get the table and counters cleared and presentable, and get my Christmas angel collection set out. And, I need to hang the garland on the deck railing -- it was too rainy yesterday and blizzard conditions were predicted (40 mph winds were recorded in my neighborhood at 8:00 PM), so I decided to hold off until late this week when the temps and conditions are better. Even with the weather we're having, I couldn't bring myself to put the snowflake flannel sheets on the bed. After the temps this morning, maybe I'll rethink that! Have a great day, everyone!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
All inside was done last week. Outside decoration has not been done yet - dh's job.
Cards are all set and ready to go (missing one address)
Advent calendar was filled up last week too.
I cooked skors squares, pound cake (cut up in portions), and fudge this weekend. all is now in the freezer.
Today I will wrap and see what's missing in gifts.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Goodness you have all been busy.
Decorating will start for me this coming weekend. DD will come over Saturday and fluff the tree and then we will decorate it.
I will start decorating the rest of the house while she is doing that. I will ask DH to get the totes out on Friday.

I bought 5 white photo frames last week and have framed some photos from past Christmasses. I am really pleased with them. I will clear a shelf in the dining room and put them out.

I still need to bring out the Christmas dishes and wash them, check the good table cloth and a few little odds and ends. I am hoping to get that done early next week.
Still need to work on the Christmas countdown, it is something new for me for this year and if it does not get done I will leave it for next year.

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Your frames sound lovely, Katrina!!!

I put postage stamps on all cards and DH helped me seal all but the ones I need to slip photos in. I'll pick the photos up tonight while doing groc shopping at Meijer.

Went to Aldi last night but will finish up getting things for our party tonight. Have several items on my list for buttoning up Christmas shopping as well.

Also have to come up with a Disney/Marvel costume for DS for Friday. I'm picking up a white baseball cap and I'm going to make him an Olaf outfit - lol

I've changed my dinner party menu quite a bit at the last minute - made things simpler I think!

I've picked out carry ins I'll take to work Christmas potluck - which I just found out date for.

I feel like thing are moving along pretty good! Fingers crossed!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I know that we are probably talking home decor but what about us?
I have made hair appointment for colour and cut for Friday 7th December. Have made appointment for nails for the 13th December. Have bought Christmas teeshirt for Christmas morning and to wear to my work party for this weekend. Have bought a black shirt with gold stars for Christmas dinner at Mum's.
We deserve to be "decorated" too

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hear, hear!

I did order a new night cream yesterday, does that count? lol It was a splurge for me at $25!!! The things we do... :)

Last night I was at the grocery store - that ate up most of the night. Did pick up the Christmas photos and got DS's name, age and the year written on the backs of all of them.

I need to try and get in to have a facial or something...that would be so nice!

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Last night was productive. In additional to normal weeknight routine and a quick trip to Kohls I got the shower deep cleaned, the entry way ceiling cleaned (a spider had taken up residence in one corner!), a batch of Snickerdoodle bars baked, the warming tray pulled out, the tiered serving racks brought down from upstairs, and got frozen items needed for the party brought upstairs and easy to hand. Also shredded a couple of blocks of cheese I'll need for appetizers and took a lb of bacon out to thaw. And I put my platters in the bar fridge to chill.

Tonight is karate night after work and we get home late. But I do have a small list of things to do tonight for party prep as well.

The big thing was finishing DS's Olaf costume for school on Friday - got that done last night too and can I just say - I LOVE MY HOT GLUE GUN!!!!

Reactions: Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We finished decorating yesterday. The live tree in the sunroom is now decorated, that was the last of it. We played battle of the Christmas lights- I think they won. My lights are 11 years old. After this Christmas they go in the trash. We were able to make it work but I would have liked a few more! Our flood lights are on their last leg too. So we will check outs lights and keep an eye out for sales.
We are getting decorated too! Hair next week and a couples mani/ pedi the week before Christmas. I have sweatshirts I'll embroider too.
I have my menus planed for my brunch with girls friends and our dinner with our friends. I'll work on either dinner rolls or croissants ahead and stick in the freezer.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Inside of the house is all decorated. Just gotta get the totes back up in the attic. Still have to do the outside though, hoping this Sunday to get that done.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Myron's Mom - I have fought with lights in the past too! I've finally broken down and gotten to the point where I won't buy anything not LED anymore. They last way better and they have made a huge improvement on our electric bill!

Last night after we FINALLY got home I was able to do a handful of things food prep wise that will put me in a good place to get rocking tonight - it's going to be a long night!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I put 2 large strings of lights on the tree yesterday. 1 set of coloured bulbs and 1 set white LEDs. The coloured ones are only half working. I will look this week and buy some more white LEDs and get rid of the coloured ones. Sad as they are only 2 or 3 years old.

Decorating is done here. I am happy. Did a few new things this year which I am pleased with. Might take photos so I remember for next year.