HGP 2019- Entryway/Foyer Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: ENTRYWAY/FOYER

Use the basic remove/clean/replace policy for those items which are wall-hung.

Consider how the area looks when a visitor enters your home. Again if it doesn't belong there, remove it!

If you have a chair or rack that welcomes clutter, consider moving it until everyone breaks the habit of just dropping everything off in the foyer.

The next time you enter the front door after being away a few hours, look around and sniff around just like you were in a strange house. Our homes can develop "houseatosis". There are a great many air freshener products and potpourri assortments on the market today, use one if you need it!!

Don't forget to clean out the umbrella stand, if you have one. If you don't, do you need one?

Do you have a rug or maybe carpeting in this area? Do a thorough job of vacuuming it. you'll be pleased.

Do you have a window in your front door, or "side lights" which could use bit of glass cleaner?

Don't forget to thoroughly dust/wash front door itself, and also the baseboards in the area.

Plan a place for everything which needs to be kept near the front door and keep it there! Everything else goes!

Now, do you need to go back and spend time on last week's project? If not, could you choose another declutter project that would enhance the beauty of your home?

Choose something close to the entry or living room to help give that feeling of flow between organized rooms.

Like smiles and yawns, organization is contagious!

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area or storage place to put these in so that they are not used in everyday cooking - make sure to label them so that when food drives start your holiday supply stays intact and the food drive gets the food purchased for it.
  • Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.
  • Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note.

Reactions: Minta

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
It is going to be a fairly easy week.
  • Clean front door area (Done)
  • Clean back doo area (Done)
  • Straighten up laundry room area [which is in my back entry area] (Done)
  • Bake holiday good [fall treat] (Done)
  • Buy 1 item off holiday food list (Done)
  • Supplies for holiday gifts (Done)
  • Clean front door window
I was able to most of it done yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: PamelaG

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
My entryway is quite small, actually part of the living room. It's just a square of vinyl floor and a coat closet. So all I need to do is wash the vinyl floor and the woodwork, and clean out the closet. I hung up my 'happy harvest' sign on the door. I froze some meatloaf for a dinner later in the season, that's a start.

Reactions: PamelaG

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My entrance way is part of a really long hallway that opens into the kitchen. It contains one small cupboard that stores candles and melts. Tidied the cupboard and the down light, washed all the walls. Changed the decor on the cupboard for Spring. Need to use of some candles and melts as I have quite a few.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I did my front entryway 2 weeks ago, just needs the floor scrubbed. The back entry I did last week.
Today I got a few things to start my Christmas cards at michaels.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My entry way is much like horsemama's. I straightened the closet and scrubbed the floor. I lit a candle, trying to use it up and it is smelling quite nice. Took me longer than I expected, I had to clean some paint off the nine lite window of the door that was painted recently. All is good and so fresh. Just need to maintain and decor is good until November. Would like to decorated for Christmas Thanksgiving weekend, but may be at my mom's Hopefully, we can come home Friday if we go up ahead of time.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul