HGP 2019 - Front Porch/List Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Here we go! If you haven't had a chance to print out the lists for your planner, here is Week 1 - it's all about the front porch and lists.

HOLIDAY PREP: LISTS, LISTS, LISTS
  • Print the Holiday Grand Plan calendars for reference.
  • Make the following lists:
    • Gifts to be given, amount to spend (include family, friends, school, church, etc)
    • Christmas card list (computerize it!) Print list and update it, if needed. Decide how many cards are needed.
    • Visits to make
    • Parties/Entertaining
    • Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties
    • Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Decide how much needs to be made and divide it between the weeks from now through December 1.
    • Favorite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead.
    • Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc.
  • Create a Christmas planner to organize holiday planning.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I already swept off my front porch. Plan to do the same to the back porch. No point in doing a major clean as Hubby wants to replace the front porch this fall or early winter.

I will work on my lists and menus on Wednesday (my desk day).

Reactions: Minta and PamelaG

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
OH thanks Pamela for getting us started. I am keen to see how I go with a cleaning plan. I need to be committed to getting it all done so that the house is tip top for Christmas and through the hot, hot months of Summer.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I really need to work on my front porch, cobwebs everywhere. I don't think I have seen so many cobwebs on the porch before. I bought a new fall welcome mat that I can place out too. I will work on my lists and planner later tonight.

I will be going out of order this year with many weeks busier than others plus I already got a jump start on some things like steam cleaning the carpets yesterday and tackling the upstairs hallway last weekend.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I want to buy a new fall mat as well. We have a generic C initial that's relatively new so I need to come up with some sort of storage options for mats. Any ideas?

Reactions: Minta

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I am pooped! Since it is 91 degrees today here I opted to work inside and save the porch for a cooler week. Any fall decor put out right now would wither away.
So, DH and I spent Labor Day laboring in the master bathroom. It was GROSS! I am ashamed at how nasty it was but delighted at how sweet it smells now!
I am off tomorrow as well for a dr’s appointment so I plan to work on my jewelry organizing (when you sell jewelry you have a LOT of it!) and get my notebook reorganized and lists made. Wish me luck!
I am so excited about being back with all of you! I love the HGP. It means the holiday season ( Labor Day thru New Years for me) is underway!!

Reactions: luludou and Minta

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I really need to work on my front porch, cobwebs everywhere. I don't think I have seen so many cobwebs on the porch before.
You could leave them there and be ahead of the game with Halloween decorating.lol

Reactions: Minta

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Cathymac welcome back!
No front porch and too early to cut all flowers in front of the house and wash windos (will do that end of september, beginning of october) and plant bulbs.
I will be working on cleaning top kitchen cabinets… have started.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i cleaned off the front porch threw away some dead flowers. i hung my fall flag even though its still warm out.

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
I hung a fall sign up on the front door and washed the front picture window (full of doggie slobbers). I need to replace the flowers in my 2 pots on the front stoop, and I'd like to get a few mums to put in the flower bed. I also thought of putting a standing scarecrow by the stairs, if I can find a way to tie him to the railing so he doesn't blow around.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
I only have a front step and my summer flowers are still growing and blooming. I will be waiting a few weeks and than start on that area.

Youngest DGS was looking for a way to earn some spending money for his trip to Germany last month so he helped move my sewing room from the unfinished basement to the spare bedroom. That bedroom got cleaned before we changed it out.

Basement has also been taken care of. Cobwebs removed, floor sweep, and some new shelves for the totes that were stacked on top of each other. When through the totes before putting them on the shelves I got rid of some things and gave myself another tote that I can use as my gift closet.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Got a start on the main floor hallway yesterday. Since I had to clear the hall table and a few other things out of the hallway to make room for old furniture to go out and new in I washed the walls and gave the floor a good cleaning.
Will put up the fall/thanksgiving decor next week and in mid October when I change out the thanksgiving decor for Halloween I will add the bigger floor rug at the front door. Will also at that time put the basket of hats etc under the hallway table.