HGP week 1 List week (and porch)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Hi ladies. I thought I was start a seperate thread for the week. But please feel free to start any following weeks as they come if you want.
Here is the link to the main page for the plan http://christmas.organizedhome.com/holiday-grand-plan as well as this week's goals http://christmas.organizedhome.com/holiday-grand-plan/list-week

Our deep cleaning/organizing area is the front porch area.

Holiday Prep: make a Chriatmas notebook if you don't have one and make/printo out list for thigns likes:christmas cards, baking, gifts, stocking stuffers....

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I already have my notebook as well as lists started. I have printed a few and made some additions to my list but that part is done. As for my porch, needs some work. Spiders and bugs are back on our side entrane that we use so I need to wash it down and spray for bugs. Also we have a trunck that keeps the kids outside toys by the door and things are coming out of it, beside it that needs to be dealt with. i will inlist their help since it's their stuff. Also I have a few hanging baskets of dead plants that i would like to plant something else in but that might wait alittle longer it's still hot here and I will end up killing them as well.

What are your plans for this first week?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
No front porch, but I have my lists & will be working on them. No front porch but have lots of basement decluttering... so I'll be working there.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have my notebook together and ready. I've started working on my various lists. The front porch definitely needs some sweeping. I de-cobwebbed yesterday but that's a daily event around here, we have so many spiders. I need to water my plants too. I would love to paint the swing a nice white but I doubt i'll get to that.

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Well, it was so hot here today that there was no way that we were going to get anything done outside. I did get my lesson plans done for the week, and am tweaking my lists...haven't updated them in awhile! Its time! Hopefully, we'll get the outside work done by working for can hour each nite after dinner this week.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I'm doing pretty good with the lists part of this week.

Small front porch but it does need cleaned and I hope next weekend..Labor Day weekend to go ahead and put some autumn decor out on the porch...:)

I need to

[ ] Clean spiders webs from porch

[ ] Wash siding around front door and porch

[ ] Spray paint little table that sits on front porch

[ ] Spray paint this little wire rack/basket thing that sits on the table and will be filled with pumpkins and gourds

[ ] Mop front porch

[ ] Get a new door mat for front porch

ALONG with this I hope to

[ ] Weed flower bed that runs along front of house

[ ] Weed fairy garden that is by front porch

[ ] Also clip dead leaves etc from plants not just weed.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We don't have a front porch, so I concentrated on the entryway which needed a lot of help! I wanted to buy some pretty mums when we finished for the pots out front, but the pickings were slim at the garden shop. I was surprised. Our mums are already blooming out back. Maybe they'll have more next week.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Our front porch is under major renovation :(

My DH has put supports under it, and we just added a new roof. Next is adding siding and the skirting... plus stairs. Then everthing will need a coat of paint!

I need to sew a new cover for the futon, add new fabric and glue the old chairs, plus sew curtains.
The door really needs a new paint job - and we have to add a mail box slot and porch light... :rolleyes:

My notebook is always a work in progress.

I did start Christmas cards today... made three!

VillageHome

Retire Member
Sep 9, 2009

I'm excited to get started. My front porch has been a working distributon point for a couple political campaigns this year so we haven't sat out there or enjoyed it at all. The plan for this week is to clean off all the leftover "stuff" and return it to living space.

[] Clean off porch
[] Wash porch
[] Put out the early fall decorations
[] Weed front flower bed
[] Look for new light fixtures

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
This week, I have a LOT to do:

[] Sweep front porch area, including front door and windows
[] Wash all outside windows on ground floor
[] Hoover house (badly needed)
[] Update the presents list
[] Write the cards list, including a list of handmade cards to make (and for who)
[x] Print a calendar for December to start tracking events
[] Decide on location for the Holidays - know we'll be in MIL's for DD's birthday but where on Christmas Day itself?
[] Inventory the pantry to start using up items, and make a list of items needed for Christmas baking
[] Write a master crafting list, to ensure nothing gets forgotten and I have time for it all
[] Sew DD's duvet and pillow cover set
[] Sew DD's Christmas PJs
[] Sew 4 crayon rolls
[] Sew 2 makeup brush rolls
[] Sew Dollie clothes (one or two outfits, depending on time)
[] Make 3 cards
[] Harvest vegetables from the plot, and start getting it covered for winter
[] Help DD settle in to school

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Great lists everyone! I might just use a duotang this year for my lists etc. I think tis might be easier to drag to the store with shopping lists or work , etc.
My Master gift list is started, now I need to find some porch sitter patterns and paint some signs for outside(welcome, etc) I have my Christmas pattern(was supposed to paint it in Jan.)
http://plumpurdy.com/proddetail.php?prod=PP146
Michael's is opening here soon-so excited!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We don't really have a front porch it is a reset area where we have some flowers in a box, goose (concrete you change the clothes out-was g'mas and I got it) have a banner there and then my big window. There are 2 light fixtures. Told DH last nght that we need to take the fixtures down and wash them and that I would like to take the windows apart and wash tonight. He wasn't to up on that so will see. So need to change the banner, change the goose outfit (or make a fall one) and maybe put out the scarecrow. Would love to get a new front door but that we have to wait.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Woo-hoo! HGP has begun!!!!

Fortunately, the Front Porch was easy enough to take care of yesterday! Even took care of the Side Porch too! :)

[X] Sweep down cobwebs
[X] Clean outside of windows
[X] Clean front of door, inside door frame, etc.
[X] Wipe down swing
[X] Sweep porch and steps
[ ] Put up fall wreath/sign
[ ] Clean up front flower beds (deadhead, etc.)

I do still need to get outside and clean up the front flower beds still, but plan that for one night this week!

Since I'm already almost done with this week's tasks, I am going to try and get a head start on next week's tasks.

One thing I want to have ready for Living Room week is the collage photo frames that have been sitting on the floor in my office for months. I've got the desired photos saved to my thumb drive and just need to coordinate getting them printed out this week.

Having those ready to hang up adds extra motivation to Living Room week! :elf:

Now on to my status with all of the other tasks for this week!

[N/A] Print the Holiday Grand Plan calendars for reference

Make the following lists:

[X] Gifts to be given, amount to spend (do need to add Daycare to this list now!)
[In Progress] Christmas card list (Need to doublecheck I've updated all addresses from the little slips of paper I've jotted things down on and stuck in my binder!)
[X] Visits to make
[X] Parties/Entertaining (Need to run plans for dinner party past DH - but that will the only event we host this year)
[In Progress] Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties
[Almost Done] Goodies for Sharing/Gifts (Have to make some final decisions but it is more a matter of narrowing down my choices - so many yummy things I want to make!)
[ ] Favorite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead (Jury is still out on this one this year! Probably will make a list of various food "components" to stock the freezer with instead. Precooked chicken breasts, pre-browned turkey sausage, pre-cooked turkey bacon, etc. Eating healthy and freezer cooking do not seem to go hand in hand! :( )
[ ] Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc (TOTALLY need to make progress on this!)

Create a Christmas planner notebook to organize holiday planning. This week's printable forms from Organized Christmas include:

[X] Master Gift List (As always, have a Word file where I store data on who is getting what, what I've purchased, prices, etc.)
[In Progress] Christmas Card List (As mentioned above, some double checking is needed, but should be pretty much ready to go!)
[N/A]Gift Ideas Planner - (Have always incorporated gift ideas into Master Gift List Word file, including sizes, etc.)

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Just a bit of advice or input. When I started doing these plans I would through away my list each year. Last year I decided I would keep my list as my master list, so my reference is much quicker and if I need to add anything I can or if I didn't get to something the last go around I can focus on that. I've said this before, but I literally sit in the room and move visually from one side to the other and then from top to bottom. Everything little detail is on my list and if it needs to be addressed it's on that list. THings change each year, so I"ll add what I need this year, but I think it's going to help alot! Plus each year, maybe 1 of the 2 projects I have for my husband in that zone area might get done...LOL

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008
Yay! I'm so excited to get started!

Front Porch:
( ) Change lightbulbs/clean outdoor light fixtures
( ) Power wash stain off front porch
( ) Clean chairs
( ) Trim bushes -- IN PROGRESS
( ) Weed -- IN PROGRESS
( ) Mulch -- only where absolutely needed
( ) Change flag
( ) Clean grills (DH can do this)
(X) Find place to put leftover rocks (use as border or walkway)

Holiday Prep:
(X) Gifts to be given (budget)
(X) Christmas card list
(X) Visits to make
(X) Parties/Entertaining
( ) Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties -- IN PROGRESS
( ) Goodies for sharing/Gifts
( ) Favorite meals for freezing ahead -- Compiling list of easy meals and items to keep on hand.
( ) Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc -- IN PROGRESS
(X) Create a Christmas planner notebook

Last edited:

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I don't have an actual porch, but I do have a cemented area with steps that does need some care. I need to buy a new welcome mat and clean the cement. It's been too hot to plant anything in the planters, so maybe in a week or so I can put in some mums. We have to trim bushes and unfortunately remove a bush from the front planter. It took a hard beating last winter and this exceptionally hot summer finished it off... My inside entry needs a good cleaning including the tile. That should be enough to keep me busy!!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I'm very excited to be a part of the HGP this year. While this is not my first year to do the HGP it is my first year to be posting so this is going to make it lots more fun. Here's my list:

1. Sweep off front porch & sidewalk.
2. Wash glass door and inside door (inside and outside).
3. Wash globes on porch lights.
4. Put out new "Welcome" sign and change flag.
5. Wash off patio.
6. Wash globes on patio lights.

Lists to make:
1. Menu for Holiday dinners and party.
2. List of cookies, candies and quick bread I will be making.
3. Shopping lists for #1 and 2.
4. Update Christmas Card list.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
have a new deck... with rails..... lol lol so I am going to sweep and wash the sliding doors, they need it... and with this being my 1st day off in 4 days. I am doing other things as well.... but will cut grass and a bit of outside work this day..

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My plan is to work on food related lists today (Wednesday) and gift related lists tomorrow (Thursday). I am still under the weather so cleaning the porch will have to wait for another week. Still too hot to work outside here anyway. So ready for fall to be here.