HGP Week 3 - Entry/Foyer Week!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Entry/Foyer Week of the Holiday Grand Plan will kick off on Sunday, September 14, 2008!!!

JUST A NOTE: This starter thread is being posted a bit early. If you are getting a jump-start on the HGP week, feel free to post. If not, once Sunday arrives, have at it!

Here is a direct link to the HGP website page for Entry/Foyer Week:

http://organizedchristmas.com/holiday-grand-plan/entry-foyer-week

:globe:

Holiday Prep Tasks assigned this week:

· Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.

· Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.

· Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).

· Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area or storage place to put these in so that they are not used in everyday cooking - make sure to label them so that when food drives start your holiday supply stays intact and the food drive gets the food purchased for it.

· Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.

· Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note.

Definitely be sure to access the link above to peruse all of the tasks, links and forms that go along with this week on the HGP!

If you have chosen to modify/rearrange the order of the weeks on the plan (which room to clean for example) in order to better fit your needs, please don’t hold back from posting on this main thread if you would like to. Everyone is welcome!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I’m feeling pretty good about the HGP so far this year! Of course, it is only the 3rd week but I am working hard to keep my personal "mo-jo" going!

My Holiday Prep tasks this week:

[]Make one batch of Holiday Goodies – I don’t start making up cookies or similar items to freeze until closer to Christmas, but I am going to do a test run of a Christmas cookie recipe this week. So that will count for this prep task, I guess

[]Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL – Instead of making an entire meal, I am prepping a meal component (like browned ground beef, or shredded roasted chicken) OR purchasing something that can stay frozen until the holidays (like frozen puff pastry, bread roll dough, etc.)

[]Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive)

[]Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area – I don’t think I’ll do a box for my stuff, but I’ll find something for my donations

[ :rudolph: ]Buy all supplies for homemade gifts – I’ve been working on homemade gifts all year, so I’m way ahead on this one. My problem is making sure I get it all actually DONE in time!

[]Buy camera batteries, etc. – Our cameras are digital and they take AA’s which we always have around, so no need to really hide them, but I will add the purchase of batteries to my non-perish shopping list. And a note to use double coupons!!!

Cleaning Focus:

This week on the plan will see my substituting areas to focus the cleaning on. Our house is an old 1940’s farmhouse that we have done major remodeling and adding onto. However, the fact remains that the side door entrance is the main one we use and it comes directly into the kitchen. Even if we used the front door, it opens directly into the dining room – so there is no foyer to be found! :haha:

Instead, this week I focus on the downstairs hallway, which has an alcove off to one side for our laundry area. A countertop for folding is situated over a cupboard for various laundry, misc. type items and it is in desperate need of going through! We also have an extra fridge in another alcove in the hallway, so this will need to be tackled this week too. It’s mostly a pop/beer fridge, but it needs a good wipe down.

:skate:

My cleaning tasks for this week are as follows:

[]Assemble supplies: Duster, Windex, Paper Towels, Broom, Duster-Mop, Bucket, Rags, Pine-Sol, Vacuum, Magic Erasers, Step-stool
[]Sweep down ceilings, corners and tops of doorways to get rid of any cobwebs
[]Dust/Wipe down wire rack above washer/dryer
[]Dust shelf over stairs (Clean decorative arrangement & store for spring – replace w/ seasonal)
[]Dust all air vents/slats on wooden door to basement area/top of downstairs fridge/etc.
[]Dust hall table (including legs)
[]Dust stairway window blinds, ledge
[]Dust or wash all walls, including in stairway area
[]Wipe down washer, dryer and trash can
[]Wipe down countertop
[]Windex framed picture at top of stairs
[]Windex mirror and photo frames in hallway
[]Touch up nicks in paint at top of stairs (if I can find leftover paint!)
[]Clean out fridge/freezer (throw out anything expired, wipe down all shelves, etc.)
[]Reorganize laundry room cupboard
[]Coat closet: empty, sort clothes (by family member, season). Remove any "off-season" items and decide whether to trash, donate, or store elsewhere. Replace only those items which should be in your coat closet.
[]Replace potpourri in glass sconces
[]Vacuum floor (take up rugs) and steps (also behind washer and dryer)
[]Mop floor, including linoleum
[]Wash steps

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I don't have a foyer or an entry... just my dining room. I am going to clean 1/2 of the room now and the other half before Thanksgiving.

Cleaning-
Dining room light/ceiling fan blades
Closet (go through gloves, hats and scarves and coats)- donate to charity all that doesn't fit
Dust piano

Holiday Gifts-
My son's knitted blanket

No point making holiday cookies now-- my guys would find them in the freezer and eat them (that is what happened last year). :slap:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I've been doing good so far too and hope to keep it going.

. Make one batch of Holiday Goodies. Won't be doing this as I really am not in the baking mood right now. I may make some extra batches when I do my cookies for the Halloween Party.

· Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL. Won't be doing this either. It's just me and my boyfriend (sometimes) so I've made a list to buy a few things to keep in the freezer for nights I won't be cooking.

· Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).

· Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area or storage place to put these in so that they are not used in everyday cooking - make sure to label them so that when food drives start your holiday supply stays intact and the food drive gets the food purchased for it.

· Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area. I have most of my supplies purchased already.

· Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note. Just bought AA, AAA and D batteries. My digital camera has rechargeable batteries -- bought the AA batteries for back-up.

Cleaning Tasks - Foyer

[ ] sweep/mop floor

[ ] vacuum carpet in this area

[ ] wash rug at door

[ ] wipe down table and cd cabinet

[ ] clean mirror

[ ] dust picture frames on wall

[ ] put away pictures on table; make space for fall decor

[ ] organize cd cabinet

[ ] remove items that don't belong in this area.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
OOps, left my list at home. But I know I had intended trying to get outdoors done this weekend, and make a start on master bedroom as well (the major furniture moving and hoovering behind it jobs in particular). As well as a freezer cooking session on Sunday afternoon.

And lots and lots of knitting........

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Family Room: left over from last week (week 2)
[][][][][]Begin by washing the outside of the windows in this room.
[][][][][]Wash windows inside.
[ :grin: ]Take everything off walls, dust it, and set it aside.
[ :grin: ]Dust or wash the wall
[ :grin: ]Vacuum or dry-clean draperies and blinds.
[ :grin: ]Get your favorite cobweb killer and sweep down ceilings, corners and tops of doorways.
[]Take cushions off furniture. Vacuum thoroughly, replace cushions, spot treat any stains and shampoo if necessary.
[ :grin: ]Wooden furniture (and anything with drawers/shelves): Empty, sort and throw away what you really don't need. Put the rest where it belongs.
[ :grin: ][ :grin: [] :grin: ]Dust/
[][][] polish
[ :grin: ]dust, polish wooden rocking chair
[ :grin: ]Baseboards: dust them.
[ :grin: ]Lamps (does the shade need dusting or replacing?)
[ :grin: ]Hang the items back on walls.

Front Porch Cleaning Tasks: FROM WEEK 1.....
[ ] Wash outside of windows
[ ] Paint window
[ ] Stain Sidelights
[1/2 done] Plant Mums
[ :thud: ] Hang up fall door wreath. I CANT FIND IT :thud:

LIVING ROOM..... WEEK 3
[ :grin: ][ :grin: ]Begin by washing the outside of the windows in this room.
[ :grin: ][ :grin: ]Wash windows inside.
[ :grin: ]Take everything off walls, dust it, and set it aside.
:grin: [ :grin: ]Dust or wash the wall
[]Vacuum or dry-clean draperies and blinds.
[ :grin: ]Get your favorite cobweb killer and sweep down ceilings, corners and tops of doorways.
[]Take cushions off furniture. Vacuum thoroughly, replace cushions, spot treat any stains and shampoo if necessary.
[][]Dust/polish grandfather clock and curio cabinet.
[ :grin: ]Baseboards: dust them.
[] Clean ceillinng fan.
[ :grin: ]Clean fireplace inside and out.
[ :grin: ] Polish granite hearth.
[ :grin: ] [ :grin: ]Wash and dust statues
[ :grin: ]Stacks (of anything!): Take time now to use the sorting method of trash/donate/store elsewhere. Now put these new piles where they belong.
[ :grin: ]Vacuum the carpet and clean if necessary.
[ :grin: ]Hang the items back on walls.

ENTRY/FOYER....WEEK 4
[ :grin: ]sweep/mop floor
[ :grin: ][ :grin: ][ :grin: ] wash windows in front door and sidelights inside
[ :grin: ][ :grin: ][ :grin: ] wash windows in front door and sidelights outside
[][] stain sidelights inside
[ :grin: ]remove mirror and wash frame
[ :grin: ] replace mirror
[ :grin: ] wash mirror
[ :grin: ] ck for cobwebs
[ :grin:] dust baseboards
[] wash glass in french doors

FireWolf

Retire Member
Aug 31, 2008
Entry and Stairs for me this week and work more on craft room from last week.

Stairs
[] remove carpet covers
[] remove old glue
[] scrub stairs

Entry
[] remove cobwebs from ceiling
[] clean window above door
[] clean front door (possibly paint)
[] clean hall light
[] wipe down radiator
[] declutter coat racks
[] sweep and mop floor
[] wash and replace curtain and door mat

Craft Room
[] continue decluttering
[] clean ceiling fan
[] remove cobwebs from ceiling
[] clean inside front window
[] create ribbon ring storage
[] change harddrives in computer

Holiday Prep

be back later with this

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I don't have a foyer, but since I didn't do anything of last week's cleaning, I can focus on that this week.

· Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
I don't have a seperate freezer, so I don't have the space for this.

· Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
(See above) I will, however, purchase extra ingredients to use toward meals during the season.

(This is easy enough to do....)

I will set the box in the laundryroom to fill with food-shelf items. We are also doing 50/50 raffles on Fridays at my work to donate to the food-shelf.

· Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.
I don't think I'll have any homemade gifts this year.

· Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note.
Digital camera...and I have an extra battery. I could use another memory stick...though!!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My foyer is empty too! I really cannot wait till this renovaiton is over - I feel frustrated and worried all the time :frown:

This week I am hoping that the rain stops and things dry out, we finally have our permits and DH is able to strart work on the porches! I need to pack more items so there is room for drywall to be hung.

Holiday Prep Tasks assigned this week:

· Done ::eek:rnament: Make one batch of Holiday Goodies. Made shortbread this morning - did not work out as hoped.

· Done ::eek:rnament: Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.

·Ongoing Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).

· Done ::eek:rnament: Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area or storage place to put these in so that they are not used in everyday cooking - make sure to label them so that when food drives start your holiday supply stays intact and the food drive gets the food purchased for it. I have labeled rubbermaid bins in our cellar

· Done ::eek:rnament: Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note.
My camera is a digital, and does not have a removable battery - it charges similiar to an iPod using an USB

goldenqueenalicia

Retire Member
Jul 16, 2008
Things have gone better for me last week

I did finish my front porch and living room
need to still finish my two craft areas although some progress was made

this week is the foyer area it woun't take too long (old victorian home has a small foyer area seperated by two doors)
so I will also clean out my coat closet area and keep the two sets of stairs going up cleared

also need to finish making travel arrangements (dd18 and ds20 will not be making it home for thanksgiving :frown: )
need to get airfare for my october trip and for the family trip in december
and finish party planning for the rest of the year

I will bake and freeze cookies this week

the make ahead meals don't work for my family so I have bought gift certificates for 2 meals so far (one chinese and one pizza)

the set up for food drive will work

still need to buy extra baking supplies

have all the homemade gift supplies together

and have a good start on christmas shopping

need to computerize card lists

hopefully all my hard work will pay off this year

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Last week wasn’t too bad in all – not great on cleaning but not bad on holiday prep. Over the weekend, we managed to do the sweeping of the front porch area, and the side passage. We also pulled out a bush that has been in the way for a while, and I brought that to the dump for green waste yesterday (it was too woody to compost at home).

This week, I am not really concentrating on one room, as the entry/foyer is in good order already and I did a good clean of it about a month ago. But I have a visitor coming at the weekend, so I need to find space for her in the guest bedroom (she won’t mind some clutter once there’s a bed, but I’d like to get it really well done if I can). And I start my French classes at night this week as well – so that’s one evening gone before I start.

Holiday Prep:
Leftover to catch up:
[] Ring FIL to purchase fake tree for holiday rental
[] Order Christmas cards Researched but can’t order for another few weeks
[] Check Santa train dates Have ordered tickets but can’t check dates yet

[ ::eek:rnament: ] Make 1 batch holiday cookies dough Made a batch of chocolate chip on Sunday – baked half and saved half for freezer
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Make 1 holiday meal for freezer Made 3 dinners and 2 toddler dinners of spaghetti bolognaise (as well as 1 lot for tonight), and 2 dinners of a plain tomato sauce for adding to meat and veggies, and OH made 2 dinners of chilli, but they will get used up in the next few weeks – started to get the hang of the whole “freezer cooking” idea though
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Buy extra flour, sugar, butter etc Bought 1 bag flour and both brown and castor sugar. No specials on fruit or flour yet though so will only buy as needed until specials are out
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Buy extra provisions 10% off in grocery store at weekend, so started stocking up
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Organise box for food drive food Sorted – hidden under stairs. No need to do same for home supplies - no one yet really raids the pantry!! :haha:
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Get all supplies for handmade gifts Have all of these (some from years past that never got made up) – just need to concentrate on making up now
[] Buy batteries etc Have intentions of buying a set of rechargeable batteries and a charger – might manage to get it this week.
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Work on crafts at least 1 hour per day Managing about 45 minutes about 3/4 times a week at lunchbreak at work, and up to another hour at night about 4-5 times per week – but will need all that.

Cleaning:
[] Give the hall, stairs and landing a quick swish (really kept fairly clean and no clutter spots at all
[] Clear off 1 bed in guest bedroom Have a visitor coming this weekend so need somewhere for her to sleep
[] Put winter clothes in guest room into closet/boxes
[] Put toddler’s clothes that are too small into attic
[] Make a decision on what to do with toddler’s outgrown clothes
[] Wash outside windows if weather allows
[] Clean letterbox if weather allows
[] Clear out remainder of guest bedroom if time allows

Well I have definitely falln behind a little. I wound up going to work on my day off for a meeting which put a damper on that day. I was off from my main job over the weekend but since it was the first time off in over a month I spent it getting errands done like buying shirts for school pictures and getting a Holiday shirt for me to wear also (on clearance..love it)!!

I wind up doing my entry/foyer every week since for some reason my boys have a hard time putting their shoes on the rack. It always amazes me...lol

I am about to leave for work and I work both jobs today so I won't be home til after 9 tonight and then have work in the morning so I will post a thorough list either tonight (if I'm not too tired) or tomorrow night.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I don't have a foyer. The front door opens directly into the living room, which was cleaned last week. My back door opens into the laundry room, which I cleared out and reorganized over the summer, so I'm good this week.

I had planned to use this week to work on the back yard and porch, but DH and I did that a couple of weekends ago, so now I just need new
cushions and plants out there. It's too early to buy mums (I want them blooming for the Boo!Bash2 on October 25, so I'll buy them closer to then) and the cushions are not in the budget this week, so I guess I'm going to focus a little on holiday prep.

I put a roll of sugar cookie dough in the freezer, and I'll pick up another one this week to stash. This is as close to homemade cookies as I get. LOL!! I am thinking I need to clean out both freezers, but the trash truck has already ran this morning, so that needs to wait until the weekend... it wouldn't be pretty to have THAT sitting around for several days. Also, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to put those rolls of cookie dough in a plain brown wrapper...out of sight, out of mind!

The weather is glorious this morning-low 50's for the low, high predicted to be 77 today and tomorrow...with 80 by the weekend, and lots of sunshine. Nice after two terrible hurricanes affected us.

I'll work on some holiday prep lists and get back with you...

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Well it was just too flipping hot this weekend so I didn't get much done.

Cleaning Tasks - Foyer

[/ ] sweep/mop floor Just swept floor. Still needs mopping.

[ ] vacuum carpet in this area

[ ] wash rug at door

[ :grin: ] wipe down table and cd cabinet

[ ] clean mirror Forgot about the mirror...

[ :grin: ] dust picture frames on wall

[ :grin: ] put away pictures on table; make space for fall decor

[ :grin: ] organize cd cabinet I need to purchase another storage unit. Didn't realize how much new music I collected this year. My cabinet can't hold any more.

[ :grin: ] remove items that don't belong in this area. Threw out old telephone books, a storage cube that I no longer wanted and which did not go with any of my furniture, and a basket with some summer flowers I no longer wanted. I also had a patio chair that had been sitting in the foyer for two weeks. It's on its way to my parents house. They have the exact same chairs but one of them was broken so I'm giving them mine. I only bought one -- no idea why I just bought one!?

After I cleaned off the table I put out my frosted glass plate which will hold pumpkin/gourd candles and silk leaves. I also put out a vase for my dried wheat grass but I can't seem to find the wheat. I must have thrown them out by mistake when I was doing inventory. Oh well, a reason to visit Dollar Tree today. :haha: Next to the table I put a pumpkin arrangement on a pedestal plant stand. I'll vacuum the carpet in this area and down the hall Wednesday. I have to work my second job tonight and tomorrow.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Reporting back on my progress thus far!

I had planned to start my cleaning tasks yesterday, but the remains of Hurricane Ike brought record rainfall to our area and we had flooding in our unfinished basement and leaks in the ceiling of our Living Room - not fun!

So instead of cleaning the downstairs hallway/laundry area yesterday, we were cleaning throw rugs and vacuuming up water. Ick.

:frown:

The rest of the time DH and I just lay on the couch and watched movies - no energy for anything else, we were just kind of drained. (no pun intended!)

I did test a cookie recipe this weekend and it was a decided failure - will not be making those again!

I plan to go home tonight and get some cleaning tasks done - and tomorrow is trash day, so it is a perfect night to clean out the deep freeze - so I've got "big plans" for the night!

Now if I can just find the energy! Our weather is still rainy and dark out and all I want to do is SLEEP!!!

Maybe I'll use my treat receipt from Starbucks on my way home from work and get a little "pick me up"!

:pink:

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
I guess I'm going to jump in over here. The HHP is dead.

So going back to week one. To Do:
[ :-D ]Take everything off porch and scrub it well.
[ :-D ]Hose down siding and front door
[ :-D ]Scrub down door and molding around it
[/]Spackle holes in molding around door (we took down an ugly storm door) {First coat done}
[]Paint molding around door
[ :-D ]Scrub down chairs put them back in place
[ :-D ]Clean doormat
[ :-D ]Clean light
[]Take down gutters (will be replaced later)
[]Clean where gutters were
[]Do some spot sanding and painting on railing (it was freshly painted last summer)

Would like to do, but might not get to:
[]Decorate for fall
[]Stain concrete
[]Paint front door
[]Buy and install new door buzzer (ours is ugly)

Light was upgraded earlier this year. We took down the old house numbers and put up a beautiful house number plaque. I would love a new front door but that is just not in the budget. I'm going to try to paint it but the fridge went out a couple of days ago and every little counts to get a new one.

If I do get to paint the door I have no idea what color to paint it. My house is tan (vinyl siding) with white molding. Skinny moldings nothing fancy, but it is still a cute house. I have a standard porch post and railings, painted white. Do I go with white, which is what color is used to be, lol! Or go with red or blue, something to really stand out?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hello Christmas Lovers!

Today, Monday,I caught up. I cleaned the Living Room today. Now I am happy. It is clean and peaceful and welcoming.

This week is the Entry/Foyer. I will work on that this afternoon AND tomorrow morning.

It does not work for my family to do freezer meals, or batches of cookies in advance. Crafts and home-made gifts are not done here. But some organizing of the gift closet, and working on the notebook would be good for this week.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Light was upgraded earlier this year. We took down the old house numbers and put up a beautiful house number plaque. I would love a new front door but that is just not in the budget. I'm going to try to paint it but the fridge went out a couple of days ago and every little counts to get a new one.

If I do get to paint the door I have no idea what color to paint it. My house is tan (vinyl siding) with white molding. Skinny moldings nothing fancy, but it is still a cute house. I have a standard porch post and railings, painted white. Do I go with white, which is what color is used to be, lol! Or go with red or blue, something to really stand out?

I think a deep green would look nice. I'm picturing the colors you decribed. Or maybe a nice wood door - Oak or Mahogany perhaps.

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
aggy said:

I think a deep green would look nice. I'm picturing the colors you decribed. Or maybe a nice wood door - Oak or Mahogany perhaps.
It's metal so no wood underneath. I hadn't thought about green. I did think about maybe a deep brown, which is what I want to stain the concrete.