HHP WEEK 3 - Me & Mine

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Here is my plan for the week:

Household Checklist:
Master Bedroom:
dust and vacuum EVERYTHING - done

mop floors - done
clean window - done
clean blinds - done
touch up paint - done
wash & change bedding - done
declutter closet - done
seasonal clothing change out - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
inventory wrapping supplies - done
make Christmas card list - done

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hi everyone,

This week's assignment could not come at a better time. We had a critter problem in the attic during the past week. The bedroom is a mess from moving the clothes out of the closet to get to the attic. This is the last week of back to school meetings.

I'm thinking of making a Holiday Prep to Buy Checklist based on the assignments for the first three or four weeks. If I used it for the after Christmas Sales and then kept the list of things bought with the Christmas Planner Sheets, it might save me some time next year. For instance, I thought I bought the cards for this year after Christmas but I can't remember. This means I have to pull out the Christmas boxes to find out.

Household Checklist

• Declutter night stand tops and bureau tops. Dust and vacuum. Organize the books. Clean the windows.
  • Change out the summer clothes for the fall/winter cloths.
Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Check for extra holiday cards. Done
  • Review Christmas card list.
  • Order Christmas cards. Done
  • Check to see when Christmas stamps are available. Done
Still to Do
  • File papers. I think the pile multiplies over night!

Last edited:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I post from the depths of my wardrobe.... I may re-appear at some stage this week.... I think Im seeing progress....

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
BAWHAHAH! You are too funny, Tanya. I do hope you make it to the top...

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I decided to get some work done this evening.

There isn't a closet in the master bedroom, we use a wardrobe, so that didn't take too long to tidy up.

I also did the seasonal clothing change out - flip flops, summer hats etc are put away and I have pulled out my rubber boots for Fall. The front closet is big enough for sweatshirts, coats and winter accessories to stay out all year, so that is a time saver.

Tuesday, I plan to deep clean the bedroom - should be fun.;)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
This is going to be a tough week. Many other things going on. Just not seeing how I'm going to get it done with all the other activities going on. Maybe more coffee. Work crew starts today to work on our siding while we still have a smidge of good weather left. So excited to have this starting!

Household Checklist

• Master Closet -- Declutter and put away giant pile of Camping & Travel Gear
  • Master Bedroom -- Declutter giant pile of Christmas decor moved out of guest room. Ugh.
  • Master Bedroom Decor --- Rethink this. Ready for a change to wall decor. Did bedding last year.
  • DUST!! Master rafters really need a wipe down! Got new tools to do that.
Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Haul out Christmas Box -- Inventory my stash, including holiday cards.
  • Attempt a Christmas Letter - haven't got it done in a few years now. Everyone thinks I'm dead.
  • Check that I have enough Mailing Labels and stamps.
  • Check to see when Christmas stamps are available.
Still to Do
  • Computer restore. Another Ugh.
  • Fireplace repaired.
  • Office papers -- getting there though.

HappytobeMe -- I was working last night too. Just trying to slog though to keep up for Week 2. Got lots done on paper.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Perfect timing for me as well with Master bedroom. We went on vacation at the end of August and had a house sitter who slept in our room, so the majority of the decluttering and deep cleaning is completed, however I have the dreaded closet. Shamefully, I just shut the doors to the closet and hoped she wouldn't peek in! But the time has come to tackle it. Here is my list for this week:

Vacuum and dust everything (really clean, and not the illusion of clean)
Organize dresser drawers and donate items that I no longer wear
Look into "blackout" curtains for the 4 windows, and if I find a good deal purchase and hang
I purchased new flannel sheets at the end of the season last year, I want to wash them and purchase a new comforter
da da daaaahhhh....the closet. Organize, sort, and confirm that I do actually have a floor in the closet.
get a new fall scent for the plug in oil warmer
print labels for the Christmas cards.

Pretty ambitious list with everything else going on this week. Hope springs eternal however, and so far I have been keeping up, so here I go.....

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
  • Take down curtains and wash.
  • Clean windows and window sills. Put up electric candles. I always set them to come on in the evenings starting in the fall. Nice warm welcoming home after a day of chaos.
  • Paint. My walls are screaming for a touch-up.
  • Pack up my flip-flops which are scattered all over the closet floor. I bought some baskets from Dollar Tree a few months ago and decorated them with pretty fabric. For got I had them.
  • Vacuum
  • Wipe down furniture
  • Do some laundry.
  • Put away handbags. I have them piled up on a chair. Instead of putting them back in the closet when I switch bags, I put them on the chair. Crazy I know.
  • Same with my jewelry. All over my dresser lol.
  • Buy Christmas cards. I'm hoping to find some really beautiful cards this year.
  • Inventory wrapping supplies. I remember picking up wrapping paper last year. Just need to find where I put them. I know I need bags for the gift baskets I'm putting together this year.
  • Add a few more gifts to the gift closet.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I m hoping to be able to tackle our bedroom during the weekend. To be honest it is a mess right now as the floor is covered with toys and clothes the kids out grew. I am in the process of going through them and tagging them for a resale event this weekend. We repainted the bedroom last month but have yet to the any way décor up yet.

I did wash our huge fall comforter last week so that is all ready to go when the temps get a bit chillier.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Tackled basement LR this weekend. washed ceiling, walls, woodwork, furniture, floor. Today was ds's bedroom .. deep-cleaned (ceiling, walls, woodwork, furniture, floor, window, blinds). His closet was done in April.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Great work, Mel and Lucie.

I revamped my "to buy" list that I made last week. It now has the items needed, how much of something and where/when/cost of the items. Here's hoping keeping track of the items needed and bought after Christmas will help during the busy back to school weeks.

I found the Christmas cards and I won't have enough for this year. It's too early to find Christmas cards around here so I ordered some more. I also ordered some Christmas stamps. Last year I ended up standing in a very long line in December for the Christmas stamps. I was kicking myself for not spending the $1.25 S & H fee to order online.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I spent the ENTIRE day deep cleaning the Master Bedroom. I am horrified by how dirty it was. :eek:

I clean it once a week, but not a deep clean, so I have made a note than once a month I deep clean it.

I am so happy that this is done, it looks so nice in there.
:D

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im through the major part of my room- the closet/ wardrobe/ dressing room- or what it had become known as recently, "The dumping ground". I still have a dresser to go through and some shelves. Im getting there! I have got rid of lots and lots of items that I have not worn, don't like. etc.... The rest is mostly well organised now... but I have some fine tuning to do. Its also my gift closet, reading nook, craft storage area etc....so it works as many different spaces...

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Got some time in on the Master Bedroom but not a big visual difference -- and I hate it when that happens. Got through half the travel gear though. Lots tossed and "put away". But see what I said there? I put it away. That's doing it wrong according to Marie Kondo. (Took me a few months to figure that out when I went off track for a while. Had to go back and re-read the book. She would say to haul it out and toss every item I don't love and THEN put it away - not a second before.

Sigh.

But here's the thing -- because the master has the access to the attic and the attic is used as the family garage, I would have to UNLOAD my entire master bedroom -- and it is already buried from clearing out the guest room for our new teen last month. And on top of that I have guys on ladders all over my house this week so I will have men looking in my window (no curtains). AND my pile of Sentimental Items from other areas of the house which I'm supposed to save til last to declutter is in a pile in the corner of the master.....

You know a year ago this room was clean.

Breathing. Just needed to whine a little. I'll get to work. I know when I get through today there will be a difference and I'll feel tons better. Just need to focus. AND. MAKE. IT. HAPPEN. (And today -- I'm focused!)

Hoo-Yah!!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
That's what this board is for, to vent, laugh, cry and even be a little silly. Cindylouwho I understand how it can get frustrating, but you're keeping at it and that's what matters. And in the end you will achieve the results you want. And we'll be here rooting you on!!! Big hugs to you! :)

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I agree 100% with aggy. It is just fine to vent when needed. We are here to offer support, encouragement and some laughs. It sounds like you have a lot going on, but you seem motivated to do what needs to be done.

Just remember - whatever you do is better than doing nothing.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks you guys! *team hug* :)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Today was the first day that I had time to start on the household list. I like to do this earlier in the week. I started at a new job this week and I begin a year long training course on Saturday. I haven't quite figured out a rhythm to my week with all the new schedules. It's a little frustrating because I work best with check list and a schedule. Right now, I've got the check list but not quite the schedule in place. All in due time, right?

I gave the windows and window sills a real good cleaning. I decluttered the bureau and night tables. The temperatures have been warm enough ( 87degrees yesterday) that I won't put all the summer clothes away yet. I did make a pile for the summer tote and left a few summer clothes out to wear during the next week. I'll reevaluate next week based on the temperatures.

On a bright note, I got notices that the Christmas cards and stamps are on their way! :)

Still to do: dust/vacuum; organize books

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
The Master Bedroom is looking much better here! A little bit more time on it on Wed and Thurs really helped (after that big session with unimpressive impact earlier in the week). Now it is looking much more tidy and I'm breathing easier. Today I'll get after the deep cleaning and rafter dusting.

Also hit the awesome home decor sales which are going on now in the big box stores - will probably go back. Lots 50% off. Mid-Late Sept is always such a good shopping time! Still considering a complete decor change in my room. Contemplating changing my theme to a combination of Old and Time. There's a piece of framed art in a little shop in town that has an old top hat in it which gave me the idea. I also have an old clock that no longer works but I find charming. Been looking for a purpose for it. I have many "vintage style" things in the rest of my house decor but I realized this week that this doesn't really apply to my bedroom. Maybe that's whats wrong with it -- its in the wrong era. Too contemporary. So I'll be pondering that. Need to put some age in here -- somehow things that are old help me feel more grounded.