Homemade Boy gift ideas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
I have started working on my gift list for 2008. This past year I did big craft kits for all my nieces and nephews including holiday crafts for this year. For my oldest nephew I did a model car kit and a mousetrap vehicle kit. They love to get craft stuff from Aunt Cinda. I am thinking something different this year for Christmas and special craft kits for birthdays. For the little girls I am making Barbie doll clothes and Baby Doll clothes depending on age. For the 12 year old girl I am thinking beaded jewelry, purse and accessories maybe an altered journal etc. For my 6 year old nephew I am going to make a car playmat with some cars but would like ideas of something else. Here is where I am stuck my dsil has two stepsons that I still don't know a whole lot about at Christmas they will be 10 and 13. I am not sure what to make them. I know they like video games and I am not sure what else. I would love to hear your ideas. TIA
CIndasnow

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
How about Marshmallow shooters? You would have to make sure the parents aren't against any type of gun (or something that shoots projectiles!). They look like a lot of fun. If you do a Google search you will find lots of DIY instructions. They are made of PVC pipe and they say they are easy & cheap. I might have DH make some for our three kids.

Bren

P.S. I love your other ideas! They are so creative :flower: . I can only imagine how happy the kids are to see you coming at Christmas :package: .

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I've heard that boys sometimes are too thrilled with blankets but sometimes like pillows. You could probably find some fun fabics to make throw pillows for boys. Love your ideas!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I gave my nephew a notebook with origami designs (copied them on the internet) and he's 14 and loved it!

Or cake in a cup... they make it themselves.

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for the ideas. The marshmallow guns are great ideas. My dad makes and sells them at craft fairs so I have already used those in the past.

The pillows might be something to think about. I found out a few days before Christmas that they are Tennessee VOls fans so maybe something with that.

Writting down all your ideas in my notebook thanks :jumpinghearts:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
My friend's 13 year-old boy loves a soft fleece blanket he got for Christmas so I guess that really depends on the kid! What about the journal jars for kids at OC? Or a time capsule kit? May be a wooden box -altered for his special things that he can keep under his bed or it can have a small lock or something? I'm trying to think of things for my 3 year-old nephew.
Those marshmallow guns might be fun for the adults on camping trips!TFS!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Great ideas! The kids in your family must love Aunt Cinda! My DS's really liked their marshmallow shooters.

I wonder if there are any patterns on the internet for a video controller holder. Maybe like those armchair pockets that are made to hold the TV guide and the remote? You'd have to know what types of game units they play. Or maybe you could decorate storage boxes to hold their game collections. You could decoupage photocopies of game covers over sturdy boxes. If the games are on CD's, you could decorate a three-ring notebook-type CD wallet. Does this make sense? I don't know how to explain it.

Oh! Or a notebook with page protectors/pockets to store all the manuals for their video games in, and 'cheat codes' that they print off the internet.

If they collect trading cards of any kind (baseball, Pokemon-type, etc.), you could design a notebook cover for them and fill it with some card-pocket page protectors.

For the nephew with the toy cars, maybe you can decorate a tool-box or a fishing tackle box, with little sections, to sort, hold and carry his little cars.

I think my boys (12 and 14) would really like quillow-type blankets for car trips, if the fabric was neat -- their favorite colors or sports themed.

My guys also like to save little mementos of trips like ticket stubs, postcards. But they would definitely NOT be into journaling or scrapbooking them. However, they might like some sort of book with pockets to put their stuff in. I could see them stuffing things in pockets, but not gluing things down neatly. . .!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I've made pillow cases in the sports team theme ... might go nice with the fleece blanket idea. Also, I am doing next year for older boys a bowl (if I can find the local college team, even better) with micro popcorn, candy, and gift card to Blockbusters in it. Maybe a cup, even. ::eek:rnament:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
My two boys 9 & 11 love the fleece blankets. Another thing I did for ds11 this year is put together a basket of anything I could find that he didn't already have with Dale Earnhart #8, also took a couple of his old teeshirts and made pillows for his bed out of them. This was a way he could keep them for a few more years.

I am already collecting Syracuse University things to do his "Real Men wear Orange" basket for this year. As soon as he decides on a favorite player for this year he will also have an autographed framed basketball jearsy(It's great to have a cousin that does security for the games). The two of us are big SU basketball fans. I am going to make a papermache basketball basket to put everything into. Also going to try and do something with tickets of games and pictures of games that he has attended and will attend this year. Of course another fleece blanket will be added to this and a new orange wig and foam finger(after 4 years his are getting worn out).

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
DUCT TAPE!!! No matter what age boys/men are Duct Tape is a GREAT crafty gift. You could include a duct tape wallet with instructions, duct tape tie, or a duct tape book. (Yes they have them out there). There is every color imaginable available to buy. In my family duct tape gets used as a guy craft item and fix everything tool so it's amazing!!! (You could even duct tape the gift box as an added touch)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oh, Duct Tape is too funny! But yes, it's my husband's "crafty" way to "make" things!! But a wallet? I'll have to like Google that. Never heard of it before. :) Is there directions ... like just cover a wallet with some? :confused:

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Joke books - bought or homemade are good. Magic kits - simple magic tricks with cards, etc. would probably be appreciated as well. Kids love to entertain!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I did find the funniest things!

Ductigami: The Art of the Tape by Joe Wilson
The Jumbo Duct Tape Book by Jim Berg and Tim Nyberg

And yes, duct tape wallets for sale! Guess I've been under a rock ... never seen one before! I'm writing it down on my Christmas list!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Not sure if you want to go this way, but we got DS11 the book Backyard Ballistics for Christmas along with the materials to make a few of the things in it. He LOVED it...making the gizmos and shooting them off.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Yes, Duct Tape is a GREAT gift for a boy! My guys made duct tape wallets for several of their friends. They were a very big hit! They got the directions off the internet. A word of caution, though: when we purchased our duct tape, the cashier wouldn't let the boys purchase it. Seems some silly teens SMOKE it, of all things! They get high off the adhesive. . . bizarre.

Another kind of fun craft is money origami. They make books on how to fold dollar bills in creative ways.

The Backyard Ballistics book is great! There's also a book (Target had it this weekend) called something like The Daring Book for Boys or the Dangerous Book for Boys. You might be able to build a good gift around that one!