How do you decorate your tree?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
Is it themed? Whate theme?

All balls?

A particular color or colors?

Sentimental ornaments?

A mix?

Our first tree was all blue and silver. I don't remember what followed the next few years. We have had an all Disney tree, that is now in the basement. And the last two years my main tree has been red, gold, brown with balls and twigs, etc. I really like it.

But at the same time I love other ornaments and seem to have a thing for snowmen.

How do I fit it all in? There are just way too many cute Christmas decorations!!!!!

Is there somewhere on here to see pictures of peoples Christmas trees? That would be GREAT!!!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Our tree is always a mixture of things. We have special ornaments that we get from my mom every year and we have homemade ornaments. We also have the colored glass balls, as well as white and clear. We use both clear and colored lights as well. Oh and paper chains that we add to every year.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
My tree has always been red and gold. This year I am planning on having 2 trees, one will be white and silver and the other red and gold.

Next year I am hoping that my living room will have been redecorated and then it will have a red and silver tree, and I will keep the silver and white tree in the family room.

I have been saving the silver and white decorations for a couple of years now so I can't wait to use them.

I too have a thing for snowmen and this is usually my theme in the kitchen, however I will carry it throught to the family room this year as it is connected to my kitchen. Hence the white and silver scheme.

:frosty:

momtomaddie

Retire Member
Jul 17, 2008
East Central Indiana
My Mom bought us kids, my brother and I, a new Hallmark ornament every year. And last year when I got married, Mom gave me all of my Ornaments. So they are all pretty sentimental to me. None of them match or have a theme, but that's okay, lots of memories! I started the same thing with my husband, he gets to pick out a new ornament every year. So, our little tree is kinda' full! :grin:

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I have seven trees and each tree is theme decorated. The tree in the living room is Hallmark ornaments. The tree in my bedroom is going to be blue and white this year. The tree in the bathroom is snowman themed. The tree in the kitchen is gingerbread and candy themed. The tree in the dining room is going to be angels and gold trim to go with my theme. I have a small tree and bench that I am going to put outside my apt door this year and it will be snowmen. I am adding a smaller white tabletop tree in the living room and it will be gold. Although I am still trying to decide how I am going to decorte it. I also have a year round tree that I theme decorate. I am still working on that. I use clear lights on the smaller tree and multi-colored lights on the main tree. :bigsnow:

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
I have a Disney Tree, the decorations are silver and pearlised so they are not obviously Disney, then around the top i have the bright vacation baubles which i buy every time we have a Disney trip, so these are all colours!

I also have my childrens first christmas baubles with their names on.

Lots and lots of lights, when you think there is enough, just add some more!!

Pamelajane.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
When I was a kid we put everything we could get our hands on on our tree. Bright aluminum reflectors, and giant balls in all colors. And that beautiful metallic silver tinsel that's kind of hard to find these days. Then we'd throw tons of icicles on top of that and put a big plastic Santa on top.

Now, all of my ornaments are balls, or other blown shapes. I have plain red, gold, and pearl. Some of them have designs on them in one of those colors as well. Instead of tinsel I use beads. I bought a new tree skirt for this year and I can't wait to see it all together.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My family tree has all our ornaments thru the years and we keep it simple with white lights. I think that keeps the ornaments the focus. I don't add anything else..no ribbons, no garland, no stringy stuff...Just all ornaments and the balls my mom gave me to start my my own tree years ago.

Now my disney tree is all about color. Lots of pretty, bright colors. The lights are multi colored, to go with all the disney characters. I also use some metallic confetti type stings that come down around the tree at various points.

BUT I"m glad you started this topic, because I love my trees. I wouldn't change them for the world, but each year I love the black and silver ornaments more and more. I wish I had some place for another tree, but I don't. Also the new purple LED lights makes me want a purple and silver themed tree. I've had blue and silver, but purple and silver would be beautiful and would actually catch my husband eye. He LOVES purple!

Anyone ever see a purple themed tree before or have one??

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Our tree is also a mix...

Different colours, balls and other christmas ornaments which we either bought on special christmas markets or
have a special meaning for me...

I always think about having a special colour or theme, but at the end, all my decoration stuff is sooo cute, that
I have to use it!

Chilli

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
When I was growing up a friend of mine had two trees every year. One was in the fancy living room and the other was in the kid's reckroom. The one in the living room always looked beautifully decorated and coordinated. The one downstairs always had all the kid's ornaments, paper ones they made at school etc. I thought this was a really good idea. They had 4 kids and watched 2 or 3 others, so their tree would have been covered in just what the kids made alone.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Our tree is a mix. It does always have gold beads, red, green and gold balls, and red bows on it. The rest of the ornaments are sentimental ornaments.

The kitchen tree has a gingerbread/baking theme. The hall tree is primitive country.

Lisa

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
MinnieCo - My very first Christmas tree ever (when I moved out on my own) was purple and silver!

And it was so pretty! I'll have to see if I can find any pictures...but I did those colors because my boyfriend at the time loved purple. I liked it too, of course. :haha:

But then boyfriend went bye-bye and I met DH - who absolutely HATES purple. Guess who got to shop for new ornaments? Like that broke my heart! LOL!

Now I have 3 large trees, 2 small and I plan to put up 1 more large one this year.

Dining Room Tree: Red, Green, Silver and Gold - a mix of ornament bulbs, random ornaments within the basic color scheme, beaded garland, spray garland and the cutest quilted tree skirt from Bronner's (one I've sewn back together twice after the dogs pulled all the cute button attachments off - God Bless "Stop Chew" products!) :grin: I use white, red and green lights on this tree.

Living Room Tree: White lights, plus strands of multi on top of that. Royal blue and gold color scheme, with a theme of reindeer on top of that. I love collecting different reindeer themed items. I have touches throughout the whole living room.

Hallway Tree: This is a tall, skinny one with just white lights. The colors are red & silver. I call it my "Caroling & Cardinals" tree. I have some caroling mice ornaments and alot of blown glass, glittery or feather cardinal ornaments. They are so pretty!

New Porch Tree: This is the new tree planned for this year. We have a new glassed in porch on the back of our house that has allowed me to add another large tree to my Christmas plans! I bought the tree itself at a garage sale last summer, but ran out of time to get it up for Christmas '07. My plans are to do the tree in white lights only. Ornament bulbs will be in gold, cream and chocolate brown. The ornament theme with be "Outdoors/Natural".

I plan to dip silk oak leaves in gold paint, glitter up pine cones, etc. to add to the tree. Plus I've been picking up ornaments in that sort of rustic style here and there with this tree in mind. It is going to be a really fun one to do!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
How do you guys do it?? I have two and after I put my ENOURMOUS Disney tree up, I'm done!! I don't have room for one, but I'm not sure I have it in me for another. I'm really hoping to downsize my Disney tree though, so I look forward to it again. The tree itself is the problem, so I've been looking, but didn't find anything at the end of the year I liked. I'll just bite the bullet early in the season, watch for sales and buy a new one.

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
Our main tree is a Heinz 57 of things collected and handmade through the years by our children and grandchildren. We have a kitchen tree that is kitchen themed. I put a 2 foot tree in the bathroom that is snowmen. My tree in the bedroom is rustic and country. The tree in our office is nautical, because we were both in the Navy (at different times).

I am thinking this might be our last year of the Heinz 57 tree. I think it's time to package up each child's items and let them enjoy them on their own trees.

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
I just moved into a condo this Spring, and I'm already trying to decide how to decorate for Christmas. I'm hoping to do something similar to what coffeenut described, although I doubt I'll have the $$ this year to decorate the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms........but I'm hoping over the years I'll be able to.

Living Room: This will be easy because my tree already coordinates with my living room furniture (green and burgundy).

Master Bedroom: I'm planning on using my small tabletop tree. My decor in the bedroom is rose and cream, so I'd like to find some rose and pink ornaments for that tree.

Guest Bedroom: My guest room decor is Americana red/white/blue. If they aren't too expensive this year, I'd like to find another tabletop tree and decorate it in red/white/blue decorations.

TV Room: Eventually I'd like to get a pencil tree or a very slender tree for the corner of this room. The colors in the TV Room are mostly tans and creams with touches of browns, purples and dusty green. Not sure what type of ornaments I'll be able to find to coordinate.

I would love to put up a small tree in the dining room too, but I really doubt my wallet will allow me to this year. Still I can dream...............

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
My trees have seemed to change a lot over the years
Most of me trees are now decorated to go with the rooms year round decor...

This year~

Main Tree~ 9ft with clear lights and it will be decorated with Primitive Snowmen, Rusty Jingle bells, pip berries... Still working on this one....

Kitchen Tree~ 3ft with clear lights and its decorated with Old wooden spoons, vintage kitchen utnesils and cookie cutters.

Dining Room Tree~ 6ft clear lights and its decorated Primitive Americana (tea stained flags, barn red jingle bells, pip berries, etc.)

Our Room~ 6ft with clear lights and its decorated Shabby Chic (my old girly tree)

Bathroom~ 2ft with clear lights and it has Jingle bells, pip berries and little primitive sheep

Girls Room~ 6ft multi colored lights and its a Funky Tree (lots of bright colors, Bulbs and anything else funky they can find to stick on there... and my 9 yr used a BRATZ doll as a tree topper last year..LOL)

Boys Room~6ft tree with red lights and is decorated with Western/Cowboy (horse shoes(fake ones real ones were to heavy) Texas stars, rope for garland, cowboy hat for tree topper) Etc....

Patio Tree~ Gets lights and plastic ornaments that way if they get blown off I wont have a mess on my hands...

I also have a couple smaller trees that get put out..

One is a small 2ft tree that was one of my dads trees and it was given to me when he passed way (almost 10yrs ago) it has multi colored lights and little wooden ornaments and red bulbs..

I also have another 2 ft tree that I put on an endtable in the that is kinda plan but I think I do it because I just love the look of the lights when I turn off all the lights except the trees..LOL It has clear lights on it and red bulbs and some ribbon..

I also want to put up a tree that has all the ornaments people have given me over the years... just trying to decide were Im going to put it... :haha:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is one of my favorite threads at MHH. I love reading about everyones' trees. You can just hear the pleasure in each post! ::eek:rnament:

The rooms in my house are small rooms. I usually just have one tree in the living room, and then a little tree in the guest room/office/work room - for me, which I can put up as early as I like! (This year, I think it will be right after Halloween.)

(I have read about combining Christmas ornaments with strings of Christmas lights in large glass containers.) I think I will try this. And, I have strung Christmas lights over arches. I could put up artificial greenery and ornaments. It would just take more time and planning, because I think I already have the stuff.)

It is fun to plan and dream. :sleigh:

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
My main tree looks very vintage. I have small white lights and large colored lights. I collect vintage glass Christmas ornaments so our tree is full of those. I also have some of those shiny brite plastic nativity ornaments that were popular in the early seventies (when I was a kid). We also have all of our sentimental ornaments on it (babies first, ones the kids made in school etc). Needless to say this is a very big tree!! I also have a small kitchen tree that I do a different kitchen type theme with every year. Last year I did marshmallows. I put the tree in a vintage marshmallow tin and decorated it with those cute sh,more ornaments and cookie cutters and I string it with little rice lights.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
My main tree has all gold and red ornaments with clear lights and red beaded garland. I was talking about my tree over the weekend to a friend. I was saying how I really wanted to make my tree look fuller as far as decorations but not sure what to do. I'm tired of the ribbon. Maybe I'll try the bows again.