Index Card a Day 2012

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
This is a concept that has been around for a while....evidently I am always behind...lol.....so the idea is to journal, collage, doodle, do some type of art on an index card everyday...the suggested size over at Daisy Yellow is a 3 x 5 lined card. Some people use the 4x6 so it's really up to you. Some people also use the little bound index card books.

I decided since this is my first go at it that I will use the 3x5 size. I selected the lines even though some people use unlined. I thought the lines might help me some because I can't even draw a straight line.

Over at Daisy Yellow, she has posted prompts etc in 2011 to help people be inspired...I'm not sure how many she has up or when they started...I think this started as a month long challenge ans then people just kept going with it...I'll be keeping an eye on her blog to see if she has anything for January because I might need a bit of inspiration to keep this going!! LOL

Here's the Daisy Yellow blog: (she has great ideas...I love her blog!)

http://daisyyellow.squarespace.com/

Here's where I will journal my index Card a Day work...I can't promise a post a day ...but when I have time to blog it I will include several shots of cards!!

http://gingersjourney.blogspot.com/

Would love to have anyone who wants...join me in this challenge....even if you can't do a card every day!!

:welcome:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I saw something similar on Pinterest, except you write what happened that day on an index card and then store it in a box and at the end of the year you can read back through or many years later.

I think it's a neat idea and may try it!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Yes I saw the daily journal card thing on Pinterest too and I'm doing that also....that one focuses mainly on a short written entry and holds several years on one card so you have a "history" of your life.

This one is more art...here's an example of some cards.. not mine...lol

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I think this is a great idea.

Maybe I could take a picture a day? As I am terrible at writing and my drawing is just as bad!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
House Elf...that is a GREAT idea....a photo a day to chronical your year....all sorts of possibilities out there!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I've seen the photo a day for a year...very neat idea. I'm headed to check out that blog...tfs!

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
It sounds like a fun project, Ginger. Knowing myself, I wouldn't make it past a week to 10 days. I found a small scrapbook frame calendar and have decided to use it in a similar manner...only for Christmas/Rudolph Days. I think I might be able to tackle this on an index card a month basis...lol, but sadly that is probably more my speed. It does sound fun and thanks for sharing the blog...I am going to spend a little time there checking it out.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
It sounds like a fun project, Ginger. Knowing myself, I wouldn't make it past a week to 10 days. I found a small scrapbook frame calendar and have decided to use it in a similar manner...only for Christmas/Rudolph Days. I think I might be able to tackle this on an index card a month basis...lol, but sadly that is probably more my speed. It does sound fun and thanks for sharing the blog...I am going to spend a little time there checking it out.

I like the idea of doing the index card for Rudy days. They could be joined together & displayed as part of Christmas decorations or in Nov completeled with the last one counting our blessings & shared at Thanksgiving...

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Hhmm some interesting ideas. Ill have to think in that.

Ginger- some cards are lined on one side and blank on the other I think. That would give you options

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I agree that I am NOT much on long term projects....so it will be a miracle if I actually do an index card a day for the whole year...I'm thinking of it more in terms of....Index Card a Day for January etc...one month at a time...

The reason I think it might be doable is....the 3 x5 size is pretty small so it doesn't have to be time consuming....and working on a card while watching TV is certainly possible...some days with watercolor etc...I may work at the crop desk but other times a card and a handfull of markers would be easy to do...

The idea is to do some art every day...and the index cards are meant NOT to be masterpieces but simply places to doodle, explore techniques, and have some fun. Unlike Scrapbook pages which are created to preserve memories and meant to be beautiful....the index cards are meant to be messy and some times imperfect....

Rudolph Day cards are an awesome idea too!!

I'm not sure WHY I am feeling so artsy-creative but I am so we will see how this all pans out.

:clothes:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I won't post every card here on the forums...because it will take up too much space and you might get bored.... but here's Day Three

You can see other cards over at Ginger's Journey.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I feel like the index cards are evolving....or maybe I should say my art work is evolving...

Post about days 7-11 is up over at Ginger's Journey...

http://gingersjourney.blogspot.com/

:clothes:

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
Since the wreck I had on Nov 22(took on a semi and won as I am alive) My life is just now coming into being. By that I mean two consequtive thoughts w/o pain meds putting down. I have been so blessed by many many family members and friends and people I didn't know very well, I decided to hand write a Thank You card a day. When I got my list made of folks that helped after the wreck, I kept adding people that make me smile and probably don't even know it. Well, anyway, that is my goal for the year. A Thank You card a day. I have never stuck with anything that long, but gonna try. My heart felt thanks goes out to everyone on here that prayed for me and a special Thankyou to the ladies that sent me cards even though I was able to send mine. You all are very special to me.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
GrammyK such a wonderful idea! I know it will bless those that receive them

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Card for January 22nd:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
These are really neat, Ginger. Thanks for sharing. :)