Is Anyone Else This Lucky?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My daughter's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I need to do some shopping. I have been thinking about Christmas presents as well.

I asked K to give me some ideas of things she might like. Thankfully, she doesn't spend a lot of money on herself, so it would be rare that she would buy something that I had already bought for her.

I opened my email today and there is a list of 22 items! She has been building this list for a while now. Most are items that she would like, but would never think to buy for herself. Even better - they are all from Amazon. I could do all of her birthday and Christmas shopping in a matter of minutes if I wanted.

And no, she is not getting all 22 things. ;)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
That's great she's made it so easy for you!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nice! I do that with my mom... I make up my list with links on where to buy and send it to her.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love knowing the gifts I buy will be loved by the person who asked for them.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Pretty much I am this lucky too. DS gets far too much for one child at both Christmas and Birthdays! But I figure that we have no other family that he gets gifts from (ever!), that I can afford it and that he is not spoilt as such.
He gets nothing through the rest of the year unless he buys it himself through money he has earned I pay for some jobs around the house- the ones that I don't want to do but he will do to pick up $$$.

DS makes a pretty comprehensive list- he adds and subtracts. I do add extra surprises but I could pretty much do his stuff in one trip to the shops if I just followed his list! His list is ongoing through the year. After Christmas he starts his birthday list for April. Then in May starts the Christmas list.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Pretty much I am this lucky too. DS gets far too much for one child at both Christmas and Birthdays! But I figure that we have no other family that he gets gifts from (ever!), that I can afford it and that he is not spoilt as such.
He gets nothing through the rest of the year unless he buys it himself through money he has earned I pay for some jobs around the house- the ones that I don't want to do but he will do to pick up $$$.

DS makes a pretty comprehensive list- he adds and subtracts. I do add extra surprises but I could pretty much do his stuff in one trip to the shops if I just followed his list! His list is ongoing through the year. After Christmas he starts his birthday list for April. Then in May starts the Christmas list.

It's the same way with my kids. Family comment on them getting too much at Christmas, but I always set a budget and stay within it, but if I find a $70 item they want on clearance for $20, I figure I'll use what I saved for other things for them. They very rarely get anything else during the year though....only at Christmas and birthdays, whereas lots of people I know buy their kids tons of stuff all year through as soon as they ask for it. My kids have to wait for Christmas, so sometimes that means a lot of presents under the tree.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I used to do the same for my nieces and nephews when they were younger. They would have tons of stuff under the tree from me and I loved doing it. It is the only time they really got anything other than their birthday.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
That is awesome! Makes it so easy!

I actually use Amazon gift lists quite a bit, to list things I would like for DH and others to pick from and I've created a list for our son as well so family, etc. know what might be good choices for him. They can look it up or I can send a link.

My sister and a few others have Amazon wish lists too which is SO helpful for Christmas!!!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I phoned the kids in June and asked what to buy the grandkids for their birthdays and Christmas because I was going out shopping. They texted me their lists and I was done in one weekend. The only gifts I had left to buy are for DH and I already knew what he wanted and he's already gotten both of them. I may sneak in one more surprise for him for Christmas. I'm waiting for the end of summer clearances to get a small grill he's been wanting.

BTW, this was out of necessity, not pleasure.........although I did enjoy it. My FIL is terminally ill and I didn't want to be caught in a serious bind should things go bad during the holidays.

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Nice and easy Mel.

Jaymee makes a list for Teigan on Amazon. Christmas and then her b'day is 1-25 so.....

Jaymee will also make a list for what she would like and sometimes gives me hints for her Ryan. She makes a list for her FIL and then her MIL too. I always throw in other stuff.

I don't have a budget--I just buy till I think I have enough.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mel, ya got to love that girl.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
My son does this too for him and his fiancee although it usually takes some prodding.