Is it too late for me?!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk
(I hope I've posted it in the right section)

I 've been following the HGP for the last few years and I absolutely love it - it works really well for my family, and I tend to thrive when I have a clear, organised approach to anything.

However, this year I still haven't started! As a family we've had several massive changes in circumstances, the biggest of which is my children are now home schooled.

I've bought some gifts but that's it. The cleaning/prep/organising is completely non existent.I'm confident that in December I'll be able to spend more time doing 'HGP style' stuff (and maybe delegate some of the jobs to my kids).

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone know of/have tips for a watered-down version of HGP? Is it even achievable?!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
(I hope I've posted it in the right section)

I 've been following the HGP for the last few years and I absolutely love it - it works really well for my family, and I tend to thrive when I have a clear, organised approach to anything.

However, this year I still haven't started! As a family we've had several massive changes in circumstances, the biggest of which is my children are now home schooled.

I've bought some gifts but that's it. The cleaning/prep/organising is completely non existent.I'm confident that in December I'll be able to spend more time doing 'HGP style' stuff (and maybe delegate some of the jobs to my kids).

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone know of/have tips for a watered-down version of HGP? Is it even achievable?!
I would jump in with Christmas Countdown. We are in week 2. Yes, involve your children. You will find it here:http://christmas.organizedhome.com/christmas-countdown

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Yes, the Christmas Countdown and of course pop into the HGP thread too if that's a fave -- you'll find the same friendly faces . And yes, i've had to juggle this through many life changes over the years but this website has saved me so many times I cling onto it for dear life during the holidays. This year I'm trying to psychologically move my bigger house projects to January rather than feeling like they HAVE to be done by Christmas. The perfectionist in me wants them done by Christmas but really some of them can wait. And the family can rally to help - especially if positively motivated with Christmas movies, outings, treats etc. :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Agree with all of the above!!!

There is still a month until December even arrives - so starting now you are STILL ahead of the game compared to most - and you already have some gifts tucked away!!!

I'm a list maker - using CC and/or or parts of the HGP as a guide I would suggest mapping out what you are trying to accomplish - cleaning vs. holiday prep. Then go through that list and prioritize - do you really HAVE to dust above the kitchen cupboards to enjoy Christmas? :) You know what I mean!

Plug in time for tasks on your calendar - make sure you are not running yourself ragged! Something I am guilty of too often!

At a certain point EVERY year I have to cut things off the list that just aren't going to get done. Where you are now allows you to look at time left and decide what you are even going to try and tackle. Essential things get top focus.

And at the end of the day, whatever you do - little by little - is going to lessen the stress in the end - keep posting and sharing and venting! We're here for you!!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
It's never too late to jump in. Anything you can do now and in the weeks leading up will make things much more enjoyable.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I agree with all that's been said. :) If you can set aside 15-30 minutes a day to work on something, then you are already ahead of the game.

I do put my tasks on the calendar because if it isn't on the calendar, then it doesn't get done. I get sidetracked easily so having a point of reference has helped me. Another plus of writing tasks down on a calendar is that I'm not feeling so scattered. I can look off a list instead of trying to remember everything all the time.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
This year I'm letting go of everything because we are renovating the bathroom and it'll be full of dust everywhere. I'm think 2019 will be catching up. this year will be just an easy Christmas

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Never too late to jump on board. Prioritize the things that are an absolute must to get done and the write a list of extras if time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to get it all done. Get the kids involved, my kids (despite their protests) used to love to be involved in the Christmas prep.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I agree with everyone above! It's never too late. And the key is prioritize what is most important for your family to have a merry Christmas and the rest, don't worry about. No one will see or care if the laundry room is a wreck or you have dust bunnies under your couch. (Low lights, candels and Christmas lights hide the dust everywhere;)).
I found that food wise I have always over cooked and baked. Our 2 "bad" years in a row that we had, no one noticed that I had drastically cut back. I made sure that our die hard, absolute traditions were intact, the rest I let go. And it was just fine.
There's nothing wrong with family involvement in the prep! Every little bit helps that's for sure and you may develop some new traditions doing that.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Myrons Mom. Very good advice. I had a bad year a few years back and hurt my back the week before Christmas. The house was a mess and the presents weren't wrapped until 2 days before Christmas, (thanks mum), but in the end it was the perfect day for our family.
My husband always says "Don't sweat the small stuff"!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom