January 2019 declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tidied up what was mine in the outside wardrobe. There is a drawer full of old Playstation games. I think DD tried to sell some a few years back and these were the ones that were left. I will speak to her about them and if they are of mo use will be donated. I would like to move the wardrobe to the farm in the next little while so that it is up there and we have more space here.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Watched 2 episodes of Marie Kondo as everyone suggested.

Got rid of 2 scarves, 2 move-dvds, 1 length of fabric I will never use, and a few boxes (I won't be needing these to wrap for Christmas as I now have fabric bags.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have written notes in my planner for the next few weeks to really tackle certain areas. My vanity. I have done this recently but still kept a lot. Am going to look at this with fresh eyes. If I keep it I have to use it up. How many different face creams and masks can one person have??

Linen cupboard. The same here. Really look at what I have in here. Can some of it be moved, be disposed of? Do I need all that is in here or can I donate some of it? Think of how to use the space better.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got 3 more basement shelves organized. I found a glass container to donate. I sorted through papers in the "To be read/filed later" pile. I decluttered the entertainment area in our family room.

I have found another bag of papers in the basement that need to be sorted through this week. :rolleyes: I wonder how many more are hidden down there.

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Doing well all. I think that if I can get onto things pretty hard at the beginning of the year I will be in really good shape by the end.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I showed Dh how to Marie Fold his t-shirts.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Cleaned out my baking pantry and am in the processes restocking the supplies that I used up during the holidays. Got rid of a couple ingredients that were past their prime and were iffy looking. Transferring products from their containers into labeled mason jars and plastic food storage containers to make it more neat and less cluttered looking and easier to see when I am running low on something.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Great job everyone! What a haul to be rid of Jody!

I haven't been doing anything for the past few weeks but want to hit the last few spots this week before February hits. I did get some done this month so i'm proud of that. I have the cabinet in the front room that I want to tackle and the table has stuff on it again, some of which is gathering to be donated, the island is getting cluttered again- just can't figure out a solution to keep everything from accumulating there. Thoughts? I also need to file some paperwork that has, once again, accumulated on the tech center. If I can hit all that before Friday i'll be happy.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Great job everyone! What a haul to be rid of Jody!

I haven't been doing anything for the past few weeks but want to hit the last few spots this week before February hits. I did get some done this month so i'm proud of that. I have the cabinet in the front room that I want to tackle and the table has stuff on it again, some of which is gathering to be donated, the island is getting cluttered again- just can't figure out a solution to keep everything from accumulating there. Thoughts? I also need to file some paperwork that has, once again, accumulated on the tech center. If I can hit all that before Friday i'll be happy.
What kind of stuff gathers on your island? I thought it might be papers but you mentioned it piles up on the tech center.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It's the end of the month and everyone is doing so well!

I have a little kitchen island. Sometimes I have luck with keeping a fruit basket in the center. It seems to discourage clutter when the kitchen is being used. However, every day after school, the island gets cluttered with drinking glasses, cups, food, etc. until dinner clean up.

I went through that bag of papers. I'm seeing a big difference in our basement after a month. I still have a long way to go but I am motivated more than ever to keep on with this project.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, you are doing so well on the basement. Keep imagining what it will look like when it is done.
Jody, that is a lot to get out of the house, well done.
I deep cleaned one side of the gift closet yesterday, need to do the other side tomorrow and vacuum. Once I get DH clothes done that will be finished in there. The hardest bit is getting DH to do his clothes. Will need to do ensuite bathroom and bedside drawers and that room is completely decluttered. a work in progress but will be done by the end of February.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
What kind of stuff gathers on your island? I thought it might be papers but you mentioned it piles up on the tech center.

It's just random items. For example, right now on the island there are two bike locks, children's Motrin, DS's rag that goes in his car that he brought in with him this morning and didn't take back out, DD's bookmark and Starbucks receipts and chewing gum, a pile consisting of a small cribbage board, two metal bread tins? with Uno cards inside and a crossword book, a container of Clorox wipes, an envelope for DD's girl scout cookie sales as well as an order form, a pen, walkie talkie....etc. It's just a bunch of weird randomness that ends up there. o_O

I have one small, square sign that says "Welcome to our home" on the front and "Eat local" on the back sitting on the corner with a piece of aloe plant in a mason jar and some candles and that is all that should be on the island.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Mary- Mine also gathers drinking cups from the two older kids, always half filled with water. I cannot tell you how many times one has accidentally been knocked over onto whatever papers are sitting nearby for school things. I keep telling them to put their cups on the table. Drives me crazy!!

I tackled the last bit of the tech center this morning! I filed all the paperwork that needed to be filed, threw away what didn't and put other items where they belonged. There is still a shelf that is bothering me that I need to address, but the main area is now cleaned off. I am the biggest problem person that puts stuff in that area so it's up to me to keep it that way now and file things as they come about.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got up early this morning and tackled the vanity. I went through it recently so it was clean just cluttered. I looked at all the things that I had in there and got rid of a lot. I had a lot of hand creams that I bought and never liked (too oily, too sticky) so they went out. I had a few hair masks that I will never use and just bits and pieces, old hair clips, etc. I have a microwave sugar wax for hair removal on legs that I want to try so have written notes in my planner to try what is left and then use it up.
I have decided that I am a creature of habit. I like a specific lipstick, foundation, face cream etc so I will stick to those as I know they work and stop buying other things that I may not like.