January 2020 Declutter Club.

Discussion in 'The Declutter Club' started by sweetpumkinpye, Dec 31, 2019.

1. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

And so starts a new year of clutter control.

I will start with Christmas clutter, there are things I no longer want or need.
    Then I will continue room by room throughout the year and see what I can find.

Holiday_Mom and jampss like this.
  2. jampss

jampss Well-Known Member

I have plans to declutter the hall closet to start with!

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  3. housewife2

housewife2 Well-Known Member

i have done some bags everyday this week to go to goodwill. clothes books knick knacks feels good to get rid of them. i have way to much stuff . thats my goal for 2020 only buy what i need. want to save for a vacation this summer.

Holiday_Mom, luludou and jampss like this.
  4. Christmaslvr

Christmaslvr Active Member

I will be making an effort to get back here more regularly, 2019 was a bust! Lol
    I also will be starting with Christmas d├ęcor, and I already have one box for donation. I need to drastically reduce what we have and then reorganize for next year. After that I have already started planning out my room by room plan. I anticipate it will take most of the year, and that's ok.

Holiday_Mom, luludou and jampss like this.
  5. sweetpumkinpye

There are many charities here that are looking for donations to help people affected by the bushfires. I will use the opportunity to clear our some drawers and my wardrobe and see what I can donate. A sad but good reason to declutter.

Holiday_Mom and jampss like this.
  6. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

I asked for and received Marie Kondo's book "Spark Joy." I'm ready to read the Introduction and have a go at getting organized. I have too much "stuff" crammed into the bedroom dh & I live in.

jampss likes this.
  7. sweetpumkinpye

Deb, I have not read this but have seen the TV show. Something that I would like to try this year are her methods.

jampss likes this.
  8. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

2020, up to now decluttered
    - 6 books given to mom
    - 1 cushion given to dn
    - 1 sweater given to dn
    - 1 fabric reindeer in donation box

Ahorsesoul and jampss like this.
  9. jampss

jampss Well-Known Member

There was a series of maybe six or seven Tidy Up shows on Netflix with Marie Kondo. It was really good.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  10. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

Netflix? I'll have to look for it. Thanks.

jampss and Ahorsesoul like this.
  11. sweetpumkinpye

Am decuttering the Christmas totes, it is harder than I thought but somethings have to go. I have too much and do not want to buy another tote.

PamelaG and Ahorsesoul like this.
  12. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

Would taking a picture of some of the things help you with letting go?

January 2nd and we're off to a good start. I'm planning to declutter the basement for the month of January. I did that last year and it was a bigger project than I expected. It had been a couple of years since I sorted through things. This year shouldn't be as bad.

Today, I got rid of some newspapers and flyers that I saved throughout December just in case I needed extra coupons, which I didn't...

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  13. sweetpumkinpye

One of the problems I am having is donating things that I think that the kids might want. I have taken photos of a few things and sent them to the kids and they are saying to donate. Makes the decision easier.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  14. luludou

Gave an infinity scarf I crocheted to dniece. Threw away the Christmas tablecloth (was thorn in some places) as well as a very old sweater.
    DH took 5 books + 1 cheese cutting board to thrift shop this morning.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  15. sweetpumkinpye

Decluttered Christmas and was pleased with what I managed to donate. One garbage bag full of Christmas decorations, old headbands, Santa hats, signs. Things that were broken or just no longer needed.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Holiday_Mom and Ahorsesoul like this.
  16. luludou

Gave dnephew a pair of running shoes (had worn them once). Sent more small ramequins to thrift shop

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  17. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

More paper going out. Son cleaned his room and has garbage sacks going out. Not sure if he is done or not in there.

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  18. Holiday_Mom

I started decluttering the basement today. Two large boxes filled with broken down boxes from online shopping this past Christmas have been taken to the curb for pick up.

luludou and Lana like this.
  19. Lolwlias

Lolwlias Well-Known Member

I'm starting with my Master Bath, with ongoing work on my Scrap/Computer Room, I have already made a HUGE dent in it. I need to clear off the tables & desk. I also bought a label maker so I can separate embelishments & label the drawers Christmas/Family/Etc.
    I bought the Lifechanging Magic of Tidying up a year or two ago but never got into it.
    There are many cleaning videos on YouTube. It's called Clean With Me. You'll find lots & lots. They can be very motivating.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    luludou and Holiday_Mom like this.
  20. Holiday_Mom

I got more stuff out of the basement either to the trash or recycling. I also have a corner in the basement set aside for donations. Some of the donations are things that I went through last year but wasn't ready to give it up. I had decided that if I used it within the year then I'd keep it. If not, then it was time to donate. There are still things in the basement that are sentimental so I will keep those another year and evaluate.