January Hippity Hoppity Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi Everyone!

So... January Hippity Hoppity Day is upon us. I'm wondering what everyone has planned?

I don't need to do much in the way of planning for Easter, but I use Hippity Hoppity Day as a day to think about any events which may be happening in Autumn (Southern Hemisphere here).

So, for me I'll mainly be thinking about my sister's wedding which is happening in March. I'm the Maid of Honour, and I think it's about time I started jotting down notes for my speech (eek!). Also, thinking about her Hens day/night.

Also, my younger daughter's birthday is in March so I will need to start considering venues for a picnic or bbq celebration for the family.

It feels strange thinking about events other then Christmas, but it must be done!!

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I think about a special thing we could do besides the traditional egg-hunt, eg the first picnic of the season or something like this. But this depends also on the weather. Furthermore I have a look in my crafting books as well as the internet to get decoration/crafting ideas

Chilli

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Great ideas Chilli!

I actually haven't done an Easter Egg hunt before - I guess it was a combination of the girls being too little and the garden being messy and overgrown.

This year, I think it could be done though!

One of my January goals is to have the lawn sorted out, and some new plants put in. If this can be achieved, a garden easter egg hunt can be our reward!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Sarah - we have always taken the boys to a local egg hunt where the eggs are "hidden" in plain sight all over a flat lawn! Too funny.

My SIL and I agreed (at Christmas) that we are no longer going to put together Easter baskets or Christmas stockings for my MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL etc. We will do one for each other and a few things each for the kids. They're an ungrateful bunch, so I'd rather put my effort elsewhere.

I have started collecting things for my boys. I bought sidewalk chalk, bubbles, etc. On sale at the end of summer.

That's probably all I'll get done this month, but thank you for the reminder that it will be here soon!!!!

AEMC

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2011
Texas
I have been thinking about Easter....

I haven't been planning on the Easter activities and baskets as much as I have my menu that I am hoping to prepare for our Sunday lunch that day! I am trying to do something new--our family is tired of ham...thinking of doing something like pork tenderloin?? I am not the best at preparing the meat dishes....they intimidate me!

Anyway....I am open for any suggestions anyone might have on this subject.

I probably should be looking online for fun activities to do with my kiddos? Any special sites anyone can recommend? I do know about Family Fun website. My kids are ages 16, 14, and 9 (two girls and a boy). We usually dye eggs and that sort of stuff. I'm thinking we might actually make a bunny cake (bunnies have a special significance around here! long but fun story!!).

Well...thanks in advance for any help or suggestions....
Sincerely,
Angie

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
With DMIL moving out of her house, and ODS/DDIL moving in, Easter will be the last "big" family event that DMIL hosts in the house and the first Easter egg hunt with the DGKS in their new house. Lots of planning, a few tears, but we'll get through it.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Easter is pretty much a low key holiday for us since we stopped hosting Easter dinner a few years ago. We do Easter Baskets for the kids and hide them and cook a nice dinner but thats it. In the past we have always done Ham for Easter dinner but this year I think I will pick up some really nice thick steaks to grill. I always make desserts .. thinking about pineapple upside down cake and another type of cake for the kids as they dont like pineapple upside down.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This year DS will be just over two years old come Easter and I think a traditional egg hunt is the way to go!

I'll start talking to DH about the idea now, but I'm guessing we could set something simple up in the backyard. For someone that young it is probably best just to lay them out on the lawn in plain sight - lol!

This months Hip Hop Day I will do some planning around these bullet items:

Easter “Basket”
- Toys
- Art Supplies
- Minimal Candy!
- "Hide" along with rest of eggs for “hunt”?

Easter Egg Hunt
-Plastic Eggs
-Toys for inside eggs? Candy? Mix of both?
> A few jellybeans?
> Cheerios; Goldfish crackers; Etc.
> Make some Easter theme felt finger puppets
> Make some simple little felt animals, people, etc.
> Squeeze ball or other small ball?
- Find/Purchase small basket with easy handle for carrying eggs during the hunt

Misc. Easter Activities/Crafts with DS?

Easter Outfit/Photos

- Family Photo
- Candid shots during the "hunt"

Easter Supper

- MIL will host
- Determine what I am bringing
- Plan special Easter breakfast for just us at home?

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Happy Hippity Hoppity Day everyone!!

Aunt Jamelle, that's a great list!

My three year old doesn't really like chocolate so her basket is likely to consist of crafty items. Jellybeans and lollies in general are a good idea though!

I am not sure on the crafts yet. Perhaps making some bunny ears?

Lunch/Dinner is likely to be a picnic of sorts, whether in the backyard or a park somewhere. So light food (mini quiche, sandwhiches etc) will be the best options.

Also, seeing as I am thinking about Autumn events in general today, I decided on the location for my daughter's birthday picnic. It's a park with a fantastic new playground! We've only been there once seeing as it is a bit of a drive, but not too far for everyone who is invited. I also picked the cake I am making. It's basically a three layer sponge cake which is decorated to look like a present. It looks pretty cool in the book - pretty easy too :)

St Patrick's Day is also in Autumn here. It's on a Saturday this year I believe, so I'm hoping there will be a parade of sorts to take the kids to. It's a bit too early to check that though.

Anzac Day -My girls have never been to a dawn service. I'm considering taking them... or maybe just the older one. Not sure yet... will have to judge closer to the time. They may need to wait a bit longer...

Mothers Day - we would normally have a picnic for this, but in doing so I usually create a lot of work for myself. Being a mum too, I should be able to have an easy day! So, I'm thinking it would be good to go to a restaurant for lunch. Maybe breakfast? Not sure on presents yet. More thinking needed there!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I don't know what our plans are for Easter... depends on when I am having my final surgery. No fancy brunch this year.

Every year I send out a few Easter care packages.. this will not change this year.

On Hippity Hoppity Sunday, I went on Pinterest and found a few craft ideas to make for our care packages.

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
We will probably be in the middle of closing DMIL's house and getting her moved to Idaho and getting ODS and family moved into the house. I'd love to do an Easter egg hunt there for the DGKs with a ham buffet lunch for all the family and friends helping the moving process.

April is also DMIL's birthday, DGNiece birthday and DGD's 4th birthday, so there have to be plans for those also.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Cmerth - would you mind sharing what you put in your care packages? Good luck with the surgery!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I usually make something... knit or sew something small. I like to include a touch of candy and something made by Kiddo. Each year it is different....depending on what I can find to fill the boxes.

I like most of our stuff to be homemade. We do different things to hold the carepackages... boxes, bags and even hats.