January Monthly Magic (Assignments)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
January Monthly Magic:

Tracking Magic:

1. Get a calendar, a calendar that works for you, that you love. It can be a planner, single pages in your notebook, or a premade hang on the wall calendar. Now go through it one month at a time and write down ALL important events…even if they are not holidays…you will need to plan around them. Write down birthdays, anniversaries etc. Even if you do not celebrate them, it’s nice to know them. You can then wish people a happy birthday verbally or asked how they celebrated etc.

2. Go back through your calendar and put a seasonal sticker or draw a small symbol on Rudolph Days, GPD, and Turkey Day each month.

3. Now look just at January: Use a highlighter and highlight any events that you plan to celebrate or “do” something for. Create a mini “to do” list for each one. Use a single sheet of paper so you can see all of them at once but give each one its own little list. If you have four events (big or small) Divide the paper into four sections. Now you have an idea of WHAT you need to do in January!!!

Celebration Magic:

1. Buy all cards for the month and for Feb also…this will let us buy the month before for the rest of 2008. Sign, Address, and Stamp them.

2. Any Major January Events? Birthday party? Make your party planner list now.

Creative Magic:

1. Crafty: Pick a craft (maybe Valentine’s one or a Christmas 2008 gift) Buy or gather all your supplies. Set aside time each week to work on it.

2. Self Discovery: Start an Art Journal for 2008 focusing on self discovery.

3. Kids: Pick a family craft for the month or get party favors ready for Valentine’s Day.

Future Magic

1. Look ahead to February. Any events in the first seven days? If so those need to be planned now.

2. January Rudolph Day:
*Update Christmas card list and all addressed
* Clean out notebook. Print new forms
* Update gift closet inventory

3. Great Pumpkin Day
*Have some fun….search for party ideas on line!

4. Turkey Day
*Organize recipes from 2007
*Print that Thanksgiving Planner if you haven’t already

5. Year Round Christmas Prep: Make a craft list for the year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Re: January Monthly Magic

1. Get a calendar, a calendar that works for you, that you love. It can be a planner, single pages in your notebook, or a premade hang on the wall calendar. Now go through it one month at a time and write down ALL important events…even if they are not holidays…you will need to plan around them. Write down birthdays, anniversaries etc. Even if you do not celebrate them, it’s nice to know them. You can then wish people a happy birthday verbally or asked how they celebrated etc. (Done!)

2. Go back through your calendar and put a seasonal sticker or draw a small symbol on Rudolph Days, GPD, and Turkey Day each month. (Done!)

3. Now look just at January: Use a highlighter and highlight any events that you plan to celebrate or “do” something for. Create a mini “to do” list for each one. Use a single sheet of paper so you can see all of them at once but give each one its own little list. If you have four events (big or small) Divide the paper into four sections. Now you have an idea of WHAT you need to do in January!!! (Done, didn't have anything)

Celebration Magic:

1. Buy all cards for the month and for Feb also…this will let us buy the month before for the rest of 2008. Sign, Address, and Stamp them. (Need to purchase one card for my mom)

2. Any Major January Events? Birthday party? Make your party planner list now. (Nope)

1. Crafty: Pick a craft (maybe Valentine’s one or a Christmas 2008 gift) Buy or gather all your supplies. Set aside time each week to work on it. (Going to make a Christmas Notebook for mom's bday on the 31st. Been thinking and maybe i'll just order her a Household Organization book instead, not sure yet.)

2. Self Discovery: Start an Art Journal for 2008 focusing on self discovery. (Hadn't thought about this but may give it a shot)

3. Kids: Pick a family craft for the month or get party favors ready for Valentine’s Day. (I think i'll have my DS decorate a card for my DH to send him in Korea)

Future Magic

1. Look ahead to February. Any events in the first seven days? If so those need to be planned now. (DH's birthday but he'll be overseas so nothing to plan)

2. January Rudolph Day:
* Update Christmas card list and all addressed
* Clean out notebook. (Done!) Print new forms. (Will do soon.)
* Update gift closet inventory (Done!)

3. Great Pumpkin Day

4. Turkey Day

5. Year Round Christmas Prep: Make a craft list for the year. (Did this in another thread!)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

LOL...you are like me...January is an easy month for me too!!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri

Yep, one birthday and it's on the 31st. LOL

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
1. Get a calendar, a calendar that works for you, that you love. It can be a planner, single pages in your notebook, or a premade hang on the wall calendar. Now go through it one month at a time and write down ALL important events…even if they are not holidays…you will need to plan around them. Write down birthdays, anniversaries etc. Even if you do not celebrate them, it’s nice to know them. You can then wish people a happy birthday verbally or asked how they celebrated etc. Already done. :0)

2. Go back through your calendar and put a seasonal sticker or draw a small symbol on Rudolph Days, GPD, and Turkey Day each month. Done, too!

3. Now look just at January: Use a highlighter and highlight any events that you plan to celebrate or “do” something for. Create a mini “to do” list for each one. Use a single sheet of paper so you can see all of them at once but give each one its own little list. If you have four events (big or small) Divide the paper into four sections. Now you have an idea of WHAT you need to do in January!!! I have highlighted the events this month. We have one anniversary to send a card to, a baby shower and a Family Game Night we're hosting.

Thanks for the support!
:heartsNY:

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
Thanks for your great list - I´ve done the most. I have a lot of cards from last year. Do you know what I can do with cards I never will use? (no view why I bought them)

Do you have a fixed date for Turkey Day like Rudolph Day?? :help: We haven`t Thanksgiving here - therefore we have three days of Christmas to organize ;)

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Thanks for the terrific list, GIngerbug! Just what I need to stay organized. I just printed it out for my notebook.
:heartsNY:

Basket said:
Thanks for your great list - I´ve done the most. I have a lot of cards from last year. Do you know what I can do with cards I never will use? (no view why I bought them)

Do you have a fixed date for Turkey Day like Rudolph Day?? :help: We haven`t Thanksgiving here - therefore we have three days of Christmas to organize ;)
Turkey day (TD) is the fourth thursday of each month
Rudy day (RD) is the 25th of every month
Great Pumpkin day (GPD) is the 30th/31st of every month

of course as I have mentioned before I will use the 13th as my GPD to break up the end of the month since the other three clash around the same week. 13 is 31 backwards and a superstitious number!!!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Gingerbug's January List with dates for completion:

Tracking Magic:

[X ] Print off calendar for Year Round Holiday Notebook (by Jan. 3rd)
[ X ] Put all important dates known at this time on calendar (by Jan. 5th)
[ X ] Put stickers on Rudolph Day, GPD, and Turkey Day (Jan 5th)
[ X ] I am also noting the weeks of Jumpstart January on this calendar too (Jan 5th)
[X] Highlight dates & Create mini to do list for each (Jan. 6th)

Celebration Magic:

[X] Buy all cards for the month and for Feb also. (By Jan.5th or 6th)
[ ] Sign, Address, and Stamp them. (by the 10th)
[X] Start planning Chinese New Years Eve Party...(will be Feb 9th)

Creative Magic:

[ ] Start on winter art albums/photo books for 24 days gifts next year (need three)
[3] Self Discovery: Work on The 2008 art journal...about ME
[ ] Don't need a kids craft so I will continue my Journal Your Christmas project

Future Magic

[X] Look ahead: February. Valentine's Day and Chinese New Years start planning list (by January 15th)

[ ] January Rudolph Day:
*Update Christmas card list and all addresses { }
* Clean out notebook. Print new forms { }
* Update gift closet inventory { }

[ ] Great Pumpkin Day
*Have some fun….search for party ideas on line! { }

[ ]Turkey Day
*Organize recipes from 2007 { }
*Print that Thanksgiving Planner if you haven’t already { }

[X] Year Round Christmas Prep: Make a craft list for the year. by January 31st

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Basket said:

Basket, regarding cards you won't use...have a swap with some friends. I did this a few years ago and think I might bring it up this year again with my friends. I always end up with half a box of cards left each year and I don't want to reuse them as do many of my friends. We bring all our leftovers and trade. We made a night of it with snacks and drinks and everyone went home with "new" cards.

keepermom

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Ohio
This looks like fun! Thanks Gingerbug for the great ideas.

January Monthly Magic:

Tracking Magic:

1. (a)Get a calendar, a calendar that works for you, that you love. I don't LOVE it but it works for me! DONE!
(b)Now go through it one month at a time and write down ALL important events…even if they are not holidays…you will need to plan around them. Write down birthdays, anniversaries etc.

2. Go back through your calendar and put a seasonal sticker or draw a small symbol on Rudolph Days, GPD, and Turkey Day each month.

3. (a) Now look just at January: Use a highlighter and highlight any events that you plan to celebrate or “do” something for.
(b)Create a mini “to do” list for each one.

Celebration Magic:

1. Buy all cards for the month and for Feb also…this will let us buy the month before for the rest of 2008. Sign, Address, and Stamp them.

2. Any Major January Events? Birthday party? Make your party planner list now.

Creative Magic:

1. Crafty: Pick a craft (maybe Valentine’s one or a Christmas 2008 gift) Buy or gather all your supplies. Set aside time each week to work on it.

2. Self Discovery: Start an Art Journal for 2008 focusing on self discovery. What is an Art Journal?

3. Kids: Pick a family craft for the month or get party favors ready for Valentine’s Day.

Future Magic

1. Look ahead to February. Any events in the first seven days? If so those need to be planned now.

2. January Rudolph Day:
*Update Christmas card list and all addresses

3. Great Pumpkin Day
We don't do Halloween so I can skip this.

4. Turkey Day
*Print that Thanksgiving Planner if you haven’t already What planner???

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
@jackfrosty & momof4: Thank's for sharing. That are good ideas.

mom23angels

MHH Member
Jan 2, 2008
Tracking Magic:

1. Get a calendar, a calendar that works for you, that you love. It can be a planner, single pages in your notebook, or a premade hang on the wall calendar. Now go through it one month at a time and write down ALL important events…even if they are not holidays…you will need to plan around them. Write down birthdays, anniversaries etc. Even if you do not celebrate them, it’s nice to know them. You can then wish people a happy birthday verbally or asked how they celebrated etc. In process, the site where i get my calender currently only has through September up. Also need to get other dates from family.....

3. Now look just at January: Use a highlighter and highlight any events that you plan to celebrate or “do” something for. Create a mini “to do” list for each one. Use a single sheet of paper so you can see all of them at once but give each one its own little list. If you have four events (big or small) Divide the paper into four sections. Now you have an idea of WHAT you need to do in January!!! done

Celebration Magic:

1. Buy all cards for the month and for Feb also…this will let us buy the month before for the rest of 2008. Sign, Address, and Stamp them.setting time aside to make cards

2. Any Major January Events? Birthday party? Make your party planner list now.started

Creative Magic:

1. Crafty: Pick a craft (maybe Valentine’s one or a Christmas 2008 gift) Buy or gather all your supplies. Set aside time each week to work on it.done

2. Self Discovery: Start an Art Journal for 2008 focusing on self discovery.

Future Magic

2. January Rudolph Day:

3. Great Pumpkin Day

4. Turkey Day

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Jumping in, and thanks for the list Gingerbug!

Tracking Magic:

[X] Choose calendar--I use two--my Franklin Covey Planner and a large one in the Kitchen!!!
[X ] Put all important dates known at this time on calendar
[X] Put stickers on Rudolph Day and Turkey Day --we don't do much for Halloween other than decorating
[X] Note the weeks of Jumpstart January on both calendars
[X] Highlight important January dates & Create mini to do list for each

Celebration Magic:

[ ] Order cards for the year from Current
[ ] Sign, Address, and Stamp January & February cards

Creative Magic:
[ ] Sort pix for scrapbooking--sounds like a good snow day project!!
[ ] Purchase a scrapbooking magazine or "how to" book; I've wanted to get started with this for SO long, so I'm just going to jump in with both feet!!!
[ ] Inventory & organize craft supplies
[ ] Search internet for Valentine's craft (may be heart streamers to hang in DD's bedroom doorway as a surprise??)

Future Magic

[ ] Look ahead: February: Valentine's Day start planning list (by January 15th)

[ ] January Rudolph Day:
*Update Christmas card list and all addresses { }
* Clean out notebook. Print new forms { }
* Update gift closet inventory { }

[ ]Turkey Day
*Organize recipes from 2007 { }
*Print that Thanksgiving Planner; tweak that section of Holiday Notebook{ }

[ ] Year Round Christmas Prep: Make a craft list for the year????{ }

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
This list is awesome and just what I was attempting (far more imperfectly) to implement on a monthly basis this year. I can see this site is going to be a just what I need to organize not just Christmas but also a whole year of celebrations.

I was so sad about the OC boards closing but now I'm so excited to get started over here! :-D

mom23angels

MHH Member
Jan 2, 2008
Tracking Magic
1. Get a calendar.[!]
2. Write down all important events.[mostly done]
3. Mark Rudolph Day and Turkey day each month.[!]
4. Highlight celebrationsfor Jan.[!]
5. Make to do list for celebrations.[!]

Celebration Magic
1. Make cards for Jan and Feb.[]
2. Sign, Adress, And Stamp.[]
3. Make Party Planner Lists for Jan.[]

Creative Magic
1. Crafty
a. Pick a craft[going to start working on crocheted snowflake ornaments for the tree]
b. Gather supplies[!]
c. Set times to work on it[!]
2. Self Discover - start an art journal focusing on self discovery[]
3. Kids
a. pick a family craft for the month[]

Future Magic
1. Look at February, start plans for any events in the begining of the month[nothing 'till Valentines]
2. January Rudolph Day
a. Update Christmas card list[]
b. Clean out notebook, print new forms[]
c. update gift closet inventory[going to start one this year]
3. Turkey Day
a. Organize recipes from '07[]
b. Print Thanksgiving Planner[]
4. Great Pumpkin Day

5. Year 'Round Christmas Prep - make a craft list for the year[]
Just realized that I posted a list already....oops! :thud:

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
Tracking Magic:
[X] Get a calendar and note important dates - I've done this for years and it works so well!
[X] Go back through your calendar and put a seasonal sticker or draw a small symbol on Rudolph Days - I don't do the other days. This year I've moved Rudolph Day to the next available Sunday as it seems I get more accomplished this way.
[X]Now look just at January: Use a highlighter and highlight any events and create a mini “to do” list for each one - I don't really have any big events in Jan.

Celebration Magic:
[X] Buy all cards for the month and for Feb also… - I buy for the whole year then I don't have to run out every month. The only time I need a card is for Mother's Day etc. Funny, when I was buying my cards this year the cashier commented on what a huge family I must have! I laughed and said no, no that's for the whole year!
[X] Address/mail cards for January. I have three birthdays in January.

Creative Magic:
[X] Crafty: Pick a craft.- I've already decided to make a cookie sheet advent calendar for next Christmas. I've collected some supplies to work with throughout the year.
[X] Self Discovery: Start an Art Journal for 2008 focusing on self discovery. - I've always kept a journal although not regularly. It's a trait I picked up from my grandma.

Future Magic
[] Look ahead to February. Any events in the first seven days? If so those need to be planned now. - I'm in denial....I'm not going to look at February until January Rudolph Day!

[] January Rudolph Day:

jkbb2

Retire Member
Oct 17, 2007
ohhh Gingerbug--you rock! thank for the list, i have printed it out and will get started on it and post a bit later!!!! :-D :-D :-D