Lessons Learned Christmas 2015...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So friends, what did we learn this year? All those little mental notes we make to ourselves as the season occurs - those gotchas - those never agains - those I need to remember that next times!

What are you making a note of for next year? How do you keep track of your lessons learned so they are easy to hand when planning and celebrating come round again?

My list is still cooking in my brain - trying to get some thoughts typed up today!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
In 2016 I will be changing up a few things.

Christmas cards are obviously I tradition that is dying. I sent out 30 Christmas cards (not including the MHH swap ones) and received 6 back. I am really not prepared to spend my time and money sending people cards when the can't be bothered to reciprocate. I am happy to put that money and time to other things.

Baking, just the right amount. I still have a few things left but what we had was just right.

Stockings, (we actually do Santa sacks). We seemed to get a lot of sweets and food treats in our stockings. Next year I would like to cut that back a bit. I am still trying to find room in the pantry for all the bits and pieces.

Overall I was very pleased with how this Christmas turned out. We had a lot of fun and the kids liked all of their gifts.
And so it begins again!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
In 2016 I will be changing up a few things.

Christmas cards are obviously I tradition that is dying. I sent out 30 Christmas cards (not including the MHH swap ones) and received 6 back. I am really not prepared to spend my time and money sending people cards when the can't be bothered to reciprocate. I am happy to put that money and time to other things.!

I have done this too. I am now down to under 10 cards for family and friends. Last year and this year I tracked who sent cards. So anyone who didn't send out a card in the last two years will not be on my list for next year. I do have one friend who I will continue to send a card to because I know she has been having a very hard time since her DS died (plus other family problems). But the rest are off my list.

I need to buy santa gifts for the grandkids for next year. Didn't cross my mind this year (too much with DD going on). But next year I want a few tiny gifts and a stocking to bring them.

I also had gifts in several places thinking I would remember. I still have one for Dh that I forgot to get out. There other gifts forgotten can be rotated into a larger tote so I can have then all in one place. I even found some Easter gifts that were forgotten. lol

I do need to start baking early. I tend to put if off and then do not do it.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Overall, I was really happy with how everything went.

A few things to note for next/ future years.

I need to track my "Secret Stash" as Luke calls it better. This is my pre-Christmas treats purchases- shortbreads, chocolates, drinks, goodies. I stock up in the weeks before Christmas and stash them away. This year we have far too many chocolates- we love chocolate but will be eating them til Easter. Too much of a good thing is too much!

Also this will not happen again- as he has it now but do not give a game console on Christmas without setting it up previously. Gone are the days of plug and play games. The XBox One needs to download from the internet before it can be used. Also games need to be installed (although they are on disc) I have very fast, good quality internet but the problem was with everyone else trying to access the xbox site to do the same thing.
Result was that it took hours longer than I thought- which put breakfast late then lunch late as DS wanted to get his new XBox working! I can understand his frustration- he had a brand new console and just wanted it working!

What I did like was having fresh bones ready for Merlin and Kelso on Christmas morning- they chewed for ages which gave us lots of time to open gifts.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Where do I start-LOL
Christmas cards-I LOVED the MHH ones and will of course do that again-as for the friends/family, I have a pretty manageable list. Did do the MHH ones right after Thanksgiving, but waited too long to do the others-will do them all together next year.
Baking/cooking: Since I worked 10 out of 11 days right before Christmas, got no baking done, which I just had to live with. Did do a lot of cooking good meals which was fine, and didn't feel overwhelming. The baking would have been given away so it just depends on my schedule right before the holidays whether I can do it or not. DH gets ALOT of sweets from his students so we had plenty to enjoy ourselves.
Gifts: Prett happy-so glad I had started a Christmas fund at the bank, because it is always a lot more than I think it will all cost. One thing that would help is I have favorite nieces and nephews I always give gift cards or cash to-it would be so much easier to get them through the year than trying to get that done in the middle of everything else. ALSO DH always needs some little gifts for someone not on my radar-choir members, CW, etc..-find out before he just announces he needs something 'tomorrow"
Wrapping-did a tiny bit better than last year-but not much! Really need to do that as I get the gifts
Misc: REALLY do more cleaning early-REALLY try to follow one of the cleaning plans-my annual resolution-LOL
So interested in seeing everyone else's list-I learn so much from y'all.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I need to remember that I'm not as young as I used to be when I did all the things I'm too tired to do now. :) Seriously, I didn't bake any goodies - DH had compassion and bought 2 tins of cookies, which we love. I will bake earlier and freeze. I cooked all day Christmas - I couldn't prepare much ahead because the fridge was full of ham & turkey waiting to be baked. I need to figure out gifts that don't weigh so much so shipping charges aren't as high as the cost of the gifts. Other than the few little irritations, DH and I agree that Christmas was wonderful! Time spent with loved ones, phone calls from family far away, delicious food - I wouldn't change those for anything!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is my list so far!

While freezer cooking is great – untested recipes were not so great – had more than one “failure” that DH wouldn’t eat.

Do NOT plan to bake cookies in bulk on a weeknight! That was brutal!

Make sure I have both pre-made bows and wired ribbon for decorating presents – nothing but wired ribbon got to be too much work!

Arrange a better way to play Christmas music in wrapping area so that I can enjoy sessions more next year! Make it cozy!

Wrap more – earlier – especially the little things like stocking stuffers!

Remember need to hide wrapping supplies for gifts from Santa! And that DH wants all gifts from us to be from Santa for now!

Try to make sure DH gets his wrapping done before Christmas Eve!!!

When it comes to Wrapping Party, talk to the girls next fall, find out if they even want to try and do again and if it would be better if we had it on a night closer to Christmas when they’ve done more shopping? But if they all wait to the absolute last minute to do their shopping it won’t really matter and this event may have outlived itself…

There was a lot of confusion over text on which party was which – dinner party vs. wrapping party; If having both consider sending paper invitations for the wrapping event vs. the dinner event.

Large desserts did not go over well this year, being hardly eaten or not at all. Cookies did well, so consider cookie trays, fudge, mini dessert ideas for parties for next year…maybe those mini cheesecakes would have been good after all?

DS was the most excited about his stocking! Kept running back to get things out of it!

Reduce number of Christmas cards sent out to those who send them back!

Ran out of appetizers in freezer before New Years Eve – consider more of those types of things in freezer vs. so many meals? Or plan better to use up freezer meals by about end of holiday season so we don’t have a ton left when we are trying to start eating healthier.

Start craft projects earlier – plan to finish by about time fall décor goes up.

And that's all I can think of so far!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I had a less stressful time of it on Christmas Eve because I was off days before the event. It made life so much easier in that respect because I was less rushed. That probably won't happen again for a few years.

Due to events beyond my control and illness, I was not able to get my shopping for dh done before the week of Christmas. That led to some things not being available and scrambling to purchase what I wanted. It all worked out, but caused some stress along the way. So I need to shop earlier.

I made lots of cookies, but have had only my parents visit so far, so there are lots of cookies left, even after gifting/sharing them. I may cut back even more next year.

Probably make a smaller lasagna for Christmas Eve. Half of it is still in the fridge, uneaten.

Need to stock up on lunch foods for the kiddos on vacation.

That's all I can think of for now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I need to transfer what has been written here into my planner. I know that I will forget this thread when the time comes.
I have written a Christmas card list in my planner, just need to write other tips in.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
While DH and myself agreed that this year went smoothly and was calm and cozy, there are a few things I am going to tweak for next year.

Freezer meals - I experimented this year with freezer meals and unfortunately my DH and DD did not care for most of them. They are picky eaters and I should have known. Next year I might stick to the tried and true soups and chili that they like and experiment with crock pot meals.

Prayer - Sad, but we did not pray much on CHRISTmas day. We prayed before the meal, but that is it. I want to pray before we dive into the gifts.

Breakfast - I want to have a prepared casserole ready for Christmas morning. Maybe a french toast casserole.

Love learning from you gals as well.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
This year's events were nothing I could anticipate so all I can say is I hope I am gainfully employed next year!

Next year we will have to travel to TX for nephew's wedding the week before Christmas so already in my extended family we've decided that being together is gift enough.

My ham dinner on Christmas day was not what I wanted but it was so delicious I might have to plan for that again next year. DH froze the bone and leftovers for me to make pea soup.

Still wishing I had lasagna on Christmas Eve! I might have to do an 8x8 pan just to have it for me next year, and DS should be back too.

Christmas Eve day was fun, I had music playing all day, DD was over wrapping, and I prepped food and drink most of the day. Need to shower earlier in the day before guests drop by!!

I was cooking all month long, and I liked all the food we had.

I only made the cookies I wanted to. I could probably downsize these too, as I certainly don't need to be the only one eating them.

No matter what, even if I am totally broke, I will find a way to give my family members each a token gift. I could care less if I get any gifts but it makes me so happy to give. I had fun wrapping even on Christmas Eve day.

I also only sent cards to those I received (plus a few more), and I noticed we didn't get a few cards from friends that we usually do. Hmmm, maybe they are doing the same thing.

I will be happier if the temps are not 85+ degrees and I'm not having hot flashes. Hopefully that will be over next year!

So in closing, a lot of things were out of my control, but we still managed to have a good Christmas.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Christmas was a total disaster and I spent both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day literally in tears. No matter how hard we try or how well we think we are prepared there are simply some things that are out of our control like:
1) Becoming instant caregiver to father in law with cancer.
2) Suddenly going from empty nester to a home of 7 when my oldest son sold his house and the one he was buying fell through so his family moved here.
3) Being stuck away from home in an ICU room for weeks at a time with FIL
4) Having a son's wedding here in the middle of all this.
5) Having to remove and replace the east and south walls of our home due to a termite infestation while adding on to accommodate father in law
6) I was in bed with stomach virus during Thanksgiving and DH spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day vomiting. I caught whatever he had and today is the first day I feel human.
7) Last but not least, like SugarPlum, nothing feels like Christmas at 85º.

Needless to say my home has been turned upside down and inside out since July. For the first time in my entire life we had no decorations up. NONE! That alone broke my heart but when you cram 3 families into one horribly damaged home there is barely room to breathe let alone a tree.

The family gathered but last year we canceled the gift exchange because of one family member who made it miserable for not only who they picked but whomever had to buy for that person. It was no longer enjoyable and I was tired of all the post gift exchange fussing. We only bought for the children. While it's always enjoyable watching the little ones I still missed seeing the adults with their surprises as well. You are never to old for a gift from the heart. This year I think I will make Christmas boxes for everyone. There are 12 of us in my immediate family. Starting with the youngest in January I want every family to bring a gift for that person. Next is the second to youngest in February...... It will be a family effort to fill each box throughout the year for the recipient. I will have a talk to the difficult family member in the next few weeks to address the "issue". I may revise tradition but I'm not giving up my families traditions over someone who has never had them.

I am so grateful that I had purchased the grandchildren's presents last January because that was my only saving grace this Christmas. I was also thankful that with the help of MHH I had several meals prepared and in the freezer during these past six months of chaos.

We have no idea what this year will bring but I vowed I would never spend another Christmas like 2015 and will do everything I can to be prepared for whatever life brings our way.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Ellen-So sorry to hear about your father-in-law! I know how much you treasure him. Your idea for the family box gifts sounds neat!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Ellen, so sorry to hear about your Christmas and all the turmoil.
Love your idea of the Christmas boxes. Especially since there are 12 of you!

Jinglewhale

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
I haven't been on in many moons! Going through my password book to check which links are still active. Up to M's Glad to see this is still active and I recognize several names. 2016-cards I only did a swap with my Yahoo Christmas group. Other than those only received 4 cards from family with new pictures. Yes it is dying I am afraid.
Stockings- we mainly do for my grandson but had a few items for all others. Thinking we will reevaluate this year.
Food: did well. Just right.
Family: that's another story. But glad to spend it with my 86 year old mother. We spent the day preparing for the blizzard that his Texas the next day so it was quick and over.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Good to see you Jinglewhale! :)

Ellen - Oh, honey! I just want to hug you and make you some tea!!!!! That is just beyond intense!!! When it rains, it pours - or in your case it sounds more like Niagra Falls! Sending loving thoughts and support your way!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Ellen: OMG-that is almost too much to bear...I think since you are already thinking about next Christmas-and those boxes are an awesome idea by the way-just shows what a strong optimistic person you are...2016 will be better!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
JingleWhale - it's nice that you enjoyed Christmas with your mom. Next year, join the MHH card exchange - it is a lot of fun.

Ellen - I don't even know what to say. I think my head would explode if I were you. I hope next year is a better one for you and your family.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Overall, I was pleased with how things went. The weekend at the cabin is always great, but I cut back the food this year, and it was much more manageable. I made most of it ahead and only had to heat it. There were too many "goodies" though, and I threw away an entire cake! So, either fewer goodies and a cake or no cake and same goodies. Only make 2 makings of Chex mix. Made 3...still have some left. DH dipped a lot of things. He thought they would really go for the peppermint flavored dipped stuff, but not so much. DH's niece and I did talk about doing a progressive dinner one night, moving from cabin to cabin, eating a course at each. We'll have to talk to the others about that. She said her mom spent most of her time cooking...don't want her that have to do that. We rent 3 cabins. DH's brother's family eats at theirs (about 16 people). Our family eats at ours (9 people). We want to rent a lodge instead of a cabin next year...need to check on that.

Only my family ended up going to my mom's for lunch on Christmas. Neither of my sisters were at my mom's that day. One was sick and the "Texas" one always has some excuse to not come home at Christmas (or any other time she says she's coming). One niece didn't come and the other didn't come until late in the evening and didn't leave my mom's until after 6. So, my mom had all of that to clean up alone because I had to come home to get ready for my family to come for gift opening and Christmas supper. I'm not sure if we'll continue to do it on Christmas night or not. It seems like too much in one day to me, but my family thinks it's fine. I just hate to leave it all for Mama to take care of after lunch because she wants to wait and see if anyone else is coming or not.

I ran out of wrapping stuff and had to buy - at full price - stuff to finish out! But, I have taken care of that already. I need to not wait until December to buy tape, though. I need to buy it earlier and put it up. I laid everything out on the bed and took a picture with my phone so I can remember what I have.

I bought several tins from Hobby Lobby before Christmas to put the goodies in. I need to remember that they put stuff on sale the week before Christmas at 50-66% off.

Stockings...I have to work on stockings. I didn't do a very good job with them this year. I also need to make DDIL a new stocking. By the time I thought about it, all the Christmas fabric was gone, so I need to do that early next year.

I NEED TO STICK TO MY BUDGET!!!!!! DH and I both love to buy at Christmas, but enough is enough! Even though I saved to buy, we still went over budget.

Christmas felt good this year. Calm. Relaxed. We enjoyed family and being together. Even though it was hot compared to our normal weather, it was a little nice to not have to bundle up every time we walked out the door nor while we were shopping.

Well, that's a book and I may think of some more. All in all, things went well.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Ellen, bless your heart, girl. You have been through some mess. Prayers that DS and his family will find another house and things will be better next year. I'm sorry to hear about what your DFIL is going through. Prayers as he goes through this and for you, DH, and your family.