Menus March 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Potato Soup

I received this recipe from Karen Lemke who I was lucky enough to meet when I lived in Minot, ND in 1976.

4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper31/2 cups water

Boil the above until tender. Drain but keep 3 cups of the water for the sauce.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter and stir in 1 tablespoon of flour. Let brown a little. Then add the 3 cups of water and whisk smooth. Heat and add in the potatoes.

No milk or cream needed with this recipe. I have added cooked carrots and/or corn. Almost any leftover meat could be add or leftover cooked veggies.

This feeds the three of us.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Diedra, that soup is fabulous. I have all of the ingredients without having to dip into my stash. Thank you so much.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Made the potato soup tonight. I only had 3 med potatoes so I added three sliced carrots. I had just enough to freeze for one lunch if we add come bread or a good dessert to fill it out.

Tonight it will not let me load the photos. Says they are too big. Probably the potatoes weight too much.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
For any that have milk they are trying to use up - I posted a Baked Potato Soup recipe to one of our recipe threads, just scroll down, should be last one posted:

http://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/threads/main-dish-recipes.6864/page-2

Will be saving your recipe too, Diedra! I've been trying to think of something to use a package of sausage tortellini I've got in the freezer. I think this soup would be perfect!

I will keep an eye out for that frozen dough at Aldi, teachermomof2!

I've been trying to keep switching it up for breakfast - not making eggs EVERY day.

We've been finishing up leftovers and random leftovers that were in freezer - making salads - last night we made a Jack's frozen pizza.

I've finally taken a moment and sketched out a meal plan for the week. Which is NOT like me. It's just been so crazy. Now I just have to make what I've planned :)

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AuntJamelle ~ I've been making weekly menu plans for a short while, which I've never really done before. I find that I really like doing it that way. It makes me try new recipes, too. This week's plan (although flexible):

March 29 - April 4
  • Sunday ~ Hamburger patties with caramelized onion
  • Monday ~ BBQ whole chicken
  • Tuesday ~ Chili from freezer
  • Wednesday ~ Pork chops; salad
  • Thursday ~ *Almond Butter Thai Salad; leftover chicken
  • Friday ~ TBD – seafood or leftover ham and bean soup from freezer?
  • Saturday ~ Chicken stir fry with onions, cabbage, other vegies
*New recipe

Reactions: AuntJamelle

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I went through and made a list of all the meals that we can make with what we have and will be pulling from that. I'm sure there are more options that i'm not thinking of as well so i'll keep thinking on it.

March 29- April 4th
Sunday- Grilled Chicken with augratin potatoes
Monday- Macaroni and Hotdogs
Tuesday- Potato Soup with grilled cheese

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Fixed a steak on the grill then topped it with cheese and green chiles. Served with stir fried broccoli, cauliflower and onions. DD had her famous steaks, aka Hot dogs.

Not doing well on making up a menu. But Taxes are done so hopefully I'll get back on track.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Ended up making Pasta Bake for dinner last night...very simple comfort food!

Tuesday - Tilapia + Green Beans + Cottage Cheese
Wednesday - Broccoli Cheese Soup + Pillsbury Crescents
Thursday - Tacos
Friday - Texas Trash + Chips and Pigs in a Blanket
Saturday - TBD
Sunday - Jack's Pizza and Homemade Cheesy Bread + Homemade Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce