Monday March 23, 2020

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lana, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Good Morning!

2. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Like Jess, I wouldn't be surprised if school wasn't cancelled for this year. One lady said it would be a good time to start school year round if they so wish to do that.

I will go to work and home.

Packed my lunch last night for dinner.

Still have a couple lambs in the laundry room but if weather warms alittle and stays they will move to the barn.

Had my radio on the Christmas music that they put back on. Not sure if it was the week-end or for how long. I enjoyed it the couple days to work and back.

I need to go iron my shirt.

Have a GREAT day everybody!

3. FrostyShimmer

FrostyShimmer Well-Known Member

Morning all!

First day of homeschooling here. Girls are doing well but I'm learning they can't all work together at the same table anymore or they just chat. I'd planned on being healthier and exercising today but my DVD player wouldn't work - guess it's a sign I am just not meant to exercise :p At least I'll tell myself that for today.

DD3 is enjoying feeling like a big girl doing her school too, even if it is just colouring.

Waiting for an update to hear how many cases here. They've closed the beaches - that's the hardest one to take. We loved going for walks on the beach, and the ones in our area were always abandoned. I understand the need because the ones in the city were packed, but it was hard to tell the girls we couldn't do that anymore.

Have a good day everyone - stay healthy :)

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  4. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Good morning, everyone.

I went to work for a full 40 minutes this morning. Dr. R is, in fact, closing the memory portion of the office for the next two weeks, and we'll see going forward from there. A nurse who works in the office thinks she may have COVID19. She was coming in at 9:00 to be tested (I was gone before then). That means everyone who works in our office has been exposed. One good thing about my office is it's located where I don't encounter patients, nurses, or doctors unless they come to my office for something, but I do have to walk down the hall that patients enter and exit from a lot. I'll monitor myself for symptoms.

A lot of businesses here are not letting in customers. It's service through the door or window...farm supply and hardware stores. I think that's good...limits people's exposure. I'm thankful to have the next two weeks off, but sorry for the circumstances that made it happen.

We'll be working at the house. I'm thankful we got all the supplies we needed before all this started happening. Hopefully, we will get everything done and at least some of the stuff moved over before I return to work.

DH and I have talked about how things will be after all this. We bet the restaurants will be overrun when they open back up from people not being able to go out and eat. I bet we have a baby boom afterwards...you think they'll call them the Covid19 baby generation?

Lana, I'm pretty sure our schools will not resume this year. Be sure to wash your hands often!
    FS, I'm sure the two older girls are very relieved that you're home schooling again. Hopefully, you can find somewhere new for walks.

Have a great day, everyone!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  5. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

We got about 3” of snow last night. It the kind that stickers to the bushes and tree limbs. I appreciate the change of scenery from my window.

Today I am making some paper flowers to put in my window. (An idea Carrie Oates on FB.) Suggested it on our neighborhood FB page.

I am thinking about pulling out a puzzle too.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  6. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Good morning, my Peeps.

Another boring Monday. I woke up around 4:20 a.m., and catnapped until a while ago. I feel exhausted. Have not slept well in over a week. Ugh! I am just tired, so tired!

I really will try to get something done around here. I made a list yesterday of chores and craft things to do. The weather is not cooperating ...not one little bit. I am taking a little more Vit.D. Lord, I need a vacation so badly! Somewhere warm and sunny. And free! Lol

I need to eat, and then brush teeth and take meds. Right now, at least I am dressed. So I had better get busy, I guess. I don't know what is going to happen with the C-19. I think I am more concerned than I realize. Or want to admit. Esp. since I am considered elderly! That cracks me up. And high risk because I am diabetic. But I am trusting in the Lord and our President. Have you noticed how tired he looks? He has the weight of the world on his shoulders right now. I don't like everything he says and does, but he sure loves our country, and has been doing what he promised to do. Pray for him and our leaders. Pray that this virus will be gone really soon.

Lana, hope work is going well.
    FS, glad the girls like you homeschooling them.
    Jane, glad that you have time to work on the house, but sorry for the reason.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. And stay safe and be blessed.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  7. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Hi, Jody. We were posting at the same time. I have never tried the paper flowers. A dear friend makes them, and they are so pretty. Don't know if I have the patience right now. Will you post a picture?

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  8. housewife2

housewife2 Well-Known Member

good afternoon to all. rain and chilly out.been watching a lot of tv since im home. anyone catch the series all american? i watched the first 2 seasons . season 3 hasnt come out yet. stay well and safe

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  9. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

I feel better today than yesterday so i'm definitely on the mend. Didn't sleep great though. We are to be very windy for the next several days. Maintenance is supposed to come look at our roof this morning to find the area that was leaking. I wonder if they still will with the wind, guess we'll find out. I need to go mess with the printer and see if I can fix the double printing issue. I would like to print some things for this mornings homeschooling but the printer has been printing like double vision lately. I also need more printer paper so that is on my agenda for today via drive up order through Target. If I can't get it fixed then I will be creating my own worksheets from pictures onto notebook paper. haha Have to be innovative and work with what we have. Not sure if we'll be able to go on our walk this morning, looks like it might be rainy outside. I've decided that i'm going to put on classical music while we work. Stimulate the mind.

I received a link in my account this morning to reschedule my test tomorrow, but nothing for my test next week. One down, one to go. I called again and left another message for my other test next week so will wait and see what happens. I rescheduled for May 1st as that was the latest date they had. Definitely a weight off my shoulders right now, just need to get the link to reschedule the other one. I could reschedule it now and pay the fee but I shouldn't have to.

One more thing to share: One of DD's teachers from her old school here sent out a very nice email to her old parents/students and included a resource page to use during this time for schooling and even offered to create a separate Google Classroom for her former students to help them continue learning right now. I thought that was so sweet and selfless when she has her own group of students to work with that she would worry about and offer to work with her former students no matter where they are in all of this. Made my heart swell. She was a great teacher.

Lana- I hadn't thought about that. I follow a lady on Instagram that moved to an area that had year round school and her son is doing it this year in Kinder. After doing it for quite some time, they decided that they didn't like it. He has 3 weeks off after going to school every few months or something, so if you both work you have to figure out childcare for that time and it can be difficult. I don't think I would like it. I prefer to have the summers completely off I think. Of course, who knows because i've never tried it. Some people really love it.
    FS- We're starting our homeschool days with a walk around the neighborhood for exercise. Is that a possibility? Have you heard of Cosmic Yoga? You can find it on YouTube and the kids might love it. There are different themes and the lady is very exuberant and fun. Might be something you can do together to get some exercise and get the wiggles out before homeschooling. I was going to do it but my kids are too old to get into it now. It's also FREE!
    Jane- As much as it stinks to not be working right now, i'm glad he is closing. At least you'll be safe, hopefully. I bet you're right on all fronts about the restaurants and babies!
    Jody- How beautiful to see out the window! I might add something like that to our arts and crafts time this week!
    Pam- Maybe make a schedule for yourself. Set your alarm clock to wake up at the same time everyday, get up and dressed and ready for the day and then start in on whatever it is you have planned to do around your apartment for that day whether it be chores, organizing, decluttering or crafting. That way it will help you feel more accomplished and less depressed, like you are getting things done. The more you sleep, the more tired you are going to be. Turn on lights and happy music. You have to change your environment and find the joy in the darkness right now. We all do. Love to you my friend! I am going to take my own advice too!
    Faye- I haven't heard of that series, will look it up. How are your grandkids holding up right now? I'm sure they miss their grandma and you them. Hang in there!

Enjoy your day, find the joy where you are, and stay safe!

Ahorsesoul and Pam Spaur like this.
  10. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Greetings from cold and rainy western PA!

It's pouring down rain. Snowflakes were flying earlier this morning, but nothing accumulated. Traffic is minimal today since non-essential businesses have closed. I did my planner, made my daily notes about the virus....first confirmed case in our county today. :(

H has been working on classes and had a meeting with his advisor via zoom regarding his classes for next semester. M has online dance classes this evening. I'm not sure how that is going to work. Time will tell....guess that's how they'll keep charging us for classes, huh? J is at work.

Looks like my take out lunch has arrived....keeping the economy going one burger at a time. ;0)

Have a blessed day!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  11. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Hello all! Do I even need to say "sunny and warm"?

Figured we would make our weekly trip to the commissary. Still many empty shelves that obviously have never been restocked. Chicken was available but we were limited to one pkg. Got some veggies - found early corn! Love corn!

After everything is put away I plan to finish my book and maybe start a puzzle to go off and on with my knitting.

FS - home schooling seems to be going well and I bet the girls are thrilled
    Jess - glad you are finally feeling better
    Pam - a schedule is a great idea!
    Lisa - we try and keep the economy going too - sandwiches at WaWa:)
    Jane - you are accomplishing so much
    Jody - snow is so pretty when it is fresh
    Faye - a good day to stay inside
    Lana - glad you can keep working

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  12. MrsSoup

I ran to Target to get printer paper and the line was wrapped around the building to get inside. I parked on top and walked to the stairwell and there was an older guy that had parked before me and he was standing there. We struck up a conversation (minding social distancing) and were trying to figure out what was going on. I had not seen it like that as of yet. It didn't seem like they were limiting the amount of people that could go in as the line was moving steadily, but a security guy was in control of the flow. There were already people exiting with purchases so they must have opened early because we arrived at 8 a.m. on the dot when they typically open. Weird. After standing there for a bit, I decided to leave as there were way too many people not practicing social distancing and all I needed was printer paper. I walked back to my car and there was a woman standing by her SUV smoking and she asked me about the line. We started talking and I said something about printer paper an she thought I said toilet paper. I corrected her and she said, "I have, I have". Then she walked around her SUV and came back with a package of printer paper. I wanted to pay her for the paper, but she refused and said it's for the kids. I was so touched by her generosity and told her I would absolutely pay it forward. What an angel in these times and a blessing.

We are getting ready to start our homeschool day. I made the kids get dressed. haha I asked DH to stop by the PX where he works (it's smaller) and see if they have paper so we have extra since we're going to be doing this for quite a while. We have an extra ink cartridge. A friend shared a post from a teacher that shared packets for grades K-8 so I downloaded the ones that pertained to us and then shared the post as well. The one for Eli's grade looks like it will be super helpful.

Better go get our homeschool day started!

luludou and Ahorsesoul like this.
  13. girlsinmo

girlsinmo Well-Known Member

Good day everyone. I am thankful to read updates from y'all and know for the most part everyone is ok. My DH is using up a sick day today. No he's not sick but he earned the days so want to use them before retirement. Y'all I am reading a book that is so much like what's going on in our world..Posted about it on reading thread.

Stay safe everyone.. May we grow stronger as we follow the restrictions that are for our best interest right now.. Take care..

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  14. MrsSoup

Afternoon!

Our first day of homeschooling went well. We got through everything I had planned and the kids were great. I have the rest of the week loosely planned out so need to finalize that later. We are going to read for 30 minutes shortly and then call it a day. I think i'll make orange muffins later to use up some oranges that are getting thrown out tomorrow. My friend is not doing so great today, she is struggling with her kids. I am sending her resources as I can but really all i'm doing is googling myself and finding things there and on Pinterest. I've found some good stuff though. Her oldest is DD's age and her middle is a year younger than Eli.

We got an automated call from DD's school that the teachers should have work to email or in their google classroom by Monday, just a week late. I feel like they should have been working on this last week but whatever, better late than never. I ordered Eli's birthday gift this morning, hopefully it arrives on time. Maintenance sealed a bunch of places on our roof so hopefully it won't leak again. They didn't bother checking the inside for mold or anything so I hope we don't have any issues.

Ahorsesoul and luludou like this.
  15. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Jess, you are doing great with starting homeschooling right off!

we are confined to our houses for the next 3 weeks. dh will be off work starting tomorrow night. I think I'll work in the office with the door locked when he'll be here, he will drive me nuts... he will have a hard time staying put!

Mopped the floors and washed and reorganized pantry. tried to set up printer once again, just won't work. doesn't matter .

tried to pick up some references to make journal about the pandemia.

Ftimed with ds and xavier :) :)

that's it for today, will go work on my puzzle.

Night

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  16. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

The VA called to reschedule dh's tomorrow's appointment - it is now scheduled for April 28. It works for me, but he really, really needs that cpap.

When our kids were young we had a little area blocked off in the basement for baby lambs and baby goats, and we bottle fed them. They were so adorable...and well loved.

The dgkids have gotten along really well today. Their teachers posted assignments throughout the day, so they had free time between classes. We have a home gym (treadmill, spin bike, kick bag, pull-up bar, and bowflex), so they get their exercise. It was too gray & drippy to get any sun. Art time was drawing & diamond painting. Their online school will officially start next year, so this is a good transition for them.

Today is laundry day for me. I think I have 2 loads left to do. I'm glad to be home all day to get it done. It's time to relax and crochet.

Have a good evening.

MrsSoup and Ahorsesoul like this.
  17. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Laundry day for me too. I was done early since I washed towels yesterday. I helped DD do her towels and bedding after giving her a shower. She is working on her plastic canvas craft. She is half down with a 3D fishbowl. She is excited.

So far it's a go for the new car to be delivered tomorrow. I have to think of something to cook if the guy needs something to eat. Or maybe make him a sandwich to go or a snack back of different snacks. Bag of chips, can of coke, a napkin (not parting with a lot of my paper products, lol), some beef jerky and a candy bar and a bag of cookies.

Last night one of the dogs must have been dreaming making a little woof about 2:30am. It woke me so I figured I hit up the bathroom. At first I thought the furnace was making a lot of noise but I noticed it was running. It really sounded like a lot of water running in the basement. When I checked the basement stairs I could hear it too. Figured this was a situation for Dh so woke him. Turned out the water softener was doing it's nightly cleaning mode and the drain was twisted. Nice to know it wasn't a broken water pipe.

The new LC has turned in her application and we have it mailed now. Now the wait to see how long it takes to process with people not at work all the time. I talked on the phone with her this morning telling her some stories about DD so she can decide if it sounds like a job she wants to try.

I forgot to have dh mail the report I was working on. I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.

I didn't have a bear to put in the window for the kids to see when they walks this week. I did order four sets of window stickers for the next coming weeks in the subjects they said they will be doing. Not a lot of walkers but a few. We can post the address on a FB page our town has so people can also drive by. Have been thinking of putting up the Christmas tree with just lights.

45th parallel distillery is over by our old house. They made and give out over 500 gallons of hand sanitizer today. The cars were lined up for blocks to drive by for some. They will do it again. It is interesting to see how the communities pull together. It's something new for us and the younger generations. The only problem I remember was when the power grid went out in the 1960s. But I was a kid so it was just fun for me.

Wash your hands again please.

18. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone.

DN#1 has come to stay with us for the next two weeks...maybe longer. She lives with my mom, and my oldest sister from Texas is home right now and staying with Mama. DN#1 works at the clinic with me, so as a precaution, she's here.

I finished taking the quarter round molding up in all the rooms we're going to put flooring in. We're about 1/2 finished with the master bedroom. We'll do the living/dining are next. It doesn't seem like we bought enough flooring, but for the square feet we have, it is what was recommended to buy. After that, we'll the guest bedroom. Then, we'll do the third bedroom, which I'll probably use as a craft/sewing room. I spent a lot of time on the phone today with Mama, my middle sister, and my children.

Jody, hard to imagine snow. We're running the air conditioner here.
    Pam, I agree with Jess that having a schedule would help perhaps. I'm going to stick my nose in where it may not belong, but if John works with the public, you may want to be careful about spending time with him. If he's exposed, then you are, too....just want you to be safe...cause I love you!
    Faye, I bet it's a big adjustment to suddenly not be working. My mom, who's 85 still works in the public court system. She is about to go crazy being home every day.
    Jess, in the teachers' defense, it may have taken that week to put together things to put up for the students to do. You're to be commended for taking the time to work with your kids. A lot of parents are going to do that, and the students and teachers will suffer the consequences of it later. That's crazy about the line at Target.
    Lisa, how did M's online dance class go? I'm sure recital season is out for this year???
    Debbie, our governor is asking that if people must grocery shop, they do it on a weekly basis. I haven't been to the store since Sunday of last week, but I've heard that people are still cleaning the shelves here.
    Tricia, stay safe. Glad DH had a day off.
    Lucie, the staying at home is hard for a lot of people. I think it will be hardest for people who don't have hobbies or interests.
    GrammaDeb, it's a good trial run for the kids!! I wouldn't want to sit in the VA hospital all day at this time.
    Diedra, nice to know it wasn't a water leak. Nice that people are trying to help entertain kids while they're out of school. I did tell my Mama today that she can go for a drive...to just not get out and visit with people.

It will be nice to wake up and not have to go to work tomorrow. I plan to try to go for a walk every day while I'm off.

Night, everyone! Hope you rest well.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  19. MrsSoup

Jane- I meant next Monday, not today for the teachers to get work to the middle schoolers. Last week was spring break, not that they didn't earn it by any means. So they are taking this week to get things together but the kids are now missing an entire week that should have already been planned out really so all they should have had to do today was email the work to be completed for this week or even a day or two at a time. But I guess not. Good idea to have your niece there with you if you both were exposed. I agree about John too since he works out with the public.
    Diedra- I hope the LC works out! I saw that on FB just a bit ago about the bears. I don't think our neighborhood is doing anything like that but who knows. We don't even have sidewalk chalk to do the sidewalk. We might make paper flowers tomorrow for arts and crafts time to hang in the front window for something happy to look at anyway.
    Deb- Sorry about the appointment.
    Lucie- You can go out for essentials right?

I have been working on my task and am almost done so am stopping for the day. I'll pick back up tomorrow and get it finished up. DD helped me make orange muffins, i'm the only one that will eat them though but they sure are good!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  20. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Checking in before I go to bed. It's been a day and a half, believe me, teleworking is not what it's cracked up to be. I was busy ALL day, had a few connectivity issues but got those resolved, a mountain of emails and then some timekeeping and travel catch up. Dialed in to the division managers conference call this afternoon, my co-workers were happy to hear my voice, asked how I was doing. I told them I was still in my pajamas and to not think badly of me for it! I also said it's good it was not a video call and they all burst out laughing. I ended up working until after 6pm and then called it a day. Took a quick shower (yes, don't judge, pajamas until 6pm!, got to break this habit right now), brought in my trash can from the curb and fixed dinner to enjoy with a couple of episodes of Ozark. Haven't heard from Vic, must mean he had a lunchtime briefing. Talked to Sophia, she still needs to redo a portion of her assessment. If you have to do the EDTPA, Jess, it's quite comprehensive. Her boutique job is over but she's hoping to pick up nannying again. The couple she nannys for work in the legal system and their offices are closed this week, not sure when they will reopen but they will need her for the kids since they are out of school.

Nighty night, everyone.

Ahorsesoul likes this.