Need insight from quilters

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I have never quilted before, though I have sewn a little.
I'd like to make 5 or 6 double sided table runner sets as gifts for Christmas. I'm thinking of doing Winter/Valentines, St. Pat's/Easter, Spring/Patriotic, Fall/Christmas or a similar combination.
Terry's Village has some that are double sided and all one fabric, but I thought I'd like to do at least some of them quilted/patchwork to mix it up a little.
Trouble is, ALL the quilted patterns I've seen look so difficult!! I'm not as precise as I should be, so I'm really afraid I'll make a mess of anything complicated.
Do you have any tips for me on what would be a really easy beginning quilting pattern?

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for the encouragement, DebbiGall! I'm thinking of starting out with a 'nine-patch' block table runner, if that's what it's called. It looks easy enough, I guess (can you feel the trembling in my typing?). Maybe I'll start out with a couple of nine patch pot holders, and work up to the runner!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
My local fabric store offers classes in reversible table runners. Check your fabric/craft store to see if they offer anything. They usually pick something pretty easy, and I think the instruction and support would be great for a beginner! There's a lot of information on the internet about quilting technique. If you press seams in the opposite direction it helps to "lock" the seams that you want to match up. This is a very helpful technique. I also think you would be wise to get a "walking foot" which will help the top fabric keep from pushing forward as you sew. You'd love it for lots of other sewing, too. Good luck!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
THANKS, DahliaDoll -- it never occurred to me to check with a local fabric shop for classes. I'll make some calls on Monday and see what I can find out. At the very least, I can get my name on a mailing list. I am excited about trying to quilt: learning a new skill and making presents at the same time. What could be better? :love:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Okay, DahliaDoll, I did it! I signed up for a quilting class! It'll be this coming Saturday, and it's a class on how to make a 'quilt as you go' Valentine table runner! I'm really excited about it. I missed their Beginning Quilting class in January, but they said they'll offer another one this spring. Thanks for the great advice to look for a class!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I've always wanted to take a quilting class but the ones I find around here are during the day and of course never on my day off. (every other Thursday) When I got my sewing machine (Rose) 9 or 10 yrs ago I took a couple of sewing classes but the kids were in sports then so.......... didn't get to all of them.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Holiday Joy said:
Okay, DahliaDoll, I did it! I signed up for a quilting class! It'll be this coming Saturday, and it's a class on how to make a 'quilt as you go' Valentine table runner! I'm really excited about it. I missed their Beginning Quilting class in January, but they said they'll offer another one this spring. Thanks for the great advice to look for a class!

Hope you have a terriffic time! Report back!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Reporting back:
I finished my first ever quilting project today!! I took the quilt as you go table runner class, and I'm so proud of myself (blushing!). My kids are more impressed than I am! I'm definitely signing up for more classes.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Holiday Joy said:
Reporting back:
I finished my first ever quilting project today!! I took the quilt as you go table runner class, and I'm so proud of myself (blushing!). My kids are more impressed than I am! I'm definitely signing up for more classes.

CONGRATULATIONS! :applause:
Can you post a picture for us to see?

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
I'd love to see a picture too.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll do it. Maybe DS14 can talk me through it ;-) I really am tickled with myself for finishing this project! DD8 brought her friend in and took her right to the table to show off what "Mommy made in just one day!". Giggle.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Holiday Joy said:
DD8 brought her friend in and took her right to the table to show off what "Mommy made in just one day!"
Now there's a real compliment! Can't wait to see it!