Photo Pillows

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jmgconner

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
I can't wait to get my hands on some old photographs of my Dear Mother and Mother-in-Law so that I can make these photo pillows from two straight lines.

Does anyone know copyright laws on artwork? Could I use a JPG image of some of my favorite paintings, print them off, and put them a pillow? I think I could as long as it's for personal use only and not something I would re-sell, right? A Joan Miro print on a tall skinny pillow could provide a special touch for my modern-art-loving DS's room. Or what about a Maurice Sendak Where the Wild Things Are or Dr. Suess Cat in the Hat pillow for the little ones? Pair the pillow with the book and it would make a great gift!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've been wanting to make photo pillow cases for my DH and the kids since he's gone. But I have no clue how to do it. Anyone know how?

jmgconner

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
Oops - sorry, I'm such a patternless, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants-crafter sometimes, that I didn't even think about directions.

1. Decide how big you would like your pillow to be. If your using stuffing, it can be any size. If you decide to use a pillow form, measure the form.

2. Add 1/2 inch seam allowance to each side of your measurement.

3. Scan your photograph to have a digital version.

4. Print your image at the desired size onto printable fabric (available at craft stores). Usually, this fabric is mounted on paper. You print on the fabric and then pull the paper off the back. If you didn't have a scanner, you could probably take the printable fabric and photograph to your local copy shop and they could do it for you. Also, make sure you leave at least 1/2 inch on either side for seam allowances.

4. Sew your printable fabric onto your coordinating fabric so that you've made the 'front' of your pillow.

5. Trim the 'front' of your pillow down to the desired size, plus seam allowances.

6. Cut the fabric for the back of your pillow to the desired size, plus seam allowances.

7. Putting the 'right' sides of the front and back together, sew a 1/2 inch seam almost all the way around. Leave an opening so that you can turn your pillow right side out and insert pillow form or stuffing. Hand stitch the opening closed. Voila!

-------------

And for those that would like exact sizes, here's what I would do using a 10" x 18" pillow form.

From the coordinating fabric, cut:
- 5" x 11" rectangle
- 3" x 11" rectangle
- 11" x 19" rectangle

Print your image so that it fits neatly in a 4" x 10" area. Pick an image that will work well for long and skinny pillow. Trim the fabric paper to 5" x 11".

Sew the 3" x 11" rectangle onto the bottom of your 5" x 11" printable fabric using a 1/2" seam allowance.

Sew the 5" x 11" rectangle onto the top of your 5" x 11" printable fabric using a 1/2" seam allowance.

Putting right sides together, sew the 11" x 19" rectangle onto the large piece you just made above - leaving room for turning right side out. Fill and hand stitch the opening closed.

-----------

Is that clear as mud? LOL! If someone else has a simpler or easier way of describing how to sew a pillow, feel free to post your directions!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks! I didn't know about the fabric for the pictures. I'll look it up!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Thank you so much!! I'll have to look for the fabric the next time I go to the city. Do you know if Walmart has it?

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh, this is such a great idea! I'd love to make some throw pillows for my sisters using some cute family photos. Thanks for the directions!! Their birthdays are in May, so I've got time to work on this one.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Wow, really, printable material ... how cool is that! Wouldn't the grandparents love that! Thanks! :lovestruck:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Perfect gift for kids grandmother. She is in a nursing home and has pictures where she can have them but out of room. Might be an idea for their picture this year.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oh, thanks. I'll check that out. I would have went to the craft dept. Silly me! ::candyheart: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: ::candyheart:

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
Our Walmart has it in the craft area, I picked some up yesterday there! :pink: