Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
DH helped me lastnight with the spreed sheets. He broke it down into a different category/page. We did: Baking, Pantry, Canned Goods, Personal Products, Cleaning and Paper Goods. Created 3 columns 1 for the amount we have on hand, the amount I want to have on hand and the difference. We got the food done lastnight and will work on the personal items, cleaning and paper goods tonight.

I always rotate when I buy new items so we do not have food go past their best used by date. If I come across items that need to be used up but don't think I will be able to used all of them before their date I will donate them to the local food pantry. My goal is buy at least 2 extra items a week when I go shopping to bulk up our stock when I can but between shortages and price hikes that may be a challenge as we only have a Walmart and Major Grocery store in our area.

Now that the local farm stands are open and decently stocked we have been going there to get our fresh produce. Prices are cheaper then the grocery store and much fresher.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
We also have a small house so I have to be creative with storage. I used to keep what we needed to get by from paycheck to paycheck. But now since DH has retired & esp since the virus is here I need to get extra when we can. The problem is things we normally used before this aren't always in stock now.

We haven't been able to find disinfect spray of any in over a week. My sanitizer was getting low but DD found some made by a distillery. They 1/2 bottles for $5. Not exactly the kind I use but it will do for now. Tp is hit & miss we by an extra ok when it's on stock. We're ok with it at the moment. Soap we're pretty stocked on but will still have DH pick up a ok or 2 when he goes to the store. I need more alcohol as I'm making my own disinfectant wipes..

We are ok with food. DD & her BF just brought us more meat from the butcher they use Saturday.

I am not trying to be a downer but I don't see things going back to "normal" as we know it. But that gives opportunity to use our God given creative imaginations.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Creative Storage ideas:
1. Over the door shoe racks with the soft pouches
2. If you have space over top of your kitchen cabinets place baskets or decorative boxes and use the space inside for storage.
3. Under beds or sofas (they sell the rollaway storage boxes to fit under them)
4. If you have a separate laundry room - install shelves or a put in a small stand alone shelf or book case.
5. Basement or Garage - install shelves or install stand alone shelf. Perfect for can goods and cleaning supplies.

Even a small stock pile of extras is better than nothing.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We haven't been able to find disinfect spray of any in over a week. My sanitizer was getting low but DD found some made by a distillery. They 1/2 bottles for $5. Not exactly the kind I use but it will do for now. Tp is hit & miss we by an extra ok when it's on stock. We're ok with it at the moment. Soap we're pretty stocked on but will still have DH pick up a ok or 2 when he goes to the store. I need more alcohol as I'm making my own disinfectant wipes..

We are getting low on the spray and soap. Soap and rubbing alcohol weren't on the shelves when I went out last week. And using that creative imagination, when I ran out of disinfecting wipes, I used a bit of the Clorox toilet bowl cleaner and a wet paper towel. ;)

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Creative Storage ideas:
1. Over the door shoe racks with the soft pouches
2. If you have space over top of your kitchen cabinets place baskets or decorative boxes and use the space inside for storage.
3. Under beds or sofas (they sell the rollaway storage boxes to fit under them)
4. If you have a separate laundry room - install shelves or a put in a small stand alone shelf or book case.
5. Basement or Garage - install shelves or install stand alone shelf. Perfect for can goods and cleaning supplies.

Even a small stock pile of extras is better than nothing.

Thank you some of those we already do. But some I hadn't thought of..

Reactions: Minta

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
We are getting low on the spray and soap. Soap and rubbing alcohol weren't on the shelves when I went out last week. And using that creative imagination, when I ran out of disinfecting wipes, I used a bit of the Clorox toilet bowl cleaner and a wet paper towel. ;)

In this season we have to do whatever works I made up some disinfectant wipes tonight using the liquid sanitizer I have & baby wipes..

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was thinking about that and Thanksgiving too. Do I buy canned yams, cranberry and maybe boxed stuffing and boxed potatoes? Usually we go for fresh but if things are bad around here, then I have something to work with. On the other hand, if I do start buying traditional Thanksgiving canned goods and boxed goods now and we don't need them, then I'll donate them to the food banks.
I have given some thought to what we normally prepare for Christmas for dinner and baking and have started purchasing those items. Mum and I are buying flour when we see it and are storing it in plastic bags then in totes. We buy some canned goods, tinned corn, beetroot etc so have already got that. We have a list and when we see something in stock we purchase it and store it in the "Christmas cupboard"

I love that you will donate to a food bank if not needed

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have already bought hand wash in the pump bottle and hand sanitisers when I saw them last week. Each person in my family will get one of each in their Christmas stocking this year. May become a tradition for us.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I have given some thought to what we normally prepare for Christmas for dinner and baking and have started purchasing those items. Mum and I are buying flour when we see it and are storing it in plastic bags then in totes. We buy some canned goods, tinned corn, beetroot etc so have already got that. We have a list and when we see something in stock we purchase it and store it in the "Christmas cupboard"

I love that you will donate to a food bank if not needed
I love having a Christmas cupboard, planning is part of the fun for me and I love to see those seasonal goodies waiting for us.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tajin seasoning salt.

BRILLIANT IDEA DJ! That will definitely be something I try! Also gets my wheels turning for using the ground zest (lemon or lime) in various dry rub mixes! :) Thank you, thank you!!!

Sooooo...has anyone else googled "Pantry Meals" only to be met with page after page of recipes using very unusual and seldom purchased ingredients? Or is that just me? :rolleyes::confused:

I've been forced to look "deeper" - lol

Had pretty good luck reviewing my Pioneer Woman cookbooks and her various recipes online...

Found this little gem I am just dying to try:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/sweet-and-saltines-recipe-2107651

Doesn't get much more basic ingredients than that!!! I'm afraid to make it - what if it is EPIC? And I eat it all???

I can report that T.P. is BACK IN STOCK at Meijer today - at least for now!!! The whole aisle was restocked just like normal - it was amazing!!! :)

Meat was well stocked too. Prices not bad, a little higher than normal. I think that sticker shock is still to hit unfortunately...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I make those Sweet and Saltines with Graham crackers. It is excellent so would be with saltines too.

Reactions: PamelaG

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Oh....Cracker Crack...haha...That's what I've heard people call it. I have a friend who makes it for New Years Eve all the time.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Wow AJ! I was at giant eagle and there was only about a dozen packs of toilet paper and not much more paper towels and tissues. Plenty of meat but the prices were terrible. They did have limits but I don’t think they needed to with the high prices. And yes very strange ingredients in some of those recipes. I’ve never heard of ingredients and can’t find in any store.

I have a set of the pine to prairie cook books by the telephone pioneers of America. I bought them back in the 80’s when we were stationed at Grand Forks AFB. Good old fashion recipes with easy to find ingredients.

I’ve started stocking up for Christmas too. Buying the things I know I’ll use and if not can always share with family.

I keep a list on my frig and add to it as needed. I’m much better now making sure that my supplies are not running low in the pantry and freezer. My husband bought me a small shelving unit to go under the counter in my laundry room. Now that the boys are gone, the litter boxes are gone and I have extra storage space.
I’ve noticed that vacuum sealer bags are not as available as they have been ( neither has the vacuum sealers!). I usually use my kohl’s cash to buy bags and the have been out. They did get the rolls back in today so I did buy some. I imagine that canning supplies etc will be in short supply come summer and fall. I just added Ball Fruit Fresh to my shopping list will need it for peaches and apples. I have reminders in my planner when to start checking for the produce I buy yearly and freeze. I used to have a large garden but the soil is so poor here from strip mining that we are much better of buying what we want.

Certainly a lot of thinking ahead is needed now. Creative shopping and cooking is a must.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I hadn't really thought about buying ahead for the holidays because of the shortages. So many new things to try and stay on top of with all this.

Thanks Amelia for mentioning vacuum sealer bags and canning supplies. I have plenty of jars, but will need lids...could probably do with some more rings, too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Certainly a lot of thinking ahead is needed now. Creative shopping and cooking is a must.
I am using my planner more than ever. Writing lists for supplies, Christmas food, even started writing lists for what we might need for the Summer. Seems like a spend half my time planning.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I imagine that canning supplies etc will be in short supply come summer and fall. I just added Ball Fruit Fresh to my shopping list will need it for peaches and apples. I have reminders in my planner when to start checking for the produce I buy yearly and freeze.

Oooo... That's a good thought. I was just looking at freezer jam recipes. I don't have any pectin. I've just about used all of my canning jars on spices, extracts and liqueurs. I have few small jars for gifting the teachers but I have to double check that is enough.

I took a page from Minta and made spreadsheets for items that I typically buy. I also made sheets for the items that I buy at specific stores. Making those lists has freed up brain space for more lists. LOL! :p

I am using my planner more than ever. Writing lists for supplies, Christmas food, even started writing lists for what we might need for the Summer. Seems like a spend half my time planning.

LOL! I can relate. It's been so helpful though. In January, I started keeping a notebook for lists. My planner couldn't contain all the random thoughts each week. :oops: I feel more productive and it seems like things aren't falling through the cracks as much.

Last edited:

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Has anyone seen or bought the new Ball Spiral Mason jars? I saw Minta's post on redoing her pantry storage and remembered that I saw a vlog where they were featured. They have them at Target - 16 ounces with regular mouth or 28 ounces with wide mouth. The vlogger used the 16 ounce size in her fridge to store things, they fit very well in the door.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've seen them at Target and (maybe?) at Walmart??? Walmart has them online. Ace hardware stores here sell jars...not sure if they carry the decorative ones

A lot of places online sell them. You can Google it and all kind of sites come up.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I haven't seen the Bell ones yet but some tomato sauces and other pantry items come in decorative jars. I reuse them a lot - just take off the label and use them for storage or to give food or other gifts during the holidays.

Actually I just went through my collection and tossed some of the less attractive ones in the recycling bin.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I've seen them at Target and (maybe?) at Walmart??? Walmart has them online. Ace hardware stores here sell jars...not sure if they carry the decorative ones

A lot of places online sell them. You can Google it and all kind of sites come up.
I have the decorative ones but they are just the standard shape and not spiral. I have snowflakes, stars and stripes, and hearts. I got them at Blain's Farm & Fleet - it came up in a Google search when I first heard about them..

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...MIp7mDgOi76QIVCx-tBh3uQgj5EAQYBCABEgLPPvD_BwE