Prepping for CiJ

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas

I know I am not the only Christmas nut here and that gives me great joy!

Is anyone else prepping to prep for Christmas? Lol.

I am planning to make homemade vanilla for my co-workers and homemade apple butter for my family breakfast baskets. So, I need to order vanilla beans on line because they are much less expensive in bulk and no one here sells them. I also need to make a liquor store run and get vodka and bourbon to make the extract. I have seen recipes using both so I am going to experiment to see which we like best. After the vanilla is strained and the vanilla pods are removed, I will grind the pods and mix with sugar to make vanilla sugar for small gifts for whoever. I also need to get jars or bottles to decant the vanilla into and decide on packaging details.

For the apple butter, I use prepared applesauce so I need to run to Sam's to get big jars of that and to purchase sugar and spices to use. I also need jars. I found some pint-and-a-half pickle jars which I plan to use. I need to buy those and again decide on cute packaging details including snazzy labels.

Then I need to do schedule a day to make the stuff! I am seriously considering taking a vacation day from work to do it. All of my Saturdays in July are packed!!

Anyone else "prepping to prep"? Or is it just me? Lol.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Vanilla in the air

It must be because I am getting ready to make vanilla for gifts also. I have some wine whose bottles will be perfect for vanilla (if I can get the painted label off). I had not thought about ordering the beans online. Will see what I can find. Now I need to drink some wine.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I use vodka. But Bourbon would make a darker vanilla.

Do take a vacation day (or two). Do all the prep before taking the day off so you can get a lot done without having to run to stores.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
As it is winter here- this is when I do the bulk of my prep and planning. I am doing vanilla this year- it has already started. I have the bottles and labels ready to print.

I spend a lot of time at this time of year as when the weather warms up- Im more likely to be at the beach! I hate this weather as it is cold but I love it because it is when I watch Christmas movies, write shopping lists, think about food, laybye gifts and generally take stock of what I already have and what I need to get done.

As DS finishes school this year on 26th Nov for our long Summer holiday- I HAVE to have everything bought, picked up, wrapped etc. before then. His last week of school is busy for parents as well with trips, picnics and I usually go so already I am planning to be done by Fri 20th November.

I just want to have to do food stuff after that. I want to relax and enjoy the time! I want to stay late at the beach, catch up with friends and enjoy the time before Christmas!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm kind of intimadated to try the vanilla... on the other hand I could try only 1 bottle and see what it's like... hummmmm... I do have vodka at home.

I want to try some cookies during my staycation and I have to Schedule my cij posts (they are all ready). My friend's ornaments are done as are the 'little something' I put in my Christmas cards. I will be starting the ornaments for the kids during my staycation too (from june 24 to july 6 included).

Let's have some fun!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
My plans for CiJ are a little up in the air, but I would like to sort through some recipes and see if there are some new cookies to try, I make cookie trays to give out and love to mix it up...looking forward to the festivities here! Also seriously thinking about getting in the homemade vanilla game, always wanted to do it...

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I can't find the vanilla beans around here locally either and have always had to order them. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago (or longer) I started giving vanilla and if I miss a year a few people comment how they are out and was looking forward to it.

The vanilla sugar is good in recipes too.

The apple butter sounds yummy and I bet it is well received.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
There are many things that you ladies in the States and Canada have that we either can't get, have trouble getting or pay silly prices for- canned pumpkin being one. Yet I can think of at least 6 places locally to me that I can get Vanilla Beans at with ease.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
No CIJ for me this year with the move happening, but I will enjoy reading about everything you guys are doing.

Lucie - can't wait for your CIJ blog posts.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
You've inspired me, Lucie, to get busy with my posts! Not sure when I'll be starting work so I'd better get organized and have my posts all written and ready to go.

Those of you who are making vanilla, would you please share your recipes of just let me know if it's on your blog (if you blog) and I'll pop over to take a look. I've never made vanilla before but it sounds like a great gift.

Finally cleaned out the craft bin so I'm sure I have supplies if I can only decide on what project to tackle first!

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
Think I'll wrap some presents and get serious planning my cookie party. A little hard to think Christmas with 100+ temps but I'll lower the A/C and crank up up the Christmas tunes!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tanya, last year when I was in the U.S I purposely bought a tin of pumpkin. It sits pride of place in my pantry.
You should have seen the customs officer at Sydney Airports face when I declared it.
She said "you know we grow that here"? and I said "not in a can we don't".
I think she thought I was a little strange.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
My Christmas breakfast baskets vary from year to year. They are for our siblings-my brothers and families and DH's sisters and families-, my mom and two family friends. I started doing them because we don't do our extended family breakfast on Christmas morning with the passing of my aunt who hosted it.

One year I put gingerbread pancake mix and hot chocolate mix in. Another year I made muffin mixes with spiced tea mix. I have also done the apple butter I am making again this year, beer bread and bee butter (honey butter), hot pepper jelly made from home grown jalapeños and assorted other quick breads.

This year I am thinking beer biscuits and apple butter. Maybe a small bag of coffee.

My vanilla recipe is simple. You slice a long slit in vanilla beans and put them in a glass container (or use the liquor bottle) and cover with either vodka or bourbon, cover and store in a cool dark place. You shake it gently every now and then and in a few months you strain it into the decanter you plan to present it in and viola! Instant love to share!

The vanilla is for my co workers. We will have a brunch here at my house and do an ornament exchange. The vanilla will be favors.

Keep the comments coming!!

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I feel so badly for y'all! Canned pumpkin is one of my most favorite things in the world!! Can I send you some?

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have never considered making vanilla, it sounds interesting. I thought about the sugar once but was intimidated by the cost of teh beans and how hard it is to buy them.

I do'nt have much planned but leaving the Hallmark (and hallmark move and mystery) channels on all day and listening to some Christmas music.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Thanks Cathy! We usually send presents to my sis and brothers and it is hard coming up with new ideas-sounds lovely...Tanya you just say the word and we will hook you up with canned pumpkin! When my British niece came to visit a few years ago she went crazy for the family size bags of chips-or "crisps", that was what she wanted for a souvenir-LOL

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Katrina,

It is possible to get but not all the time- it is also very expensive! There is a store near me at Bondi that stocks food items only from either the USA or England- canned pumpkin is sold but only coming up to Thanksgiving and boy does it go fast. Occasionally the food hall in David Jones but only in Sydney city-sells it as well. It retails here for about $12 AUD a can! I try really hard to keep some as it is amazing for dogs that have upset tummy's.

Last edited: