Prepping our kitchens for Holidays 2019...

Discussion in 'Holiday Cooking' started by AuntJamelle, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member

I use clear jel too (not the instant clear jel) . I leave about 1 inch of head space. A little trick to avoid the major siphoning from the lids, turn off the water a few minutes earlier and leave the jars in the water for about 20 minutes or so before taking them out. This helps to stabilize the pressure inside the jars which reduces the leakage.

AuntJamelle likes this.
  2. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

I though I'd add what I've done for making applesauce. I have made applesauce in the crock pot. I usually mix up the types of apples based on what we have in the house. I put the crock pot on low, add some quartered apples and let it go for about 4 hours or so. I use a potato masher to break down the apples. Because it smells so good, the applesauce is usually gone at the next meal.

I've also done apples mixed with pears in the microwave for a quick side dish at dinner. I cut the pieces smaller, cover the dish and microwave high for 3 minutes. Then I use the potato masher and cook it for another 2 minutes and mash again. Usually, by that point, it is at a consistency we like.

AuntJamelle and Minta like this.
  3. Minta

Grocery store had cartons of assorted broths on sale this week so we stocked up on Beef, chicken and vegetable broths for soups and other dishes this winter. Once it gets colder I want to make soups to fill the freezer.

4. MinnieCo

MinnieCo Well-Known Member

Minta I'm waiting for canned soups to go back on sale too. I make alot of homemade soups, so I'll need to stock up on broths as well, but my brother tends to eat canned soup when he's alone or not feeling well. He got sick last week, cleared out my winter supply , so I had to go buy more at full price and that kills me a bit.

Minta likes this.
  5. Minta

Me too, I like to keep some can soup in my desk at work for lunches and at home for when the kids don't feel good or want grill cheese and soup.

6. Minta

Started stocking up for my holiday baking. Picked up a big container of cocoa powder and a big 72 oz bag of chocolate chips from BJS. Local grocery store has skippy natural peanut butter on sale 2 for $3 limit 2 plus I have various coupons so I have been stopping in once to twice a day to stock up. My kids go through a lot of peanut butter plus I set aside a few jars for my holiday cookies.

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  7. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

I am doing groceries today and am stocking up on baking paper and alfoil. I need a few more storage containers too.

Holiday_Mom and Minta like this.
  8. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

If you have an Aldi grocery store that you pass by in your travels, you may want to stop in and check out their prices on peanut butter. I don't know if all Aldi stores have the same prices but currently Aldi sells the large jars for about a $1 less than the local store brand.

Minta likes this.
  9. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

I have shopped Aldi for years and I get sticker shock when I have to purchase at the grocery store.

Minta and Ahorsesoul like this.
  10. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

We have an Aldi's and do a lot of shopping there. Their produce doesn't seem very good here. I really think the delivery guy drops off another store's rejects.

Minta likes this.
  11. Minta

Thanks .. my kids are picky about their peanut butter. Between the store sale and coupons I got 14 jars anywhere from 75 cents to a $1 jar.

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  12. sweetpumkinpye

We find that Aldi's fruit and veg is not ideal. I do not care for how it is packaged. I would rather go to the green grocer or our other big supermarket where I can pick what I want.

Minta likes this.
  13. MinnieCo

MinnieCo Well-Known Member

Costco run last night, picked up some parchment paper and pecans. Gotta have pecans. They always come first.

Minta likes this.
  14. sweetpumkinpye

tidied the pantry and stockpile yesterday. Have quite the list of what needs to be purchased over the next few weeks. All the staples, flour, sugar, coconut etc.

Minta likes this.