RAK - Random act of kindness

Discussion in 'Gifts & Giving' started by luludou, Jan 31, 2019.

1. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Last year I was thinking of doing bags for the Homeless, but it just didn't happen for whatever Reason. i do know our Katrina did though :)

So this Morning I was looking at what to do with all the yarn I have …. why not scarves for the Homeless? There are so many around where I work and with the winters we have, it is cold!!

I was looking up some ideas and came upon this article https://globalnews.ca/news/4786599/toronto-homeless-scarfs/

I will start making scarves and I hope to have quite a few done for next year.

Myron's Mom likes this.
  2. luludou

Myron's Mom and Miss JoDee like this.
  3. luludou

Myron's Mom and Miss JoDee like this.
  4. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

Lucie, thank you for sharing the articles. The You Matter article really got me to thinking. I shared it with a teacher I worked with and my ex boss. There is so much that you can do with those 2 simple words.

luludou and Myron's Mom like this.
  5. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Wow! That article...what a movement. I may have to request some cards. I wonder how long ago this was going on and if it is still happening. Is it this November that they are trying to hit 1 million? We have SO many homeless here on the island and I have a few friends that could definitely use this message, I could always make a card as well. Love this message.

luludou, Myron's Mom and Miss JoDee like this.
  6. Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom Active Member

Amazing! I bet that a hand made card would have even more of a impact on the recipient.

Miss JoDee likes this.
  7. Miss JoDee

My thoughts exactly.

8. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Lucie, you are always so thoughtful. Your inspiration last year lead me to collecting items and donating care packages for those having a tough time. They were easy to prepare and the organisation we gave them to were very grateful.
    I have started gathering items again for this year and am hoping to continue for many years. Thank you.

I am now reading some of the things that you have posted and am wondering what else we can d to help ease the load for others that need a hand.
    I am not sure if there are a lot of homeless in our city, I live in the suburbs and rarely venture into the town centre, but will look into it and see what help they may need for this upcoming Winter.

luludou likes this.
  9. Miss JoDee

I have been learning about college students that are homeless. They have the money for tuition but not housing. Many are living in their cars and there are some organizations that provide shelter for them. Maybe an inquiry with a local colleges would help.

luludou likes this.
  10. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

I just read the "You Matter" article. Wow! It reminded me of a movie called The Letter Writer.

From imdb.com - "A fiercely rebellious teen embarks on a mission to track down her secret admirer after receiving an inspirational letter from someone who seems to know her even better than she knows herself. Maggie Fuller has never felt as if she lived up to her parents' expectations, so when she receives a flattering letter in the mail, she's determined to uncover the identity of the sender. Upon meeting the stranger who had such kind words to say about her, Maggie realizes just how many mysteries life truly holds."

luludou likes this.
  11. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that one of the things homeless people need the most, and I also heard on a news feature just last week that this is also one of the biggest needs in homeless shelters is socks. They walk so much that socks wear out quickly.

12. luludou

The homeless shelter has been asking for backpacks so the homeless can carry their stuff in instead of using grocery bags.

Miss JoDee likes this.
  13. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Lucie, thanks for that information. Back to school sales a few weeks back were advertising back packs for as little as $4 each. I will see if I can get some.
    missjane, socks are something that we put into the packs last year, maybe we need to add two pair this year.
    We picked up combs last week and they will go in and I recently spoke to a friend who is a dentist and she will donate sample tubes of toothpaste.

luludou likes this.