Recommendation Please

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Our 17 year old daughter's creative side is really blooming due to a teacher in her school. She is loving the arts and really took to sewing and expressed interest in owning a sewing machine. Can you ladies recommend one? It will be her big gift for Christmas. Thanks

Reactions: luludou

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
If you can find a used one that is in good condition I would get that because the newer models have a lot of plastic. I have 2 Kenmores and prefer my older model. Both are just basic machines. My mom likes her Singer and I got DDil a Brother from Walmart, she is a new sewer and again it is just a basic. When and she "takes off" and wants her machine to do more she can upgrade.

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
The sewing machines they have in the schools have settings for various types of stiches which she likes. She made a should bag last school year using a couple different stich patterns and that got her really hooked. She wants to make more bags, pillows and has stated looking at patterns.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Exactly what I was thinking. Also, the schools will upgrade and sell the old models.
I would recommend this as well. Also, do you have somewhere like Joann in your area? My local store has a section where the sewing machines are all set up and you can try them out. If it's going to be a surprise, just casually take a trip there with your daughter and let her see what interests her there.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Thanks ladies, yes it's going to a be surprise. I know they just bought these sewing machines a couple years ago. I will reach out to her teacher.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have a very basic Brother machine which is fine for me and my basic sewing skills. When DH bought my machine he also got a 4 week sewing course run by the shop which I found very useful.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
If you are looking for a bargain, usually around Christmas time I've found that Costco carries some type of Brothers sewing machine for a really good deal. Might not be the fanciest, but an option for a good price!