Sad-Happy Sunday November 25th, 2018

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lana, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Hello Everybody! Happy Rudy Day--last of 2018!!!!

2. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Sad because it is the last day before I go back to work!!!! Happy because in 1 month will be Christmas!!!! Can you really believe that?!? Years do fly!

Lots I would like to get done today but I know it won't all get. Need to wash some towels, do dishes and bring stuff in to decorate. Ran to a flea market place yesterday and then got a few things out of storage. Also need to figure checkbooks--YIKES!!! (with the shopping) I will be off Thursday this week.

They have started breaking ground on the Doillar General here in Ashley. Haven't heard a projected opening date but I would say by summer if weather lets them work. Aldis in Mt. Vernon should open December 8th. They built a new larger one.

I suppose I better close and move on.

Josie, has the bottom half of the tree completely ball less and pulling on the steamers. Needless to say I am not happy and so VERY VERY glad that I didn't put the homemade on. BUT I am so missing them! Love my tree with the homemade on it!!!!!

Have a GREAT day!

3. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

I was up early. Slept really good last night so I was ready to go this morning.

LC22 is here this weekend so I have a lot of help getting our Thanksgiving dinner ready. Right now we are wrapping up homemade chocolate cherries. We started them yesterday since they needed to be cold for wrapping. I think everything else is ready except the Banoffee pie which she will make next.

Dh is vacuuming the living room and I will get the kitchen once all the food is covered.

DD is just up having breakfast while reading the paper.

Boots is making his rounds checking the kitchen floor for his clean up duties.

Twillow is the smartest of the family. He's laying in bed with the heating pad on. He already determined there was nothing of interest going on the kitchen.

Enjoy your day.

4. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

DS's vehicle will not start, even with the new battery. DH thought it was a fuel problem but after working on it last night and using a code reader, he's now thinking that it's a security issue with the built in security on the vehicle. It's a 2002. The kids found a spare key in the vehicle a while back that does not have the chipped piece on it, just a plain old key. DH used it the other day to unlock and attempt to start the car at least once. Apparently, after some research, if you use it a certain amount of times, it can lock out the security on the vehicle and the only way to unlock it is to get the chipped key recoded to the vehicle at a dealership. It might not be worth it depending on how much it will cost. The vehicle itself was only $500, so if it will cost a couple hundred dollars then we may just donate the vehicle to somewhere (keep the brand new battery that DS purchased) and be out our money. Worst case scenario and not one that any of us are going to be happy about. It will break DS's heart for sure. He's put $40 cash into it and we've kept $60 in allowance money towards payment (that's being generous because he's sucked at his chores). Then he bought the battery with his savings which we will keep. He's upset at the prospect, but I think he's more upset at not having a vehicle now that he has a license. Hopefully things will work out and it won't cost much. DH is going to call the dealership today and see what they say. However, we have no way of getting the car there. Ugh!!!

DH and I had talked about going on a motorcycle ride this weekend but no idea if we're actually going to this morning. I want to get the main tree decorated today, but now that i'm sitting here with the tree lights on in the semi-dark there is a high concentration of lights at the top of the tree (not well distributed) so it definitely needs to be fluffed better up top. DH will need to do that because I had to stand on a chair to reach and he's better at it than me. I was doing some Christmas shopping online this morning on Target, just need to check out.

Not sure what else will go on today, probably mostly dealing with the vehicle issue and getting ready for the week. I do need to study since i'm taking my final assessment tomorrow morning.

Lana- I, too, need to do the checkbook and am NOT looking forward to it. Could you put a smaller tree in your bedroom with your special ornaments?
    Diedra- I hope your meal is delicious! The pie sounds wonderful!

Enjoy your day!

5. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Happy Rudy Day! I'm sitting here making a wish list for baking Christmas goodies. I'll dig out a Christmas gift to finish in a while.

DH's recliner came. It's really nice, leather, heavy-duty...and he can't get out of it without help. I told him he's going to have to figure it out because I won't always be here to help him. I looked online this morning to troubleshoot - I'll talk to Dsil and maybe he can adjust the springs or screws or whatever thingies need tweaking.

The kiddoes just came downstairs for breakfast. Dgs tried to sneak some sugared cereal - I caught him. He's allowed to have it only on Saturdays. So...the day starts.

Have a great Rudy Day!

6. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Hello all! Sunny and rather pleasant out. Can't complain.

Slept in today and DH picked up Buffy from the spa. She had a bath so she naturally got her whole foot into the mud. Ugh! Tonight she will have her picture taken with Santa.

So I made breakfast, put up turkey carcass soup for dinner and am on the third load of laundry. DH has read the paper, taken out the garbage and surfed the internet. Hmm! What is wrong with this picture?

Lana - I'm sure that you'll get a ton of stuff done!
    Jess -so sorry about DS's car. Did you buy from a dealer or an individual?
    Deb - re the recliner - if there's a will there's a way?
    Diedra - the banofee pie sounds lovely
    Pamela - glad you are in you're new home
    Pam - hope you are feeling better
    FS - good to hear from you again

Time to address so Christmas Cards for Rudy Day.

7. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

We arrived home from Mom's yesterday day afternoon unloaded the car and unpacked and put it all away. (I am usually one to wait until the next day. We had a nice Thanksgiving and I was able to talk mom into letting me to mix 2 batches of cookies dough and freeze for her. She can't stand for long in the kitchen so this will help when it is time to bake. Blizzard warning until

We are currently under a snow warning and changing to a Blizzard named Bruce at 6:00 pm until 6:00 am tomorrow. Lana lives almost 400 miles south of me and is also in the path of Bruce.

We are safe and warm with food in the house and content. Just need to tidy the living room and enjoy the day.

8. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good morning all and Happy Rudy day to you.
    Monday here and off to work. I think I have counted 9 days left for the year so think I can manage that lol. Boss will be back in the office tomorrow, hopefully she had a great holiday and comes back relaxed and stress free. I need to get a few things tidied up, we hold a Christmas party every year for the participants of our exercise classes. I need a date for that. I also need her to tell me the dates that we are closed so that I can put them into our Christmas cards that I send out. I want to get those out early next week.

My Christmas cards will go out in the post today so hopefully they will all get there well before Christmas.

Better go, I hope that you all have an amazing day,

9. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Good afternoon!

The freezing temps have moved on and we are in the 50s today. I just sat down to chat with you all, took a bite of popcorn and my front tooth veneer popped off....again. :eek: I called the dentist to see if I could leave a message, but they don't even have the machine on today. My dentist has "flown the coop" and returned to her home town, so now they just have substitute dentists. Once I have this fixed, the kids and I will transfer elsewhere. It's lasted a year....thought it would last a lifetime. I was planning on having my blood work done in the morning on one end of the county, but it looks like I'll end up at the other end doing that and getting my tooth fixed. I hope!

We went to early mass, then stopped at the grocery store to pick up lunch meat and snacks for our hunters this week. 50 dollars later....:p They had bread BOGO and our favorite local spaghetti sauce 5/5. fresh baked bread, coffee....it just grew. lol Rifle season starts tomorrow. H left for work and to return to college. He didn't want to go back today. I think he was home for too long. Only 3 more weeks until winter break. J went to shoot in guns and finish his tree stand. I worked on calendars for the grandmothers for Christmas. Snapfish is 70% off today and tomorrow.

I have sauce and meatballs simmering in the slow cooker for dinner tonight. I think I'm caught up on most of the necessary things....of course, there is always more I could do. ;) I'll probably watch some Christmas movies instead.

Hope you all have a lovely day!

10. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Yeah, about that recliner. DH wants me to screw handles into the front of the chair arms. Not gonna happen. He needs to get rid of his huge gut.

11. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone.

We had to switch from heat to A/C here today...and some of you are getting a blizzard! It will be back to heat tonight because we're to be down to 35°F tonight. Cold for the next three days and then back to the low 70s. See why we never get to put away the summer clothes?!

DS and family came for lunch after church today. DH didn't go today because he's still recovering from whatever stomach ailment he had. He'll be ready to go back to work tomorrow...I, on the other hand, will not. Not because I am sick physically...just sick and tired of going, period. Long stretches of time like this make me want to have this year behind me so I can just be a housewife...or at least a housewife more time than I'm a working wife.

I need to do the checkbook, too. We got paid on the 17th, which will make it 5 weeks between pay days. It will be the same way next month. This normally happens only in December each year, but with Thanksgiving so early, it happened this month, too, this year. I've been using things from the freezer so the groceries will be less this month, so that will help. Plus, it will give extra room in the freezer when needed for the holidays.

The repair shop didn't get to my van Friday, so I'll use DD21's car to go to work tomorrow. Good thing she's home from college. I'm praying it may just be the fuel pump. DH thinks the timing chain, which he says may have torn up the motor. We still owe about $4800 on it. I DO NOT want to have to car shop or to have a car note for the next 5 years again, but DH says if it's the motor, he doesn't know about putting that much into it. :oops::mad::(

GrammaDeb, maybe you should have invested in a lift chair. ;)
    Lana, that's exciting about Jaymee and the prospect of getting a house! Hope you got more done today than you expected. The day before going back to work always puts me in a slump/depression and I don't want to do anything. A Dollar General was built beside my mom's house and it took only about 4-5 months for them to build it and get it open. It may open sooner than you think!
    Lisa, how frustrating about the tooth. I think I would file a complaint, go to another dentist, and make them pay for it.
    Jess, how awful about the car! I can't imagine how DS must feel. I ordered a new key online for my van and it has the chip. It was a lot less than getting it from the dealership, and there are youtube videos that can show you how to program it. From the things you talk about Chad doing, he seems handy enough to figure out how to program a key.
    Katrina, those 9 days will pass in no time. Sounds like a busy little time coming up for you with getting things squared away before the end of the year.
    Jody, stay safe! Hopefully, you won't lose power.
    Debbie, that does seem to be the way of it so often...You know what they say...a woman's work is never done from break of day to setting sun. At least you got to sleep in a bit.
    Diedra, I'm glad you had an extra set of hands to help you prepare for your celebration. LCs are lucky to be working for you. You're so generous to them.

I think I hear rain...means the cold front is moving through. If not rain, than a raining down of leaves from the wind changing directions.

Happy Rudy Day, everyone! I'll be checking my list and doing some ordering online tonight, I hope!

12. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Evening all MHHers

Our thanksgiving went really well, At least for everyone except DD. She got mad that about not being allowed to take all the cream cheese olives she wanted. I told her other people needed to take their turn at getting some before she ate them all. She stomped off to her room. So the rest of us had a quiet dinner. She came back up later and ate.

We took photos before dinner which worked out very well. Stepmother wouldn't get in the photo. I only picked up shirts for us not her since she had said she wasn't coming. I should have just grabbed her a shirt too. She does this all the time. But the white shirts with the Christmas light bulb necklaces turned out really well. I had one necklace that the lights didn't work. So grandson just held a package which turned out really cute. Wishing all a good night.

13. MrsSoup

Afternoon!

DH and I went on a motorcycle ride around the island this morning. We had lunch at Chili's and then came home. He called the Nissan dealer but the service department is closed today, go figure. DS mowed the yard and then took our car to a friends house. DH and DD went Christmas shopping. I think Eli is upstairs but I should probably verify. I was watching Hallmark movies and now i'm watching The Santa Clause and drinking hot chocolate.

There are some good waves up in North Shore right now so we talked about going up there this evening. The swells are supposed to get up to 20-30' this evening into tomorrow and through Tuesday. Tomorrow might be the better time to go to see really big ones. We'll see though. The Eddie (huge surf competition) is back on this year, excited about that and definitely plan to go watch it. People come from all over the world and camp out on the beach and wait for them to call the competition. "The tournament is known for a unique requirement that open-ocean swells reach a minimum height of 20 feet (6.1 m) before the competition can be held. Open-ocean swells of this height generally translate to wave faces in the bay of 30 feet (9.1 m) to 40 feet (12 m). As a result of this requirement, the tournament has only been held nine times during the history of the event, most recently on February 25, 2016.[5][6][7]" From Wikipedia but absolutely true. They had sponsorship issues last year and in all honesty, I don't think the waves ever really got that high anyway.

Deb- I need to make a list too so I can start buying ingredients on my shopping trips! I laughed so hard I snorted on your comment about your DH's gut. haha
    Debbie- DH bougt the car from a Soldier that was leaving the island. He didn't even know the other key existed, the kids found it going through the car with a fine tooth comb. LOL
    Jody- You made it back just in time!
    Katrina- You're the perfect person to handle the Christmasy stuff around the office!
    Lisa- That's ridiculous that your veneer came off again! I would be looking for a new dentist too!
    Jane- I hope it's nothing too serious for your van! I'll mention what you said to DH, but it's something to do with the security system and i'm not sure that will work. I think the entire thing has to be recoded, not just the key but i'm not sure. DH is a mechanic. LOL Or parts replacer as he calls it.
    Diedra- Sorry about stepmother but she did say she wasn't coming, so it's not your fault. She could have held a package too. LOL

14. missjane

Jess, it's really none of my business, and I don't know the overall condition of the car, but having bought vehicles for 3 kids, I'd say that even if you have to spend an additional $200-500 to get the car running, and it's in pretty good condition, $1000 for a car for a kid to clunk around in until he can afford a better one himself isn't a bad investment...that's just my two cents worth. Totally get it if you don't agree! :D

MrsSoup likes this.
  15. sweetpumkinpye

Lisa, sorry about the tooth, hopefully the veneer can be re cemented.
    Deb, handles? Don't think so.
    MissJane, cars are a pain aren't they. Hope it is something simple.
    Dierdra, the tee-shirts and necklaces sound great. Should be a great card.
    Jess, Cannot even imaging waves that big!!! You are right about organising Christmas here at work, glad to do it.

Lunchtime here, I have had a yoghurt, not feeling like much more. I know that by 5pm though I will be hungry.
    I have enough here to keep me busy so the afternoon should be a quick one.

Hope you all enjoy your evening, snuggle in.

16. missjane

If you're inclined to pray, please pray for DD21's roommate who's from India. Her mom passed away today. They had not seen each other in over a year

17. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

Praying. Has to be so difficult.

18. MrsSoup

So sorry to hear that Jane and will send good thoughts for comfort and healing for her and her family. It must be so hard for her being so far away. Will she go home? I agree about the vehicle, it's just getting DH to agree as well. ;)

19. missjane

DD and I are taking her to catch a plane to India. She'll be traveling alone.

20. sweetpumkinpye

missjane, thoughts are with DD's roommate. A sad time indeed.