September 2019 Rudolph Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
It's time for the three-day warning - September Rudolph Day is coming! This month's movie is your choice from Hallmark - there's plenty out there so let us know what you plan to watch or if you haven't decided yet, check back on the 25th and let us know what you chose.

September is all about preparing for holiday gifts and giving - check out the Rudolph Club post here - https://christmas.organizedhome.com/rudolph-club/september. How do you budget? Are there Christmas Clubs still out there where you put so much aside at your bank and they send you a check/redeposit the funds to your account on a certain day? Anyone still have a piggy bank Christmas fund? I think from most of the posts that we read here, this group spreads the shopping throughout the whole year meaning less of a hit on the wallet all at once.

Plan ahead, that's the key - know who's on your gift list, how much you plan to give to charity, what cooking/baking/entertaining expenses there will be, do you need to replace some decor, how about your Christmas wardrobe? Then there are all those holiday things that you forget to think about until your budget takes a hit - how many cute holiday items have slipped into your basket when you are out shopping?

I have been hanging on to this Christmas card for years - I think I bought it in Florida so that's at least 20 years ago! I just loved the cute text "Christmas Sales" set to the tune of "Jingle Bells". Come on, sing along!

Dashing to the mall
to shop the day away...
To every store you'll go
for many hours you'll stay
(SPEND, SPEND, SPEND)!
Charge cards you will bring,
Signatures you'll write...
What fun it is to shop all day
as well as through the night!
Ohhh, Christmas sales, Christmas sales,
savings all the way...
Oh, what fun it is to shop
when stores are open LA-ATE!
Christmas sales, Christmas sales
what more can you say?
Oh, what fun it is to shop
But it sure ain't fun to pay!

The lesson here, as the inside graphic on the card shows, is NOT to have a pile of bills coming through your mailbox in January!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Remember also that the first wrapping party of the year is on Rudy Day

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We stick to a budget. We prefer to pay in cash. However, we do use the credit card for online purchases. We treat the credit card like it is cash. If we don't have the cash in the bank for the item, then we don't buy it.

I'm hoping to get some Christmas wrapping done on the 25th and maybe a few cards written out.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have a credit card but hardly ever use it. For Christmas I use cash to buy things through the year, I also have a Christmas club that matures on November 1st.
If I order anything online I use my debit card.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Not sure what I will do this Rudy Day but I am sure that I will be dreaming of Christmas and hoping to do some prep.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I want to wrap and so does my husband but he will be watching his buddy that has Alzheimer’s. I’ll wait and see how the rest of the weeks goes. Maybe I can atleast get organized to wrap.
I use cash or debit card unless I buy on line then I use the credit card. I don’t buy that much online, only if I have to. I love buying all year, spreads out all the expenses so the budget isn’t shot at the end of the year.

Reactions: mummytummy

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I love buying all year, spreads out all the expenses so the budget isn’t shot at the end of the year.
This is how I feel. Also by buying all year I get gifts at the price I want to pay, I am not having to pay the holiday prices.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
We stick to a budget. We prefer to pay in cash. However, we do use the credit card for online purchases. We treat the credit card like it is cash. If we don't have the cash in the bank for the item, then we don't buy it.

I'm hoping to get some Christmas wrapping done on the 25th and maybe a few cards written out.
That's exactly what we do. I make a purchase online or at a store with my credit card, come home, and immediately transfer the money from checking to the card account. Never carry a balance but are able to take advantage of rewards programs to earn miles or Amazon dollars.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It's Rudy Day here for me, a day off. I have some Christmas movies recorded so that might be on the agenda this afternoon along with a mug of hot chocolate.
As always, updating the planner and lists, always lists.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm going to watch It's Christmas, Eve because I have it recorded and have some hot chocolate. I think i'll make some lists of gift ideas for the family (if I can think of anything). I have to accomplish some must-do items before I can relax and have some Christmas fun though!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Happy Rudy day! I’m spending my afternoon sitting in the waiting room at the animal hospital. I called yesterday for Sebastian’s 6 month check up appointment and they had an opening today so here we are. Might watch a Christmas movie tonight. Will see what happens. Have a fun and productive day!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I didn't get to the wrapping like I thought. :( I might be able to get to it on Thursday or Friday. I did listen to a Christmas podcast which made me :).

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Mom helped me sew 10 pillowcases for Christmas gifts today. We have 8 more to go. It was suppose to be one case per person but when I cut them out I mistakenly cut 2 per person. A win for giftee

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, sound like a happy little accident.
Looks like you all had a great Rudy Day. Only 2 more until the big one. Still lots to do here.