Shepherd's Pie Recipe

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sprouthappy

Retire Member
Nov 13, 2014
I tried some last year, and I must have eaten 3 pounds by the end of the night haha!

My son gave me permission to share the recipe, I felt the need to ask because it’s from his cookbook. Just to cite my source, here is the book:21 Festive Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes

When he made it, he added some extra seasonings that we had lying around, and it was delicious.

Ingredients

1 pound Yukon Gold or white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 cup vegan milk mixed with 2 tbsp. lime juice (it’s supposed to curdle, this creates a vegan butter milk substitute)
1 tablespoon vegan butter
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
1/2 cup finely diced carrot (or bell pepper)
1 tablespoon water
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups cooked or canned (rinsed) lentils or bean of your choice (or use vegan “beef” crumbles or cooked tofu)

Preparation

Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Add milk mixture, butter and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until mostly smooth.

While the potatoes are cooking, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat four 10- to 12-ounce broiler-safe ramekins (or an 8-inch-square broiler-safe baking dish) with cooking spray. Place ramekins on a broiler-safe baking sheet.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in corn, thyme and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.

Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth. Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in lentils and cook, stirring constantly,
for 2 minutes.

Divide the hot lentil mixture among the prepared ramekins (or spread in the baking dish). Top with the mashed potatoes. Broil, rotating halfway through, until the potato is lightly browned in spots, 6 to 10 minutes

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This look really good. Thanks for sharing. Please tell him thank you.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I'm going to try this for my vegetarian DD. Thanks!

What additional spices did he add?