Simple Abundance discussion thread

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
So several of us decided to follow the book Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach this year. If you would like to jump in, please feel free to share your thoughts on each days message. Don't forget that at the end of each month there is a list of Joyful Simplicities.

Since we are technically on January 4th, i'll try to provide a brief overview of the first 3 days.

January 1- this small entry talks about how the New Year is a fresh start, a new beginning. Reflect on your hopes and dreams for the future. The author tells us to believe in ourselves.

January 2- This section is about questions. It talks about turning away from things because we are afraid to question our feelings or why we have them or other areas of our lives. Be open to the changes that asking questions may bring.

January 3- The Inner Journey. The author says that we already have everything we need inside us to make our dreams come true. This secton outlines the 6 principles that will help us on our year long journey.

That brings us to today, January 4th. Today's section speaks about life. Some of us live like we are rehearsing, waiting for the big show. Instead of using our good china or wearing that new dress, we wait for a "special occassion". I don't know about you, but we don't have alot of those. I've always been a firm believer in realizing that today could be your last so live life to the fullest. Use your best china for a regular meal, wear an article of clothing that you usually save for special times. Each day is special in its own right. We need to take care of ourselves first and foremost so we can better take care of others.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I love this book!! I am discussing it with a group of people on another forum and I am really looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on it.

I love January 4th's passage. Live every day to the fullest!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think that this is a fantastic book! I have often started it..... and dropped out during the year. With a group of us encouraging each other, we can do it!!!!!

Now - I have to find the book. I'll check in when I do!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've started using my 'good stuff' daily. My silver ware is now the sterling silver instead of that old plain flatware because of this book. I tossed out all the old junkie coffee mugs and use the nice one daily. Same with my clothes, I tossed out the old stuff. I am a worthy female that can use the good stuff.

Been reading SA since Oct 1996 (really do need a new book, it's falling apart)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I swore I had a copy of this but it's not on my book shelf. Maybe I've just given it as a gift so many times that I thought I had a copy! Guess I'll join SparkleNana at the book store and pick me up a copy, too!

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Maybe I will give it a try also...I have had it for a number or years, started it several times and always stray from it...it should make a difference that others are reading it and discussing it...

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks Jessica for starting this thread. Happy to see a group discussion, I think my book is at my DD but I'll get it so I can along.

Jessica I have a story to share. You shared":Some of us live like we are rehearsing, waiting for the big show." When I was little my grandmother made me all kinds of pretty dress from flour sacks(showing my age lol) anyway my mom always put them up to be wore on a special occassion. Well one year in Jan. our house burnt to the ground I never got to wear those dresses. To this day it is hard for me to put anything back for too long.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm in. I love this book and try to read it every year. I've fallen short several years...maybe this thread will keep me on track! Thanks Jessica for starting this. Looking forward to stimulating conversation!

I'm a firm believer in "using the good stuff". I am trying to make special occasions out of every day type days...in the hopes that my boys will remember that when they are grown, and not the yelling and hollering to pick up dirty clothes or clean their rooms or whatever the issue de jour is!

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I'm a firm believer in "using the good stuff". I am trying to make special occasions out of every day type days...in the hopes that my boys will remember that when they are grown, and not the yelling and hollering to pick up dirty clothes or clean their rooms or whatever the issue de jour is!

I feel the same way too!!

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I agree with using all the "good stuff"...no one deserves it more than my family. I love nice things (not necessarily expensive) and I love things looking nice...for me mostly, but the family and I deserve the best I have.

It was heartbreaking when my Mom passed away and we were looking at all her dishes etc. None of them had any meaning to us as she always saved them for special occasions. When it was time to use them, she decided not to as it was easier to use the regular stuff.
Things that were her prized possessions meant little to nothing to us in a sentimental way.

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
Love, Love this book... i dip into each year.

Different things speak to me each year depending on what is happening, i keep it by the side of my bed and often refer to it.

I look forward to sharing it with others.

Pamelajane.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have taken all my friends and family's name and wrote then on the top of each page in my book (repeated over and over). Then when I read a page I say a little prayer for the person on that page.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I too love this book and have been reading through it since the late 1990's. As someone else said every year something else speaks to me. The author says that some years are for questions and some years are for answers. I have had years when there were so many unresolved issues, (health, job, etc.) and the next year all of the questions seem to be resolved. There is a lot of wisdom in the pages of this book and it always gives me a newfound appreciation for all of my blessings. I'm glad we're doing this book!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
I was doing a little catch up reading-I have also read this book over and over, but it still seems new-and was so amazed to read the entry (I think it was Jan 11) on "recession or depression". I know this book was published several years ago because i've had my copy for many years, so it's interesting that what she wrote all that time ago is exactly what is being said today during our "economic downturn"-exact words she used! Isn't that interesting? I'm hoping to catch up this weekend and start reading each day's entry on that day. I love the grace notes at the end of each month's entries. Very good stuff.

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
Cathymac, i also came across the same entry and thought how apt for the time, it gives hope that we came out of it before.

Pamelajane

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
I've never actually done the journals before, at least not like she suggests. I'm going to work on a graditude journal and the other one-what's it called-the illustrated (something) journal. I have a whole binder of magazine tear sheets with pictures of things I want, or would like to have or would like to look like or something...they might be helpful on this journey!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
September 1st. In reading the Joyful Simplicities for September I came across the suggestion to try "fidget pie". Will do so. Funny how I do not remember reading this before. I've only been reading this book since Oct 1996!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yep, I am still reading this book off and on. Loved today's message of grabbing some moments for ourselves.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yearly update

Yep, still reading off and on. I find it so cool that I read a daily message and it speaks to me like I've never read it before. Guess I wasn't ready for the message the other times I've read it.