Soggy Saturday, January 12, 2019

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by missjane, Jan 12, 2019.

1. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Good morning, all you Christmas Lovers!

2. missjane

Hi, everyone.

The rain started around 3 this morning and should continue all day. A flood is predicted for us come spring...but maybe not if it doesn't start snowing more up north. We live in the Delta region and Mississippi Basin of Louisiana. They're already started asking people to not drive on the levees around the river. As a crow flies, we're about 30 miles from the river.

I made a collage on the divider in my planner to try and keep myself motivated toward healthiness and self-care. I have to do something because I've let myself get out of control. I know I'll like myself better if I'll do what I know I'm supposed to do.

I made breakfast and loaded the dishwasher. DH is washing and folding clothes. I want to work on tweaking the budget, and then we'll go to the school.

I hope you all enjoy your day!

3. cmerth

cmerth Well-Known Member

Morning all!!

It snowed off and on all day yesterday and last night. We only got about 2 inches... mostly rain.

I have no real plans for today. Kiddo has a birthday party to attend. A hour away in snow and insane Saturday traffic. No sure why they don't do the party closer to home.

I had to undo my knitting last night. I dropped a stitch and it started to unravel. The thread is a bit slippery so I get to start over. Good thing to do on a cold and snowy day.

Miss Jane--- stay warm and dry.

4. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Good morning! It is still morning: I just checked! Lol

It has been snowing since early this a.m. We have at least four inches and still coming down. I wish it was the big fluffy flakes! But it will probably last until tomorrow a.m. All those small flakes...

So glad I have plenty of food! Lots of different things. I will probably still make chili, even tho N won't be over after all. It will be even better tomorrow. With cornbread. And a big ol' glass of milk. I am making myself hungry. I haven't even had breakfast and it is almost noon.

Jane, hope you won't get any flooding.
    Carrie, praying the Kiddo will be ok driving. My grandson has not driven in snow yet. I do not like to drive in it, either.

I started on laundry put away last night, but did not get very far. I will try again today. But first, dishes. No, first, I need to eat! Then dishes, and then the laundry put away. I want to line the drawers before I put the clothes in them. So, I should get busy. Have a great day. Stay safe, and be blessed!

5. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Good morning MHH friends!

It hasn't starting snowing here just yet today, but we already have several inches on the ground. They are calling for 3-5 with more in the higher elevations, beginning this afternoon. (that's us!) Slept in this morning...obviously needed it! Then got started on laundry, cleaning and bill paying. I did the epiphany blessings on the doorways, finally. I'm only 5 days late! o_O

My new healthcare requires me to now submit payments, but some can be done online and others have to be sent via mail. It's so frustrating because you don't know until you log in which to do, along with the amount of money hospitals charge for a simple service, such as a blood draw.

I have some school work to do today, along with odds and ends about the house. Laundry will take most of the day. Then maybe some binge watching tv in front of the fireplace with the hubby. We did our shopping late last evening while M was at ice skating to avoid the crowds this morning.

Pam...enjoy your day at home!
    Jane...stay dry! Best wishes on your journey to healthiness!
    Hi Carrie!

~peace and blessings~

6. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

The schedule changed for DH so he doesn't go in until the afternoon class today and tomorrow. We're not doing anything this morning that I know of but tomorrow morning we're going to go to the lighthouse for the sunrise to start our anniversary week. Makes sense to do it on the weekend instead of during the week and have to worry about traffic and the kids getting off to school. This evening we're going up to North Shore to see the waves, they are supposed to be up to 35' high.

I'm going to work some more on my hand knitting today, read, and schoolwork. Maybe run to the Commissary and see if they have what I need yet and I would like to run down to Barnes and Noble for a book that wouldn't ship here since they have a coupon going on until tomorrow. I also want to make a coffee cake from Carrie's blog. I have all the ingredients on hand. Better make my to-do list. I haven't done yoga in a couple days now. My left ankle is really hurting from halfway rolling it the other day, it was aching something awful last night on the outside and up the side of my leg. :(

My mom in Missouri sent me a video, they have at least 5 inches and it's still snowing but she said it was slowing down.

Jane- A collage is a great idea! Stay dry if you can!
    Carrie- Enjoy your snow and knitting, sounds perfect!
    Pam- Enjoy your chili!
    Lisa- That would be frustrating!

Enjoy your day!

7. housewife2

housewife2 Well-Known Member

good afternoon to all. stopped by wendys and got chili love theirs, waiting on snow to start. friend gave me some cookies i have movies i want to watch. im off tomo and mon so let it snow. have agood evening

8. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Hello all! It's in the low 70;s here and I've been sitting out on the lanai reading.

Didn't do much last night. I need to work on a website for my camping club but I can't get on it. Need some help from my "mentor" who is camping - but no rush - can do it Monday. Made a beef and asparagus stir fry for dinner now that I have a fridge.

Slept in today and DH and I went to try out the new bagel shop - which is not bad. Then we went to B & N. We both got books and I forgot to use my coupon:( Tonight we are meeting friends for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Friend is deploying and that is his choice.

Jess - the cake does look good! Were the waves really 35'?
    Pam -stay in and enjoy your chili
    Faye - you sound prepared for the weather
    Jane - hope you don't flood
    Lisa - busy day
    Carrie - enjoy your snow day

9. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good morning my lovelies.
    I am so over this heat, going to be hot all week again. Hitting upper 30's, low 40's all week.(100F-104F) I know it is Summer and all but way too hot for me.
    Busy day here, Sundays always are. I am trying to work as hard as I need to on Sundays to make the week ahead as stress free as possible.
    DD and BF have been looking at a fridge and washing machine to buy for the new flat so I think DH will go and look at that with them today.
    I am hoping that when I get all my jobs done today I can sit and do a bit of craft. Would like to finish DD BF stocking by the end of the week.

Best go and get dressed,
    Much love

10. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Evening! did not cough all night but did wake twice - still a good night's sleep. Did not do much today (except laundry) and a bit of decluttering. Guy was here to put the plaster on the walls. We are babysitting ds' dog and cat today and tonight. I have crocheted 2 more dishcloths. Chicken stirfry for supper with some rice.

DS and girlfriend are gone to Montreal for the Canadian hockey game. they will be sleeping at my sister's house.

'Night

11. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Getting through the to do list. Have changed the bed, swept the hard floors and cleaned the bathroom. DS has cleaned his bathroom and taken out the recycling and rubbish. Going to sit down for a while and do some crafting.

12. MrsSoup

Afternoon!

DD and I went to B&N and then got gas at Sam's Club and had lunch at McDonald's. We came home and walked down to friend's house because they offered us a motorcycle helmet for Eli. DD tried it on and it is smaller than the one we have so we took it. Nice of them to offer. I'm trying to decide if I want to sit outside and read or work on my blanket some more. I should probably do another skein and then go sit outside. I really should do some schoolwork but there's always tomorrow I guess. My class isn't even in session i'm just getting a headstart.

While at B&N I saw that they have Praxis Core study books. I thought about buying one, Lisa and Jane and any other teacher friends here, do you think it would be worth it? I need to schedule my exam but want to make sure i'm prepared because it's expensive and I don't want to have to take any part of it again.

I think I have decided to make an appointment for my ankle. It is really hurting and the kids are urging me to get it looked at. I'll try to get in first thing Monday morning so it doesn't mess with anniversary week too much. We'll see how it feels after hiking the lighthouse path tomorrow. It is paved, just incline all the way up. Or I could go ahead and schedule an appointment now for later in the week. Hmm, i'll talk to DH tonight.

13. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Jessica.....don't think the Praxis study book would hurt. Any help you can get is worth it. The Praxis has changed so much since I took it back in 1993...:eek:, and I understand that it requires a lot of knowledge in your specialty, as well as general knowledge. I know several teachers who have taken it repeatedly to pass.

The snow is coming down now. H got home about 30 minutes ago and said it was getting bad on the roadways and that he hadn't seen one plow truck on his ride home.

I was trying to get online to do some school work, but the program I am to use will only log me in as a student.
    Sigh. So much for getting ahead.

Have a restful night!

14. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Good evening all. I took dgd to gymnastics early this morning. 37 degrees outside. I wore my nice warm fleece thermals under jeans, t-shirt & jacket. Wouldn't you know, the heat was on in the gym. It wasn't warm, but it was somewhat comfortable.

I took DH to lunch, he wanted Japanese. I had tempura shrimp & veggies with salad. I've decided miso soup must be an acquired taste, and I'm still working on acquiring it. For the life of me, I cannot master chopsticks - they should issue bibs.

I fixed taco salad for dinner, and now I'm ready to kick back and relax. Have a good night!

15. jampss

jampss Well-Known Member

Evening all. I didn’t get on here over Christmas because we were all sick! Our Christmas dinner was cough meds. Ug. I’m still trying to get over the lingering cough.

So, Monday DH, me, and DS15 fly to Wisconsin where DS will go for 30-75 days for residential OCD treatment. He’s anxious about it all on one hand and ready for some help on the other. My mommy heart hurts for him. But this is needing. The good Lord opened the doors for insurance and the place to admit him ... so we are going.

luludou likes this.
  16. jampss

jampss Well-Known Member

Oh! And on a positive note in the middle of this OCD residential adventure ... DS15 got his learners permit!

Ahorsesoul and luludou like this.
  17. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

LC22 is here, well not here right now. She's at LC1 house sleeping right now. She helped around the house today and we both puzzled while DD slept. We also puzzled with DD when she was up. LC22 and DD finished watching Protector after dinner.

Tomorrow I'll finish up with the last few months of bank statement updates. BEFORE I begin to puzzle. Like I should have done today. lol

49 years ago my mom gave me a punch bowl set for Christmas. I was shocked because I had no use for it. It sat in the box for about 5 years until Taco Salad's became popular. Since then I used it more than any other bowl I have. I broke part of the rim today. The first nick ever. It's now in the trash can. I figure I have gotten my money's worth out of it. I did look at Goodwill today for another but they didn't have one exactly like the one I had. I'll check a few more shops this next week. I had two of them in the storage area that I think I gave away at the last yard sale. lol When she gave it to me I think the price tag said $3.98 from K-mart. Bet I pay more than that for a used one.

Have a great evening.

18. missjane

Hi, everyone.

It's been a long, but productive day. I got the budget worked out with the snowball payments through the end of the year. Lord willing, we'll be able to stay the course. I need to look at the insurances we have and see what we need to keep or let drop after I retire. I have a long-term and a short-term disability policy to protect our income that I should no longer need since I won't be teaching after May. Both are sort of expensive. I also need to decide what I'll do with my DROP money when I have access to it. I want to talk to a financial adviser and get some advice about it.

DH went to the school with me and we worked about 5 hours. I was filing papers, grading paper, putting grades in, and getting my assignments together for next week so DH can run them off for me at his school. He graded most of the papers. We folded the towels, dish towels, and aprons that were used for the cooking labs this week, too. While I was there, I tried to run off an assignment from my printer. Out of 20, yes 20, pages, I had two that were clear enough to use. This is the printer I'm supposed to use, instead of the teacher copier in the teacher workroom. My blood boils just thinking of it. That's why I'm trying to get everything together each week and let DH run it off for me. Another problem with having to use my printer is that unless I've created it myself and it's on my computer, I have to recreate it on my computer to make a copy if I've used all my copies on the teacher workroom printer. Frustrating and stressful. I have folders for each chapter in my textbook with all the activities I use, some of which I've pulled from other resource books, websites, or created them years ago and were saved to a jump drive I lost. If that's all I have of it, I have to take the time to do the re-creation of it, whereas before now, all I had to do was pull it out of the folder, go to the teacher workroom and run it off. ARGH!!!

DH and drove around a looked at some of the water levels. It's pretty high, but appears to be dropping. Afterwards, we went to Walmart to pick up a few things and ate supper at Subway.

DD21 had a mild meltdown last night. They had to do Parents' Night Out, and the people who run the program didn't give them any instructions about what to do. She said there was a 10 year old girl and an 11 year old girl who came with their younger siblings who told them what they were supposed to do. They had been before. I talked to her today, and she seemed okay, though. They are in for a lot of snow next week.

Carrie, I don't think people think about things when they plan them and how convenient or inconvenient they will be for others.
    Diedra, I know you'll find a replacement soon. I see them frequently at Goodwill. My sister has a beautiful one she got there. That's nice of LC1 to let LC2 sleep at her house.
    Pam, did you get the drawers lined? I read an article yesterday about how that is good for boasting one's mood...just that little extra touch. I bought my sisters scented drawer liners once.
    Jampss, will you and/or DH be relocating while DS is in treatment? Congratulations on the permit milestone!
    GrammaDeb, isn't that Murphy's Law to dress for something and it's the opposite? Hope you got the rest!
    Lisa, have you had to miss any school due to weather this year? Will H be able to make it back to campus for school?
    Jess, I agree with Lisa. I've known of several teachers who had to re-take portions of it. Our school district regularly sends out emails about training workshops for it. I agree that you should get the ankle checked out.
    Katrina, that's horrible heat! Knowing it's summer and that it's "normal" doesn't make us like it any better, does it? When it's that hot here, I just want to stay in under the A/C and do nothing.
    Lucie, I hope you are better rested tonight. Maybe you'll be as good as new by next week.

I'm off to bed. Night, everyone.

19. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

I have determined that Ex-Boss has adopted me as her mom since her's has passed. I got a call yesterday and was informed that her 6 year old's birthday party was today and would I pick up the cake and come early and help. I went and did the "mom" help she needed. DH and I prepped the fruit and veggie trays, did dishes before and after and left with the children. It was fun. The six year old calls tells everyone I am his babysitter or says that's "my Jody. I love it. My gift to him was a trip to the movie theater. I have switched to doing experiences with them rather then add to there many play things.

I came home and took a nap and did a little picking up. Almost ready to head to bed. Good night.

20. MrsSoup

Thanks for the input on the Praxis study book, I will go back and pick it up! The Math portion is what stresses me out the most.

DH and I went up to North Shore and grabbed dinner from a food truck and watched the waves from our outdoor table. Then we headed back. Traffic was backed up so it took a bit. DH is in the garage working out and i'm watching a recorded show. Up early tomorrow for our sunrise hike so heading to bed early.