Soup Recipes...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Mexican Shrimp Bisque

This is decadent! Nice for a ladies lunch event but really I look for excuses to make this. Double recipe if desired!

1 Large Onion, Chopped

2 T Olive Oil

4 garlic cloves

2 T all purpose flour

2 cups water + 4 tsp chicken bouillon (sub chicken stock!)

1 cup heavy cream

2 T chili powder

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp ground coriander

1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

1 cup sour cream

Avocado slices for garnish

Directions

1. In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

2. Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces if desired; add shrimp to soup. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Place sour cream in a small bowl; gradually stir in 1/2 cup hot soup. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Top with cilantro and avocado if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
OPTIONAL: Sub cooked small scallops for all or part of the shrimp. Cooked lobster meat would work too!

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN

Shrimp Bisque

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cans evaporated milk
2T butter
1# shrimp (precooked, shelled, deveined - chop up larger shrimp if desired)
dash of Worcestershire
dash of hot sauce
1/4 c cream sherry (add right before serving, best to add a little and taste test!!!)

Just heat everything through on low heat.

Reactions: Minta

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Moroccan Red Lentil Soup

6-8 servings

2 T. olive oil
2 large onions cut into medium dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin, preferably ground from fresh whole seeds toasted in a dry skillet
1 tsp. ground turmeric (or dry mustard)
½ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
7 cups vegetable broth
1 can (about 20 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 cups dried red lentils, washed and rinsed
Pinch red pepper flakes
Juice of 1 lemon
3 T. fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1 T. chopped fresh cilantro

Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook for another minute. Add the broth and tomatoes and heat to boiling. Pour into a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Stir in lentils, cover the cooker and cook for 4 to 5 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low, until lentils are tender. Stir in the pepper flakes, lemon juice, parsley and cilantro. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.

Option: Before sautéing the onion, sauté 1 pound boneless, skinless dark chicken meat cut into ½ inch pieces, in the oil until browned. Add the onion to the pan and proceed with the recipe.

MY NOTE: Red lentils were hard to find, so I used regular lentils, and it turned out great. When I finally found red lentils I tried it with them, and I thought it turned out too mushy. (DJ)

Reactions: AuntJamelle