St. Patrick's Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pam Spaur, Mar 17, 2019 at 4:55 AM.

1. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Top of the mornin' to ya! The day where everybody is Irish!

2. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Good mornin'!

It is almost 7 a.m. I have been awake for 2 hours. Now I must get up and throw my beef stew in the crock pot to be ready after church.

I was so tired yesterday around six o'clock. With my tailbone hurting, I came into my bedroom and laid down. By 7, I was asleep and slept till ten! Went back to sleep about 1-ish. I don't know why I was so tired.

Church today. I forgot to call MJ to see if she is going, but I doubt that she does. It's funny, because she will call sounding like she is at death's door. But change the subject, and her voice changes back to normal! Little faker! It's like when your child is trying to get out of school.

Norm is coming for lunch. I think I will fix some rolls or biscuits to go with the stew. I am so glad that Trading Spaces is back on television. I really missed that show. Paige Davis is as cute as can be.

Ok, my Irish peeps. Have a great day. But stay safe and be blessed.

3. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Good mornin' to ye all! I had an ancestor a loooong time ago immigrate to the US from Ireland, and as a lad he played a fife in the Revolutionary War. So I have always claimed a bit of Ireland as my own and felt justified in wearing a bit of green.

I made a Shamrock Shake Pie last night at about 10:30. Couldn't figure out why dh wasn't going to bed. He finally asked if he was going to get a piece of pie or if we were going to wait until today. Aaah, I see. Nope, I told him it had to chill overnight. So I let him lick the bowl & spoon, and then off to bed he went. Funny guy.

Have a great day!

PamelaG likes this.
  4. housewife2

housewife2 Well-Known Member

good morning to all. happy st .patricks day . going to see travis tritt and charlie daniels in concert tonite. only 47 now kinda chilly out. have a great day going to get a green shamrock today.

5. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Some people just can't say NO I do not feel like going. lol Years ago I was having a family reunion. At the time my Dad was living in Texas so I knew he would not come but sent an invitation. When he called to say he wasn't coming I just said that's fine and changed the subject. We talked for a few minutes. After we had hung up he had to call back to tell me the reasons he wasn't coming, it was like he had a list of them and had to get them off his chest. He was going blind, he'd had a stroke (years ago), he had high blood pressure, on and on went the list. The next year he visited his cousin who was just a few hours away from us. Never said a word that he was visiting the area. Now that made me mad. Better to have said he just didn't feel like coming to the reunion than to make up excuses.

6. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Jess, I remember when the Boy Scout made real derby cars that they sat in and raced down a ramp.

Dh is off to the car show with DS and grandson. They went last year and really enjoyed it.

LC22 (almost 23) is helping DD with a shower. DD is working on her loom coasters. She's trying to put fringe on one. I think it's too much fine motor control for her. It's day two and she only has half the fringe done.

Thanks to those who gave prayers to LC22. She says she is going to be fine.

Not sure about LC1. She is having a really hard time right now. She asked LC22 to stay over night at our house last night. Works out ok for us to give her some space when needed.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

7. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

Back to cookie booth this morning for 3 hours, at least it's at the PX this time so just a few minutes away. I may sit in my chair this time. I just feel awkward sitting when everyone else is standing. Doesn't feel right. I'm hoping DH will go to the Commissary while we're there, we are out of just about everything and it has to be done today, list or not. If he doesn't then i'll have to go when we're done. I would also like to get to Sam's today and just get it all knocked out. I've been putting it off all week. My assignment is in queue to be graded, #41 last I checked. So it will be a while. I just hope I pass and don't have to revise anything. I'm going to go ahead and start on my next class today if I have time.

The kids are on Spring Break and DH took leave for this week, so we need to figure out what we want to do. I would love to go on a morning whale watching cruise with breakfast included, just need to figure out what day and go buy the tickets. I think my friend wanted to come along with her kids as well, so will need to coordinate with her if so and check the weather.

Pam- That beef stew sounds delicious! Enjoy!
    Deb- Haha, that's too funny! The pie sounds really good as well. So many good food items today.
    Faye- Wow, that will be a great concert!
    Diedra- Will send thoughts for LC1.

Enjoy your day!

8. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good morning and happy St Patrick's day to you all.
    It is dark here and rained overnight, a few more weeks and daylight savings will end and it will be much harder to get up in the mornings.
    Work for me today, hopefully there are a few things for me to catch up on or the day will really drag by.
    I have DrillDance training tonight so will go straight from work. I am thinking of cancelling Wednesday night and giving the team a rest before the State Championships this weekend. We are training all day Saturday so missing Wednesday will not hurt.

I hope that you all have a great day doing whatever your heart desires,
    Much love,

9. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone.

I do believe our internet was faster when we had dial up than is it now. And, more reliable.

We had church this morning. DS and family came for lunch. I made spaghetti. Only two pans to wash...my kind of lunch. Just didn't feel like having a kitchen full of dishes to wash today.

It's sunny here, but still a bit of chill in the wind. I'm just thankful for the sunshine. We've had a lot of days with no sunshine and all clouds.

Not much else going on here. Everyone is napping. I must say it feels good to know we don't have to go to work tomorrow. Speaking of which, I received paper work about what to do with my DROP money. I have an option of taking a partial lump sum payment and receive monthly payments of the remainder, receiving only monthly payments without a partial lump sum payment, taking a full lump sum payment (with a 20% tax penalty - won't be doing that), or rolling it into an IRA or other investment. That's why I'm going to see the financial adviser Tuesday - to get some guidance about what may be best. I'll receive this money in addition to my retirement income. It's the money that was invested while I taught these last three years.

Hope you all have a great afternoon!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:07 PM
  10. MrsSoup

Afternoon!

The cookie booth went well I think. The two girls should each get over 60 boxes each added to their totals. DH didn't go to the Commissary and grocery shop like I wanted him to while I was gone so that is still pending on my things to do. He looked at the car he said and can't figure out why it's louder than it should be when it drives. He just left with the truck to get the motorcycle. Did I tell you it caught on fire on Friday when he was leaving to come home? :eek: They had to use a fire extinguisher to put it out. We just can't have two working bikes at the same time.

By the time we left the Commissary it was getting pretty busy so I think i'm just going to go to Sam's Club and get whatever I think I need there and pick up something for dinner and then go to the Commissary tomorrow morning first thing. I'll make a quick list of what I can think of and then just walk around and grab whatever.

Katrina- A rest is probably a good idea.
    Jane- Good luck deciding!

11. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Hello all! It's been a cloudy, cool St. Patrick's day in Tampa.

Every year my father would tell me that at one time the Lord High Mayor of Dublin was Jewish so I guess there could be some Irish in me;). I finally found a green scrunchie to wear.

Made corned beef, colcannon,(potatoes and cabbage and bacon)

soda bread and an Irish Cream Pound Cake for dessert. All has been eaten except the pound cake. DH had two helpings so I guess it was good. We've always had corned beef on St. Patrick's Day.

The big news is that yesterday we bought a new Airstream - a 2019 28' Flying Cloud. We hadn't intended to but were looking and you know how that sometimes goes. It's main advantages are a walk around bed, a convection/microwave oven and no regular oven, a dinette and two extra feet of space. It has lots of storage. We are trading in our old one so have to get that one cleaned up and move everything out and into the new one - our pickup date if March 28.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the holiday!

luludou, PamelaG and Ahorsesoul like this.
  12. MrsSoup

Congrats on the new Airstream Debbie and Mark! Exciting!

DH and I went to Sam's Club after he got back with the bike. I didn't see any damage on the bike from it catching fire other than there being fire extinguisher crud all over it. DD mowed the yard while we were gone and is now at the PX with a friend. My ankle is hurting from all the standing and walking around yesterday and today so I think i'm going to take it easy the rest of the day.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  13. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

The Corned Beef I made cooked up really nice in the Instant Pot. It had been soaking in brine since last weekend. I washed it all off before putting in to cook. After it cooked I put the meat on the stove's warming burner. Then cooked the carrots, potatoes and cabbage in the Instant Pot for 4 minutes. It was very good. I took notes so next year I will know what worked.

LC22 has left saying she will return next weekend. She pulled herself together this weekend from breaking up with her boyfriend. Not sure how LC1 is doing. She hasn't answered my messages. I offered her some corned beef so I'll put it in the freezer for her.

DD is heading for her bedroom and putting on her PJs. I think I'll do the same.

Have a good night all.

14. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Jessica, I didn't have time to respond when you explained about what's wrong with your ankle, and then I forgot about it. DS had tarsal coalition. The doctor diagnosed it when he was in the 8th grade. His main symptom was pain when he walked. He had surgery for it. They chipped away some of the bone that was fused in the joint to give him more side to side (lateral?) motion. He'll never have full motion in it, but it helped with the pain. He was on crutches for about 6 weeks afterwards, and then in a walking boot for about 4, I think...that was 20 years ago! He has a scar about 6 inches long under his ankle from his heel almost to the arch of his foot. ​

15. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Jane, some interesting options when it comes to your finances after retirement, I think seeing a financial planner is very wise.
    Debbie, an new airstream! How exciting.
    All of your St Patricks day menus sound wonderful, I love corned beef and cabbage with a little pepper sauce, one of my favourite dinners.

Just about finished up for the, looking forward to training and then home to my bed.
    Have a great night yáll

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  16. MrsSoup

Wow, thanks for the info!!

missjane and Ahorsesoul like this.
  17. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Now I'm having sympathy limping on my foot.