Staying healthy for Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Need to work on PREVENTION to stay healthy for Christmas.

I'm thinking:
- More water
- Regular exercise
- More veggies & fruits
- Probiotics
- Vitamin C
- Regular sleeping habits & ENOUGH sleep
- Some relaxation

etc....

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
http://www.canadianliving.com/healt...rn_the_tricks_for_ultimate_holiday_health.php

A whole list of interesting articles about staying healthy for Christmas. worth the read. I'll list a few I like here:

Holiday fitness-on-the go article- In the car (or at the desk!) easy exercises:
In the car
Chin tucks
Chin tucks will help offset the effects of prolonged computer work by decreasing your forward-head position and neck tension. ... pull your shoulders back and down and slide your chin backward as if it's a drawer that's closing. Hold for a few seconds and repeat 10 times ...
Deep breathing
To belly breathe, simply push your belly out as you breathe in – allowing your diaphragm to lower while sucking in fresh oxygen. When you exhale let your abdominal muscles pull in, drawing your belly button in toward your spine and squeezing the air out. Repeat 20 times to increase relaxation.
Squeeze, please
Prevent your bottom from migrating south this winter by squeezing your butt muscles together as hard as you can and holding the squeeze for 10 seconds. Repeat 20 times.

etc.... lots more in the article with exercises to do while doing housechores, playing with the kids.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
http://www.canadianliving.com/health/mind_and_spirit/12_healthy_days_of_christmas.php

12 healthy days of Christmas article - Nice! Great advent calendar ideas in this one

December 13
Get out the Scrabble board or another favourite game this evening. You may not get another chance for quality family time with party obligations and visitors popping by over the next few weeks.

December 14
Your feet are feeling the effects of marathon shopping trips and standing-room-only ****tail parties. Soak your tired tootsies in a footbath and pamper them with peppermint foot cream.

December 15
Get a head start on the upcoming family dinner by polishing the silver. Use a homemade paste of baking soda and water. Rinse well and dry with a soft cloth to leave your heirlooms gleaming and ready to impress the in-laws.

December 16
Turn off the TV early tonight and get a good night's sleep.

December 17
Pick up a red, white or pink poinsettia today to brighten your home.

December 18
Put on some rockin' holiday tunes and dance away those shortbread cookies with your kids.

December 19
Have your brood make personalized place mats for the extended family to use at the big meal.

December 20
Decorate a gingerbread house with your kids.

December 21
Take your honey for a drive around the neighbourhood tonight to see the fabulous spirit-lifting Christmas lights.

December 22
Inject a little magic (not to mention some fresh air) into your schedule with a sleigh ride for the family.

December 23
Treat your brood by going skating or tobogganing. You may just have the entire rink or hill to yourselves today.

December 24
Squeeze in one last visit to the gym before the big day. (Bear in mind, though, that it might close early today.)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks, Lucie!

It is important for us to stay healthy during the hustle and bustle of Christmas. Especially, because we are the ones that usually "Do" Christmas for our families.

I love the 12 Healthy Days of Christmas!

Annie

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Think my top three will be:
Sleep (keep the bedtime)
Yoga
Water

If I can do those I am WAY ahead of the game!

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
My brother-in-law is a male nurse and said that clean hands are essential for staying healthy.

He told us:

- wash your hands very well and often with soap. Especially after coming home, after toilet and before touching food. Don't forget to clean space between fingers, fingernails and back of the hand
- if possible use soap dispenser instead of a piece of soap
- change and wash your hand towels on a regular basis
- don't touch your face and hairs without clean hands (during his nurse education a teacher for hygiene told them, "You will never see my fingers in my face or hairs")
- have short and clean finger nails

Furthermore clean things which will be touched by many family members. These are eg light switches, door knobs and faucets.

Chilli

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Calcium Supplements -- I started upping this yesterday. (Two of those big green pills from Costco). Really helps the deep leg aches I get from standing so long when cooking big dinners like Thanksgiving.

Vitamin B-50 Stress Formula - I take one tab at mid-day when I need energy in the evening. Can't take it too late in the day or I won't sleep well.

Airborne -- Keeping this on-hand in case I come in close contact with a sick kid (which I have more than once this month). It saves me.

Handwipes -- I keep them in the car ALWAYS during Flu season. After every shopping trip I have the kids use them to wash off anything we might have picked up in the store or off the grocery cart.

Sleep -- Keeping the bedtime because our entire family is much happier the next day when we do. I have to really watch this because we all want to stay up late -- so instead I try to start the evening earlier so it feels longer -- which is easier now that it gets dark so early.

Exercise -- I've been dealing with an injury so have not been able to exercise as much in this past year (and wow am I feeling it). Made a chart and a deal with myself that I will do a certain number of certain exercises (push-ups, sit-ups etc) every day between now and New Years. It will add up.

Yoga -- I'd LOVE to do this.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great idea jamesfarnando

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Very good reminders!!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Thanks for the bump. I need to really look at this when I get time.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have a question for those who take Airborne. I finally bought some when I was stocking up on meds to keep on hand for the kids. I got the chewable kind and I ate one and it was just way too sweet. Is the one you dissolve in liquid better or is it super sweet as well?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Probably not so sweet. Not sure if most kids would drink it.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I haven't tried the Airborne, but just wanted to say Zicam really worked for me several times last year when I feel like I was getting a cold. I gave some to my CW when we were on a trip together and even she was impressed with how well it worked. She bought some to have on hand at her house.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Maybe I will try that Jane. Thanks! I'm trying to stay healthy until after Disney and with all the kids having this, that or the other i'm bound to get sick soon. LOL

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-...how-to-stay-calm-through-the-christmas-season
Good article.. here are the important parts:

Get outside...Make time to get outside once a day, even if it's just for 10 to 15 minutes. .The more you can get outdoors amid the holiday chaos the better you'll feel

Fit in fitness
No time to hit the gym for an hour? No problem.

•Go for three brisk 10-minute walks at different times throughout the day. By the evening you'll have fit in 30 minutes.
•Do squats and lunges as you wait for something to finish roasting in the oven.
•Keep a yoga or exercise mat ready on the living room floor. Whenever you have five minutes, do crunches, push-ups or your favorite yoga poses to tone, in between holiday chores.
•Park as far away from the mall as possible. While you shop, walk briskly rather than stroll from store to store.

Eat for energy
Make sure you eat small meals consisting of lean protein and lots of colorful fruit and vegetables. Snack on whole fruits, cut vegetables with hummus, raw nuts and low-fat yogurt. The healthier you eat while you're on the go, the more stable your mood will be.

Schedule breaks
...Every day (ideally twice a day), make sure you take a 20-minute timeout. Read a chapter in the book you have going, sip a cup of tea, listen to music – anything that isn't related to your holiday to-do list. Breaks will help keep you refreshed and ensure you don't get too bogged down with everything you need to accomplish.

Don't do it all
Ask for help. Your husband can hit the mall, your kids can start getting the house organized for guests, your mother can handle the dessert portion of holiday dinner – let other people shoulder some of the responsibility so you stress less and actually have time to enjoy the holiday season.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
http://www.allyou.com/diet-fitness/new-year-fitness-plan-00400000060286/

East and fast beginner exercises that can be done between the cooking and the cleaning preps.
Go look at the article for the pictures.

EXERCISE 1
ARNOLD PRESS
Tones: shoulders and triceps (those jiggly underarms)
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder level with your palms facing your body. Slowly push the dumbbells overhead, rotating your elbows out and your palms away from your body; touch the dumbbells together at the top. Bring your arms back to the starting position.
SAFETY TIP
Keep your shoulders down, and don't arch your back. Be sure that you don't lock your elbows at the top of this move.

EXERCISE 2
HAMMER CURL
Tones: biceps
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding dumbbells at your sides with your palms facing in. Bend your arms and slowly lift the dumbbells until your palms are shoulder high. Squeeze your biceps and hold for 2 seconds, then slowly return to the starting position. Be sure that your palms face each other as you lift and lower.
SAFETY TIP
Keep your elbows firmly at your sides throughout the move.

FAST FIX
Add swimming or the rowing machine to your regular cardio routine twice a week. These exercises work your arm muscles and give you a cardio workout to help get rid of fat. In 10 minutes, a 135-pound woman will burn 100 calories swimming and 80 to 90 on the rowing machine.

LOOK GREAT IN 60 SECONDS
Do 10 push-ups right before you slip into a dress, and your arms will look more toned. "It's what bodybuilders do before a big show," says personal trainer Schoenfeld. "It increases blood flow to the area, which creates a pumped-up look. The effect lasts for about an hour."