Summer Party Tips/Tricks

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
We love to entertain in the summer and are out boating, swimming and enjoying the beautiful weather but the sun gets to be a lot for the food. I bought a BUNCH of 1 ring mini pools at our dollar tree a few years ago. We fill them with ice and then place salads, dishes that need to remain cold, and soda in different "pools". They look really cool and festive while keeping all the food cool!!! During the summer our swim bag remains filled not only with beach towels, goggles, and water guns but also always include sunscreen, glow sticks, a kite, licorice, jelly beans, and a couple other treats. That way when someone says "let's go boating or swimming" we are out the door in minutes and I don't worry about what to pack!!! Our backyard has tiki torches filled and set up so that we can enjoy a fire in our pit and have friends over! I get peeps after Easter and put them in a basket with hershey's candy bars so we can grab that and run out to roast marshmallows and make smores! Just looking forward to that outdoor summer entertaining while it's still cold and snowy here in Wisconsin!!!

mammaduke

Retire Member
Jan 19, 2008
Rochester,NY
Thanks for the suggestions on the little pools to keep stiff cold. I have parties durning the summer all the time & that will help me keep the food cold.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
The little pools are a neat idea. We freeze gallon jugs of water and throw them in the coolers to take on the boat, then we have water to drink and it keeps everything else cool.
I also have a tupperware veggie tray that we fill with 5 varieties of gummy candy. We keep it in the camper and throw it into the boat when we head out.

I love the marshmallow peep idea for marshmallows. The kids would love that!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
The little pools are a great idea! And I LOVE the peeps idea! Thanks!

bun1

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Those are some neat ideas. I love them. Thanks for sharing.

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
I don't know if any of you have tried the drink mixes in bags, but they are available in specialty shops here in Wisconsin. They have dried ingredients in a plastic bat with nossel, then you add the alcohol and water-shake and freeze. When we got boating or camping, we throw this in our cooler which helps keep everything else really nice and cold, and then pour mixed slushy drinks into cups when we are stopped at a park! No glass bottles! It's a beautiful thing!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
One thing I do during the colder months is snatch up the clearence prices on bubbles and the misc. bubble wands and accessories.

Then come summer, I have a great way to keep the kids entertained outside.

I've found that buying a pack or two of the smaller bubble bottles works well because every child can hold their own.

But since they will ALWAYS spill them, I also have a couple of the huge refill bottles tucked away too.

I got the refill bottles for $1.90 at Meijer this past fall! Gotta love it!

;-)