Thankful Thursday 6/28/2018

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PamelaG, Jun 28, 2018.

1. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Good morning!

2. PamelaG

It's another scorcher here today - I really should go and get some groceries. If I get moving, I can be at Costco right when it opens, in and out in no time, and then home. Sounds like a plan. No volunteer shift today - I asked for every Thursday morning but we have a new volunteer coordinator and she put someone else in for today before she read the email with my schedule that was passed down from the old coordinator. No problem - it's nice to have a Thursday off.

I couldn't wait and watched the entire new series of the Great British Baking Show on PBS Passport. I'll still watch it on Friday nights but I already know the winner. I actually already knew the winner because although PBS says this is a new series, I've already seen it on the PBS station we had in Washington. There are still two more seasons to go - I've seen them both in Washington - but I don't think they have been shown here yet. I can tell this because PBS releases the DVD of the series and so far, they only have 1-5 and there are 7 with Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood as the judges.

Stay cool everyone - it's going to be 92 here today but I know some of you have temperatures higher than that!

3. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Morning! Forecast is 21C here with rain all day. Good to have some rain before the next few days that are to be scorchers. No gym this morning, came in with the car, will leave early too :) DH is picking up a used fridge for ds tonight.

Have a great day

4. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Morning all MHHers

Will be in the high 80s to day with a heat index of 95. Tomorrow's index is to be 110. I will be hiding inside tomorrow.

Today we planned to have DD a surprise Birthday party at the trout farm. Since she doesn't know it's for her she is complaining of all kinds of problems. Her knee hurts, her back, she is hearing things and her brain is bothering her. All things that are not a real problem but excuses to not go. Finally I told her she could stay home and we would go without her. She felt better immediately. She's gone back to bed now. lol Yesterday Dh said he would stay home with her if she didn't want to go so the plan was already in place. Since her birthday isn't until next week I'll ask everyone to hold their birthday items until then. I do not want to reward her for staying home today. But the rest of us will enjoy watching a 3 year old fish for his first time. LC1 is brining her granddaughter who loved fishing last year. It was this girl's birthday last week so we'll turn it into a birthday party for her.

Yesterday Dh worked on replacing some garden edging along the driveway. It will look really nice once it's done. The first time he did the edging he didn't match it to what was already there so it looked a little off. He did cut the dog fence wire so he repaired it but not in a waterproof way. Hopefully it will make it over the winter months but i"m not counting on it. If it breaks during the winter Twillow will not be able to go out. Boots will still have the fenced in backyard.

Wishing all a good day.

5. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Hello!

To be about 97 here!

I have the dishwasher going and have did dishes and dried them. Will go start a load of clothes here shortly.

I will topstitch the baby washcloths and they will be done. Want to get that gift out today/tonight. Might work on a dress for Teigan.

Garbage guys got a dozen chocolate chip muffins this a.m.. Use to be one guy now 3. They have picked up several routes. Their mom was a couple years behind me in school and then her 2 boys with my kids.

I better move along.

Pam, enjoy your Thursday off.

Wed like to get another fridge for the garage. So handy especially at holidays.

6. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

It has been raining here all morning so far, since i've been up anyway. Poor DH is out on a ruck march in this muck. He'll be sopping wet when he gets home and so will the truck seat. DD is heading out to Bellows this morning with our friends. The husband has an org day so they are taking DD with them. It's on the other side of the island but I think they are getting some rain over there as well and it will be windy. The waves are a bit big so she won't let them venture too far into the water and I doubt they will most likely leave around lunchtime.

I have an eye appointment this morning and i'll have to order new glasses since Tank ate my backup pair after eating my main pair a while back. :rolleyes: I will have to take Eli with me I guess. He's grounded from electronics so he can bring a book. I submitted one of my presentations yesterday and turns out it was for extra credit. I'm hoping my last one is that way as well and i'm hoping to get it done and submitted today. I'm going to schedule my final for Monday and then i'll be done with this class.

My boss texted last night and they have found a temporary replacement for the rest of my line and she will come tonight to work with me. We'll see how that goes and if she actually stays or not, unlike the other couple that came for the other part of my line. I need to make myself a list for today so I don't forget anything.

Pamela- Enjoy your morning off!
    Lucie- Raining here as well.
    Diedra- Sorry DD doesn't want to go but glad there was a backup plan in place and you can celebrate someone else's birthday too.
    Lana- Nice of you to make muffins for the trashmen.

Enjoy your day!

7. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Diedra, sounds like a good plan to replace with!

My cukes and onions are made--chillin now. I finished the washcloths. And getting ready for more laundry.

Allen is putting sand down for pool.

Jaymee and Teigan went to get Jays brows waxed. Today was Jaymees last day of summer school.

Ryan was home at lunch for a short time and boss called and said they were going to start square baling. He wasn't thrilled since he was told nothing extra today and had made plans to go fishing after work. 7 or 8 oclock but......

HOT out. We took kubota into town this a.m. to look at sunflowers and went thru woods here. Blackberries are starting to turn. We found a birds nest in the blackberries. a baby praying mathis got on the Kubota.

8. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone. I left the house around 8 this morning to go to the Crowville house and work outside with DH today. We're in the process of tearing down two lean-tos and a small storage house....making piles - keep, metal to sale, and burn...had two burn piles going today. Praying we didn't burn any poison oak or ivy and inhale it. :eek: We know what it looks like, but we burned a lot of fallen debris today. My hip and back are very tired.

The dry needling (Lisa, J may consider it if his back keeps giving him trouble. Pam, you too. Jess, I read it helps relieve migraines, too.) seems to have helped, but I had muscle cramps in a couple of places last night. I'm going to ask tomorrow if that's normal. They didn't say anything, but I read that having muscle twitching for 2 -3 days afterwards is normal.

I went by a local bank and picked up an application to work part-time. A former student of mine who goes to our church works there and suggested I apply when I was talking to her about some things going on at the bakery. She said they pay $10-12 an hour for part-time...more than I make at the bakery and will not work me more than 20 hours a week. I'm a little nervous...new situations always stress me out, if I'm hired.

Lana, I always like reading about what you see on the Kubota rides. It's hot here, too. Wish we could get some rain.
    Pamela, hope you made it our before it got too hot.
    Jess, hope the shift with the new worker goes well.
    Diedra, smart thinking for having a back-up plan.
    Lucie, any day you get to leave work early is a good day, IMO!

I didn't sleep much last night because of the leg cramping, so I'm headed for a nap. Have a great evening, everyone.

9. luludou

Spanish at noon was nice. 3:30 and I was out of there! doing dishes that were left on the sink, emptied dishwasher and made some macaroni-chinois for supper.
    DH is picking up a fridge with ds tonight and they'll be here later,.... gives me time to come here ;)

10. luludou

Ouf! my stress level is going down. DD was having problems with getting her medication - she finally got it after 6 months but when she went to get her new dose (1st one was given by medication company), they say insurance pays $1300 a month and she has to pay $350 a month!! she called back medication company to ask if they could help out, and according to her income it came to $175 a month... still way too much! she is going back to school in September. so she told the lady she'd have to change medication she just can't pay that much... finally they said $110 a month and after 3 month insurance company will pay in full. Geez! if she hadn't said a word it would've been $350! grrrr
    She finally got her appartment tonight but she works tomorrow and saturday so she can't do much now... she did get some stuff there.. she says it's really dirty :(

teachermomof2 likes this.
  11. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Good evening!

Busy day here today. It started out rainy, but ended up sunny and humid. We picked up a very tired M from the sleepover and headed to my post-surgery follow up. I am cleared to drive, but can't pick up more than 10 lbs for the next 4 weeks and no straining. I'm healing well. She said to give them a call if I have any issues and otherwise she'll see me the next time I need surgery.....hopefully never. LOL

Then we went to the Wine and Spirits store to pick up wine for a couples shower gift. I'm doing a gift basket with champagne for the wedding night and first anniversary and 2 wines for honeymoon and just because. I found free tags on Pinterest, but of course, my color cartridge is done. Has anyone tried Instant Ink through HP? I wonder if it is worth it.

Then we took M for a booster immunization shot at the pediatrician. Then I finally went to Dress Barn and used my gc from Christmas. Of course, I spent more than that, but got 2 pair of capris and 3 tops. Then we stopped at Home Goods to look for bedside tables....no luck, but did finally get Karla a new doggy bed. (She did well at the vet, but gained 5 lbs....she's 98 lbs now! Still in the normal range and not overweight , but the vet would like to see her down those 5.) We made a final stop at Michael's. I found a crate for the wine 60% off and picked up a decorative D for 2 dollars.

I couldn't wait to get home and take off my pants! :p The button was rubbing against my belly button incision and was irritating. I made meatballs when we got home and they are simmering in sauce until the spaghetti is ready for dinner. I'm waiting for H to get home from work and M to wake up from her nap.

J just fixed his weed wacker and is trimming the yard. I'm working on laundry, with assistance from the family, and just balanced the checkbook. I need to get my grocery list and menu made so I can shop tomorrow.
    My rings came for my den curtains, so I'll have J help me hang those after dinner.

Jane....I sure hope you can find work elsewhere. The bakery has been nothing but stress for you! The bank sounds great!
    Lucie...I'm sorry to hear about the issues with dd's medicine. Unreal.
    Lana....our blackberries were eaten by the deer, along with the blueberries. It's the first time they've done that here. J wants to get a fence up.
    Hi Diedra and Pamela!

Have a blessed evening!

12. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

DD28 is coming home this weekend and I am going to talk with her about her up coming wedding and relationship with fiance. Please pray for wisdom for me as I try to guide her. She will choose her fate, as a mum I don't want to see her get hurt.

Thank you it will be so appreciated.

13. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

JoDee, prayers are launched right now for you!

It is so blooming hot here! Will be for the next week! The heat indexes will all be well ever 100! Hate that. I plan on staying home tomorrow and try to do some work around here. Started in the bathroom this a.m. Got the toilet scrubbed and put drain opener down the sink. I was done for day!

That is about it for me. Thinking of you all. Do your best to stay cool. Drink lots of water. Keep an eye on your kiddos and the elderly. Take naps. Will talk to you tomorrow, I hope.

14. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good morning.
    TGIF here. DH is home and I had a lie in. Nothing much on the list today, a bit of tidying up and dinner tonight with DD and her BF. Doing chicken strogonoff and rice and vegies so not too much work. DD says she will make an apple crumble for dessert so will need to check icecream.
    Foggy and cool outside, very different to your heat. Take care and keep hydrated.

15. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Afternoon!

I went to the optometrist this morning and came out with two different prescriptions, one for computer/reading and one for distance and all the time. I went next door and ordered two different glasses. I picked up the first pair of glasses I liked for each purpose, tried them on and went with it. They were probably the cheapest frames they had for each at $89.99 each. I spent just under $400 for both pair with lenses and anti-glare on my all day wear glasses. I haven't decided if i'm going to get the warranty yet on them, it's $25 a pair for a year. It will cover them if the dog eats them and I have to pay 10% to replace them. I can do it when I pick them up if I decide to.

Eli and I got a milkshake for him and an iced coffee for me afterward and then came home. He started building legos and I watched the latest episode of The Handmaid's Tale. I made lunch and then he cleaned up his room and went outside. I just finished up my ornaments and they are drying and then i'll pack them up and get them sent off tomorrow morning. I should be working on my last presentation. Which reminds me, I need to schedule my final exam for Monday. Having that deadline will make me have to get everything done by then. I have a good chunk of the written part of the presentation done, just need to finish up and then record it and tidy up my writing because that part has to be submitted for this one as well. Then take my last test before the final.

Jane- Good luck with the bank job! I think you need to get as far from that bakery as possible. That woman doesn't know how to run a business and she's throwing you under the bus for her mistakes. Not good.
    Jody- Thinking of you and I hope everything goes well with your DD!
    Lisa- Glad you got the all clear!
    Lucie- At least insurance will start to cover it soon. It's a good thing she inquired about it!
    Katrina- Apple crumble sounds good!

16. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Jody, prayers and thoughts are with you.

We had a heck of a storm come thru and lost power for awhile. It split on each side of us so we didn't get the worse. I will shower in the a.m. I think unless I do it later.

Teigan got a box of 18 LOL doll surprises today and had 5 gold ones.

Corn is laying and some areas broken off. Some trees are down in town.

17. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Back home after a day out. Had lunch with DD and then went and got hair cuts. Next appointment is in 10 weeks and that takes us to September 7th. Good grief.
    Waiting for DD boyfriend to arrive for dinner.
    Bitterly cold outside, a good night to stay in.

18. PamelaG

I have HP Instant Ink - I pay $10.59 per month, haven't ever sat down and figured out the cost vs. buying ink cartridges from the store as I need them but it sure is convenient. I have a spare on hand and it seems like as soon as I get the message to change the cartridge, another one comes in the mail to replace the spare. My old printer took five different cartridges at something like $15/cartridge and I know I ended up changing them out at least a couple of times per year. We got it when we bought our new printer one Black Friday and it was free for the first year and then $10.59/month after that.

teachermomof2 likes this.