thanksgiving 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Those are pretty and uniquely shaped. It almost looks like a fancy dinner plate and not a paper plate. I had to look at the pictures carefully.

I was just at Walmart. What section of the store did you find them? The one on the left looks like it could be used during another time of year and not necessarily Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Minta

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Most stores should have a stand alone cardboard stand. Just like they do every Thanksgiving and Christmas with their paper ware the last couple years. Mary, if the one of the left was a full set of dishes I'd buy them in a heartbeat. It's up their with my all time favorite pattern of PW. I LOVE the roses and the colors.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I know Halloween is right around the corner but I keep thinking about Thanksgiving. I love The week of Thanksgiving ... the last minute rush of shopping and getting things ready at home, the baking and prepping the day before Thanksgiving. Nothing better then having a full house on Thanksgiving with the parade on in the morning, the football games on in the afternoon, the kids (our kids with our nieces/nephew) laughing and playing. I want to get some plain white dishes for Thanksgiving so I will be on the hunt for ones that I like that won't break the bank later this month.

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I love the picture you painted, Minta!!!

I am eager for Thanksgiving as well!

As to the white dishes - I don't know if you would like this or not but I have just collected dishes - regardless of any embossed pattern - in plain white over the years. Plates are usually found at the Dollar Store believe it or not! I've gotten them a KMart or Walmart too. Have a full set of 12 now.

I'm working on finding smaller white plates and have a few plain white platters and casserole type dishes now too. Found those at bargain stores, even IKEA. Even though it is sort of mix and match - when it's all white it just seems to "go" nicely! :)

Then you can play with your other table elements, runner or cloth, napkins, etc. and it all looks so nice!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I love the picture you painted, Minta!!!

I am eager for Thanksgiving as well!

As to the white dishes - I don't know if you would like this or not but I have just collected dishes - regardless of any embossed pattern - in plain white over the years. Plates are usually found at the Dollar Store believe it or not! I've gotten them a KMart or Walmart too. Have a full set of 12 now.

I'm working on finding smaller white plates and have a few plain white platters and casserole type dishes now too. Found those at bargain stores, even IKEA. Even though it is sort of mix and match - when it's all white it just seems to "go" nicely! :)

Then you can play with your other table elements, runner or cloth, napkins, etc. and it all looks so nice!

Thanks, My sister in law usually comes over early in the morning with her kids so the all the kids (ages 2 to 17) can watch the parade together while eating breakfast as she and I start working on dinner, chatting and just having fun. We love getting together for family dinners as well.
Yeah I have the dollar store, walmart and the Christmas Tree shop on my lists to check out. I am only interested in the dinner plates and dessert plates (16 of each) so I figured buying just the individual pieces might be best as I don't need the bowls or coffee mugs .. I have plenty of coffee mugs (regular and holiday themed ones)

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Michelle - Thanks. I will look for them in that area.

Minta - You summed up how I feel about Thanksgiving too.:D

I like AJ's mixed white plate idea. I have done that with the butter dish, salt & pepper shakers, creamer and sugar bowl. I picked up a white Corelle dinnerware set from Walmart a few years back. They have held up nicely for me. I don't know if you can buy them individually or not.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great idea for the mix & match white. I've been on the lookout to change my dishes for white but I too have too many mugs and don't need anymore and sometimes I don't like the soup bowls that go with the sets I like.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
View attachment 354 View attachment 355

If you use paper plates and napkins Pioneer Woman is putting out a Fall line that is gorgeous at Wal-Mart. Stores should have them in by now or soon. They are almost to pretty to use to be honest. Some people are taking the napkins and decoupaging them onto white pumpkins. OMG...I'm in love!! Brilliant idea!!

I saw those this week! Aren't they awesome? So pretty!! I bought a package of the yellow checked napkins, but I am thinking about getting plates too. Did you see the plastic flatware? So pretty!! Yay Pioneer Woman!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Oh...I did forget to post those. They are soooo cute!! Here is a picture so the others can see.

m16655233119_1.jpg

Reactions: jampss and Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Wow! I've never seen plastic cutlery look like that!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
AH-mazing! I looked for this line at our Walmart and didn't see it? Any tips on where it's been placed in the store? I assume an end cap or some other display unit - either our store doesn't have or I just didn't happen to walk past it. :(

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I couldn't find this in our Walmart either. I've been there twice in the last few weeks looking for it. Maybe it isn't being carried in all of the stores?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Check walmart's website, they are listed there but on as in store purchase and it will tell you if any stores in your area has it. The closest store to me that carries her plastic silverware is about 45 minutes away.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
They aren't selling any near me either. I did see that Pioneer Woman also has cute Christmas paper plates available in store only.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
4 weeks from today, I'll be getting some Thanksgiving leftovers out for dinner!

How are everyone's plans coming along for Thanksgiving?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Our grocery store is having a promotion when you spend $100 or more in 1 shopping trip you get a free turkey with the in store coupon. My mom and my mom combined our shopping trip last night and got a free turkey plus started picking up a few items we will need for our Thanksgiving dinner.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
That's a great promotion! We have to spend $400 over 4 weeks. Then it is a mad dash that last week with tons of people grabbing a frozen turkey. I imagine that your store is a bit saner with the $100 in a week between now and Thanksgiving.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
That's a great promotion! We have to spend $400 over 4 weeks. Then it is a mad dash that last week with tons of people grabbing a frozen turkey. I imagine that your store is a bit saner with the $100 in a week between now and Thanksgiving.

We have another grocery store that also does the spend $400 in 4 weeks to get a free turkey but I have not done that prompting since the other store started their $100 in 1 shopping trip for a free turkey promotion. Yeah it's definitely not as crazy as most people get their turkey early.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom