The Excitement Of Fall

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
HOW did I not know about Susan Branch!? She is another one of US!! Going to order some of her books for sure!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Fall is my favorite season I think! I love the colors, smells, just the feel of change in the air. Not sure how much "fall" we get here in South Carolina but i'm hoping it will be fall like. I have no idea where my wreath is right now, need to find it and get it up. We did go to Hobby Lobby the other day and I got two yard signs for the flower beds that are Fall. They had a lot more that I wanted but their prices have gone up since the last time I shopped there (3 years ago).

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The magic of MHH strikes again! :)

Love the blog!

Other fall things I am looking forward to are:

- Wearing cozy PJs and thick socks
- Sweaters!
- Bonfires! Camping!
- Picking apples with DH and DS
- Making apple cobbler
- Crunching leaves underfoot
- Sitting in our house that is all decorated for Fall, having all the lights off but the white twinkle lights that I put up and just enjoying the moment!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
How i agree with all actually have one of my pumpkin spice candles going and i'm all set for making my pumpkin fudge and AuntJamelle i enjoy making apple cobbler with my fresh picked apples.

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
Ok you ladies are making wish for fall.......as much as I hate wishing time away.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
How i agree with all actually have one of my pumpkin spice candles going and i'm all set for making my pumpkin fudge and AuntJamelle i enjoy making apple cobbler with my fresh picked apples.

Pumpkin fudge? I've never heard of such a thing.....going to be searching for a recipe now!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
FrostyShimmer the fudge is wonderful,i sell alot of that as well as the maple fudge,boy,it's chilly had to put my heavy fleece jacket on brrr,got cold quick here.Fudge recipe i have on pinterest actually i have many things there with the recipes a just put that little tweek on them.I'm looking to do a pumpkin-cider fudge,have to find just the right recipe so it comes out perfect,going to wax more leaves today and collect more acorns.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
We don't have a traditional Fall season here. And we call it Autumn not Fall anyway. Decorating for the seasons in not really a thing here- or at least nowhere I have seen. We do have the falling leaves and cooler weather but often in Sydney we miss it- Summer kind of stretches out and then it feels like all of a sudden Winter has arrived!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I LOVE Fall and love the snow too. I love the cool crisp air, chilly nights, all the beautiful, rich and vibrant colors of fall. We decorate for fall, halloween and thanksgiving. Outside I love the decorate the front of the house with hay bales, corn stalks, pumpkins and mums. If things go right we will be in a new house come mid Oct and it has the perfect front porch for decorating.

Every Halloween I look forward to walking the kids around the neighborhood trick or treating and the sounds of leaves crunching under my feet.

I seem to use my crock pot more in the fall/winter. Love to make soups, stews and chili along with some home made bread/rolls. I usually kick up my baking in the fall too.

Picking apples to make apple pie filling, applesauce, and apple butter and then can them all.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I like Fall also. Spring used to be one of my favorite seasons but Fall is quickly taking its place. The colors of the trees changing is wonderful. I love the fall candles (sweater weather from BBW is one of my favorite), all the pumpkin flavors and the changes in store decorations. I don't have a lot of changes for my decorations but do have some. I don't do a lot directly for Halloween so I like ones I can change from Halloween into fall (read jack o lanterns you can turn around to the back).

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I saw a great and really easy Fall craft idea the other day.

You take a roll of toilet paper and wrap a few plastic bags around it to plump up the middle. Then you set it on top of a square of orange fabric, gather the fabric up around the toilet paper and tuck the ends into the hole on the top of the roll of toilet paper. Then, you just poke a stick in the hole...maybe a few fake leaves or waxed leaves, and voila, a pumpkin for your bathroom, which conveniently hides a spare roll of toilet paper!

I'm going to try to find some cheap fabric this week and let my girls each make one.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
FS that sounds like a cute and easy craft.

We are heading into spring here so a whole different season. We don't typically decorate for fall (autumn), but it is my favourite time of the year.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I am looking forward to fall this year. I've been looking on the Internet for economical ways to decorate for fall, although I have a lot of fall decorations! I really need to purge them. I keep red, white, and blue through Labor Day...just seems easy to keep it from Memorial Day through July 4th, and on into mid-September. We're so hot until October that we can't really re-do flowers until then and pumpkins rot if we put them out too soon.

I love fall decorating almost as much as Christmas!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Minta - I will be canning all three of those things this year! I'm SO ready! I have a gadget that attaches to my KitchenAid that makes the applesauce such a easy job...it's like a little kitchen miracle!

I'm all stocked up on ClearJel to make my pie filling and I'm licking my lips at the thought of the Sweet and Chunky Spiced Apple Butter I've made in years past. Could eat that stuff out of the jar with a spoon!

Another thing we tend to do in fall - at maybe one or two events - like a camping trip or a chainsaw party* is to get out the turkey fryer and deep fry things.

Fried Dill Pickle Slices is a favorite! Dipped in ranch - YUM! And I have about 7 gallons of dill pickles in the refrigerators that will work nicely for that this year! Well it will use up a good chunk of them anyway!

Another thing I've always wanted to do is use the turkey fryer on a camping trip to make doughnuts - or doughnut holes - either a pumpkin flavor or something with an apple cider type twist. Have just never made it happen - maybe this is the year!

*Chain Saw Party = When friends have trees down - or need to take trees down - on their property and all the guys play with their toys (chainsaws, four wheelers, etc.) while taking care of the tree, cutting it up and stacking in wood pile. The wives and kids hang out, prepare food, do a lot of grazing and talking...

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
looking fwd to fall so much. cooler weather my pumpkins are growing really good. I cant wait to decorate for fall. we have some cute things at work this year.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Yes! Fall is my absolute favorite season. The air has been a little cooler here in Michigan this week, so it's getting me so excited for the change in the seasons and the upcoming holidays.

My favorite things about fall in Michigan:

- Pumpkin EVERYTHING! I love to make homemade pumpkin bread and other pumpkin spice goodies, burn pumpkin-scented candles, etc.
- The colors of the leaves... Michigan is a beautiful state to go for scenic drives in the fall to look at the fall colors. I discovered a new potential route just recently and I can't wait to go back and see it all decked out in nature's glory for autumn.
- Boots, jeans, sweaters, hoodies... *Love*
- Crisp, frosty mornings... Perfect for pancakes and hot chocolate!
- Wild geese on the wing, summer songbird migrations, and the arrival of winter songbirds
- Golden cornfields and combines... Watching the hustle and bustle of harvest season...
- Visiting a cider mill, drinking fresh cider, and eating cider doughnuts
- Going to a pumpkin patch and carving pumpkins for Hallowe'en
- Decorating my house for fall...
- Thanksgiving and the upcoming holiday season! Last year was my first year hosting Thanksgiving dinner and I'm doing it again this year! :) I just love having so much family around and putting together a delicious meal for everyone to share.

Just listing all of these things and thinking about them has me SO excited.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
K and I just took Beau for a walk and as we were walking down the street, leaves were falling off of some of the trees.

I almost did a happy dance, but K said she would disown me if I did.

Fall is coming!!!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
LOL Mel, I would have broke out into the craziest dance in the world JUST to embarrass k. Paybacks for all the times they've embarrassed us. Hehehehe!

This morning I was so frustrated while being put on hold for well over an hour with the Home warranty company for my father in law that I kept picking up, rearranging, putting away and wah lah, my dining room was spotless. I started putting up a few fall decorations as a centerpiece on the large table and now I'm ready to do the whole house. Heck, I need to be put on hold more often since it forces me to do something with my time. LOL

We have our first cool front coming in as I type in a roar of thunder and lightening. Yesterday we had a heat index of 112º and tonight we are supposed to be down to 69º. I am thrilled although I know this will create an explosion of sick people with that much of a drastic temperature change.