Things to do now for HGP/HHP 2018...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, absolutely must plan us time. I will have a hair cut and colour around December but will also book in for mani/pedi.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Oh, I just thought of something else you can do ahead of time...Make up a 2018 Holiday Spruce Up list and the buy the necessary supplies.

Holiday Spruce Up List - For some reason, when I've done this list in the fall, I really notice things like paint chipping, dirty siding, spots on carpet, etc. :rolleyes: I never have enough time to do those more time consuming tasks before December. Last year I made a decision that in January I would work on the big projects from the Holiday Spruce Up List. I had three particular big projects that I wanted to do and I finished up the last of those projects a few weeks ago. :) I'm going to start the 2018 Holiday Spruce Up List list this week and make some decisions on what to do in the next few months.

Reactions: luludou

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
When I know I have a heavy weekend of cleaning I like to make a couple casseroles (1 for breakfast and 1 for dinner) also I will plan meals during the 2nd half that will produce left overs that can used up over the weekend.
Do any of you ever make the breakfast casserole that uses eggs, sausage, and cheese, and if you do, have you ever frozen it? Some people put bread in it, too. I was thinking of making it ahead, but have never frozen it...just always made it the night before. I'm thinking the eggs might not freeze well????

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Eggs that are already cooked can be frozen - for example you see instructions for freezing a baked quiche often enough. However, every time I've read you can do that there is a note that it is only for up to 2 weeks.

Eggs are tricky in the freezer I guess. Uncooked I am completely unsure about - you'd really just have to test it out and see what happens?

Another option would be to pre-cook, crumble and freeze the sausage. Tear the bread into chunks and pop into a Ziplock and freeze that. Pre-shred the cheese and freeze that. Bundle all the bags together in the freezer so you can pull out and quickly assemble the night before.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Do any of you ever make the breakfast casserole that uses eggs, sausage, and cheese, and if you do, have you ever frozen it? Some people put bread in it, too. I was thinking of making it ahead, but have never frozen it...just always made it the night before. I'm thinking the eggs might not freeze well????

I have never froze them either. Just made them the day before.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I’ve frozen Quiche cooked without problems.

Reactions: Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Do any of you ever make the breakfast casserole that uses eggs, sausage, and cheese, and if you do, have you ever frozen it?

I have never frozen it. I've precooked the sausage and frozen it before but never thought of freezing the cubed bread and shredded cheese before as AJ suggested. That sounds like a good idea.

I have whisked up the eggs hours prior to needing them and kept them in a covered container. That has helped when putting the dish together during a busy day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Not sure about freezing eggs either. I suppose that you could make a casserole, freeze it and see how it works.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi AJ!!
It is August and I'm just logging in the first time for the season! Always great to log in and see the names of all my Christmas buddies! Its crazy here with much much much happening in the family (all fine, just busy). Will be popping in and out only occasionally over the next couple weeks but should be ready to go with the start of HHP. But yes, I'm currently looking at the items you mentioned. Thank you for the list! We are packing DD off to college and and moving grandpa into a retirement home so we are taking advantage of the opportunity and getting a LOT out of the house. I'm doing much of it with HHP in the back of my mind. Its coming up fast! :) (And I'm SO behind on my freezer meals!).

One of the things I want to fix before the season changes this year is LIGHTING. In the areas I do my wrapping and such. I spend much time in these rooms around the holidays and because they are hidden away in corners of the house they tend to be dim. Need to fix that. There's lots of stuff on sale right now for College Back to School. Lamps are among those items. In fact, LOTS of decor stuff and storage boxes are on sale right now so am starting a bit early on the bedrooms and keeping an eye out for items that need repair or updates.

Wish me luck! See you on the forums! :)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I keep getting logged out too.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
WooHoo! It's always good to see you here, Cindylouwho! We're just that much closer to HGP/HHP!

I had a thought about those locker organizer shelves that you can buy during the back to school season. They are 12 in. in height so they'd be good for placing spray bottles underneath. They are also good for small spaces. They are about 10" to 11" wide. I think I may pick some up for underneath our kitchen sink.

upload_2018-8-17_22-53-22.png

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Guess it’s a good thing that I start the HGP a couple weeks late. Received word over the weekend that starting this week that all front steps and the attached sidewalks are finally being replaced. I live in a townhouse complex. Now to find a mailbox that both DH and I like.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Rose94 I would put that area last on my list.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Rose94 I would put that area last on my list.
I usually wait till Canadian thanksgiving weekend to give the front step area a good final cleaning as by than most of the trees are bare,and less raining days. I do hang a wreath on the front door once it hits fall but need to sweep leaves up often.
One drawback till waiting till the end of th HGP is that by than we may have a foot of snow on the ground. Been know to snow here by end of October.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have been working on doing an inventory of all our freezers. AND throwing out things that are too old! AND putting like things together instead of scattered whichever way they got thrown into whichever freezer!

Still have a bit more to do but it is already much better!

Now as I start to buy things off the Master Grocery List that can be frozen, like butter, flour, etc. I can be a little more organized about it....

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went through our deep freezer last week to inventory what we had and to organize the food already there. That felt good getting that part done.