Throwing away paperwork

Discussion in 'The Declutter Club' started by farmerswife, Sep 3, 2018.

1. farmerswife

farmerswife Active Member

How long do you all keep your paid credit card bills? I know we need to to keep tax related paperwork for seven years not sure what the rule of thumb is for credit card bills.

Thanks.

2. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

Laurie Can you access Credit Card statements from online? Mine is a with our bank and I have access that way.

3. farmerswife

Yes. I guess that answer that question.:)

4. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

I keep all my monthly bills I pay through out the year in seperate folders labeled with the months name and then when pulling stuff out for taxes I throw the paid bills away if they aren't used on taxes.

farmerswife and Miss JoDee like this.
  5. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

1 year unless it's Something with a warranty on it. Used to keep it like forever!

farmerswife likes this.
  6. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

I too keep any thing like that for 1 year. Gas, electricity and phone I keep for 1 year also and then shred. I feel if there is a problem they would have contacted us.

farmerswife likes this.
  7. farmerswife

Thanks everyone. I usually keep everything for 7 years. But with so much being done on computers now, I have so few bills being sent to the home, it got me thinking how long should I be saving these for. I have recently like within the last week changed over from a month system which I used for 30 years to a subject system. I found that now that we are empty-nesters, and so much of our stuff is done on the Internet or by phone I just didn’t need 12 folders.

8. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

The bank officer went through my big file and I shredded half of it today

9. Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom Member

We have had a home business and keep everything for 7 years. A lot is on the computer / flash drives but printed out anyways to do spread sheets for the accountant.