Tip for shopping year round.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Belles

Retire Member
:happynewyear: It's been a few years since I used this tip for getting my shopping done all year; but I've already started
so I'm going to try to stick to it. For all the family gifts that we give, I purchase everyones Christmas gift on thier birthday,
I start January 3rd on my neices birthday and finish up November 17th on my mother in laws birthday. The only ones I don't buy for on thier birthday are my boys and husbands, can't afford birthday/Christmas all at one time! It use to work for me, maybe it will help you. If anyone else has any tips, please share.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Good tip. Wouldn't work for me though only because of the way birthdays fall. We always have 2 to 4 birthdays days apart.

I don't buy Christmas gifts on everyones birthday but I try to set aside money on their birthdays towards Christmas gifts BUT finances ran short this past year so I hope to get a better new year financially!!! I know alot of my family members change their likes and needs throughout the year so money or gift cards prepurchased is more helpful, otherwise I am stuck with a gift that needs a new owner which means less usable space to my gift closet (luggage bags)!!!

Belles [Just an Idea] maybe on your families birthday (DH and DK's) you can purchase some of their stocking stuffers for Christmas!!!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Good ideal, but I have 4 or 5 smaller kids to get for and think their sizes will change since all their b'days are Jan.-April. One is in Nov.. I am going to try to take $20 out of each of our pays and put that back. Would also like to try the gift certificate ideal with maybe a $25 one monthly to like Wal-Mart one month and then Krogers the next. We get groceries about half and half from each. I get alot of baking stuff at Aldis but they don't offer gift certificates. Or at least a few years ago when I asked they didn't. I thought of them for some of my great aunts.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
If buying gift cards ahead of time remember to watch to see if they charge monthly service charges alot of them do.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Great idea! Not a lot of shopping options where I live, so a shopping trip on the person's birthday wouldn't be doable for me, but using it as a deadline for having their gift would certainly keep me on track.

KimD said:
If buying gift cards ahead of time remember to watch to see if they charge monthly service charges alot of them do.

I think mine is one of the states that made it illegal for the expirations and charged fees for non use of gift cards!!!

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Haven't had much luck with buying birthday & Christmas presents at the same time since my birthdays are grouped pretty close. I have noticed that birthdays are a great time to get hints about what someone may want for Christmas. I try to use get togethers to ask in a round about way to get suggestions. Shopping for stocking stuffers early/on birthdays sounds really good!

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
I don't think that i could do this, simply b/c how do you know what to buy for christmas in may?? I think what I could do is buy a gift card in the amount that I would spend, that way at least the finanical way is taken care of. How do you guys know what to buy???

MissyToes

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I am proud of myself-I have now 1/2 of 2008's Christmas presents! Before the weekend is over I want to have it all categorized in my planner-with the pictures I took of the things, and then I want to wrap before I store in my rubbermaid containers! THEN I will take another bubble bath to celebrate ! :jumpinghearts:

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
MissyToes-
You've got $$$ left after Christmas?!!!! Just kidding...INCREDIBLE job! :applause:

Wow!, I am super impressed!!

Any tips...I've got nieces & nephews whose interests change with the wind.

Thanks,
Pippi

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I, like many of you, would have a really hard time buying that early in the year. My kids' bdays are March thru May...the thought of figuring out a bday AND Christmas gift then seems very difficult. I start my Christmas shopping by early October and sometimes by December they are not even talking about what they wanted back in October because they saw something completely different they HAVE to have.

Those of you that can do this and are even doing shopping now for Christmas, I'm impressed and jealous! :mrgreen: :lol:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Some people, like my DH, might mention something in June or July that he'd like to have, and then buy it for himself by the time December rolls around! He's ruined more surprises that way! He's so hard to buy for. And as many of you have said, the things that kids want can change with the wind. But, there are some people that I could buy for early. I'm using the date their birthdays fall on (say, the 11th of each month) as a reminder to think about what they might want/need/use, as well as planning their birthday parties.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
MissyToes, you are my hero. You took action. Congratulations. I would like to get started too. Maybe during Rudy Day (or Rudy Day Weekend - as I am thinking of January Rudy Day.)

I agree that buying things this early will not result in the greatest match between gift and recipient. (And for big gifts for children, it doesn't seem like a good idea to buy so early.) But for adults we love - and for small classic gifts for kids (like art supplies) - its a great idea. I am trying to live the idea that "done is better than perfect". Actually, i never have done perfect.